Ohio State University 2014

elisewin

Hi y'all!

I'm planning to start my PhD in Japanese Art History at OSU next Fall.

I'm going to be a Fulbrighter for the first couple of years, but after that I'll have a TAship and tuition/fee waiver to support me during the remainder of the program.

I'm still checking options regarding housing. Never been to Ohio before, so I feel quite lost! I'm thinking maybe on campus housing might be the easiest option for an international student like me, so I can get to know the place better before hunting for a more definitive place. Nevertheless, I'm open to ideas, if anyone is looking for a housemate!

So, anyone else going to Columbus? :)

As a current buckeye, who is also a resident advisor, I would definitely recommend on campus housing! There are special options for graduate students! Living on campus will give you a chance to really experience what OSU has to offer! Feel free to message me if you would like my email! I'd be happy to give you more information! Go Bucks! Congratulations!

Hi! Thank you both for your advice. I had already been checking out that thread, but just wanted to introduce myself with my status/thoughts to see if someone else would do it as well...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an amateur, I'm singing with my boyfriend all the time but won't dare to say I'm good at it :P I can play a few things on the guitar, and I'm hoping to get better. I must find people to go to gigs with, though!

Hi all,

I'll be attending OSU in the fall, too, and I'm beyond excited. Columbus is a cool city with lots of things to do. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a musician, although I'm into listening to music, going to gigs, etc.

Like elisewin, I'm originally from Europe but currently live in Central America. However, my SO started his PhD studies at OSU last year, which is why I'm already somewhat familiar with Columbus. We rented a house last week and I'll probably move to Columbus in the beginning of August. We found our place on Craigslist, but it is somewhat tedious to go through all the listings; I find www.padmapper.com clearer than the map function of CL. 

Edited by pohks

HI there!

Where in Europe are you from? I'm from Spain :)

I've decided to move into the Neil Ave Efficiency apartments, at least until I get used to the city... It's really cool your SO is gonna be there too, I hope mine comes eventually as well (although he will have to get a job and a visa of his own...).

Looking forward to meeting you all!

HI there!

Where in Europe are you from? I'm from Spain :)

I've decided to move into the Neil Ave Efficiency apartments, at least until I get used to the city... It's really cool your SO is gonna be there too, I hope mine comes eventually as well (although he will have to get a job and a visa of his own...).

Looking forward to meeting you all!

I'm from Finland. :) And yes, the situation is quite optimal; I'm stoked that my SO will be in Columbus. Hopefully yours can join you at some point, too.

I've heard some good things about the Neil Ave Efficiency apartments; you can walk to classes, they are relatively close to Short North, etc. Obviously they aren't the cheapest housing alternative, but staying there in the beginning saves you a lot of trouble and hassle. Do you have to sign the lease for a year or can you stay there for a shorter time?

Looking forward to meeting you all, too!

It looks like you take the apartment for the year, but you can leave before the second semester as long as you follow the rules regarding notice (I believe it's 40 days or so, each semester has a deadline). So I might do that if I find something nicer that fast!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I will be joining OSU this fall too, so nice to meet you all! :)

It looks like you take the apartment for the year, but you can leave before the second semester as long as you follow the rules regarding notice (I believe it's 40 days or so, each semester has a deadline). So I might do that if I find something nicer that fast!

I just received their offer for an available unit, and I love that all utilities are included plus it's furnished :D I'm international too and it seems like the best possible option at the beginning considering the silly no-arrival-before-30 days rule! But regarding breaking the lease earlier, where did you find this info? I would love to read up on it, since I previously asked about lease duration (9 months) and they said I can only get out if I graduate or drop out basically. I would want to move out soon too since it's quite pricey.

I was wrong, I'm really sorry! I misunderstood something they told me, but I asked and they confirmed it's until April. I'm taking it anyway, because renting from abroad can be a nightmare and I'm hoping I'll meet more people this way.

I was wrong, I'm really sorry! I misunderstood something they told me, but I asked and they confirmed it's until April. I'm taking it anyway, because renting from abroad can be a nightmare and I'm hoping I'll meet more people this way.

Oh no problem! I decided to say on campus too, just for the convenience and safety during my first year. Have they sent you the contract yet? Oh and I forgot to introduce myself: I'm moving from California to Ohio this fall to start my Ph.D in Communication, so I'll have a lot to learn in and out of the classroom :D Nice to meet you all!

Hi folks,

I'm starting the African American Studies Master's of Arts program this Fall.  I'm from North Carolina and I'm currently in the process of looking for apartments.  I also will be TAing this Fall.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When are you guys planning to arrive in Columbus? Anyone attending the TA orientation session?

I'll be there August 13 since it's the move-in date for the graduate housing and yes, I will be at the TA orientation even though there's no TAing for me the first year. PM me if anyone's interested in meeting up ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all - I'm here already and exploring the city. If you're here early, too, let's hang out and find something new in Cbus.

Awesome! How was the move? It wasn't too far, right?

My wife and I get into Columbus in a couple weeks. We should totally hang!

Awesome! How was the move? It wasn't too far, right?

My wife and I get into Columbus in a couple weeks. We should totally hang!

The move was a move - it was cross-country (South to North), in a uHaul with my fiance and our two cats in the cab, but we made it and we LOVE it here.  The city's full of pleasant surprises. Let's definitely meet up once you're here.

The move was a move - it was cross-country (South to North), in a uHaul with my fiance and our two cats in the cab, but we made it and we LOVE it here.  The city's full of pleasant surprises. Let's definitely meet up once you're here.

Count me in too! I love how you already called it Cbus and I'm glad you guys like it. I'm also jealous with you guys for having someone to "share" the move!

When are you guys planning to arrive in Columbus? Anyone attending the TA orientation session?

I will also be at the TA orientation...

Let's meet up there! August 19th to 21st right?

Count me in too! I love how you already called it Cbus and I'm glad you guys like it. I'm also jealous with you guys for having someone to "share" the move!

Let's meet up there! August 19th to 21st right?

Ahhh, I want to come play, too, but I won't be at the TA orientation because I'm on fellowship my first year. If y'all go get a beer afterward, let me know.