Reputation of the PhD program

kilomole

Hi guys,

I have been a longtime lurker here. I recently heard back from all my offers, and I would like to hear some opinions on some of the programs. I am interested in heavy basic science research topics (e.g. membrane trafficking and organization) with a heavy leaning towards biochemistry.

I got accepted to: Columbia Integrated Program in CMB, Yale BBS MCGD, UTSW, and Baylor's.

I have pretty much ruled out Bayor at this point. It's a great program but I didn't find any particular researcher whose project interested me.

I have also decided not to go Yale at this point due to personal reasons.

So it comes down to Columbia or UTSW. I encountered many great researchers at UTSW. I think they're doing projects in areas I am very interested in. I already know a few researchers there in the field, so I have no doubt I will find an excellent PI to work with. I also really liked the environment down there. People seem to be down to earth and more modest.

I also met many researchers at Columbia whose work interested me greatly, and the topics tend to be more diverse. Although their research is not in the area I am familiar with, I see more opportunities to branch out and try different research topics there.

I just wonder how important is the recognition of your PhD institute once you graduate? I plan on pursuing academia, so I'd really like to continue postdoc at a top notch research institute after graduation. I understand that UTSW is rising fast in basic science research, but it probably isn't as recognizable as Columbia or some of the other top biomedical research institutes. I would also like to hear what people have to say about the two programs at UTSW and Columbia.

Thanks !

I have a friend at UTSW now who absolutely loves it and has nothing but great things to say about the program.  Something to consider though - because it is not tied to an undergrad campus, teaching (TA) positions are not readily available.  If you want to get true teaching experience, you'll have to seek out community college and university TA/adjunct positions in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  She's having to do this now because she ultimately wants to teach at the university level and wants/needs some experience prior to applying for post-doc academia-related positions.  That's the only "downside" she stated about the program there though - the research is top notch!!  I would have applied if I had the grades/scores to match what they're looking for.  Best of luck with your decision!

While I was interviewing, I met someone who turned down offers at JHU and Columbia to go to UTSW.

UTSW is every bit as competitive as those other schools that you listed in the biosciences, and at that level, I think the differences in reputation shouldn't factor into your decision.  Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I just wasn't so sure about UTSW as I haven't heard many people talk about it here. But from my experience, they seem to have a lot of young faculty doing great research.

Immunologist, I think I met that friend of yours during my interview weekend! She was super nice and helpful.