Thoughts on Indiana SPEA

Hi! 

I was recently admitted with a significant amount of funding to SPEA for a dual MPA/MSES and am curious about the MPA side of the degree. It seems like SPEA doesn't get a lot of praise on this message board so I'm wondering about the quality of the school and what SPEAs main weaknesses are. 

I have also been admitted to two other programs but they are strictly environmental and although I think they are probably more prestigious(Duke and Michigan) they cost between 2-4 times as much as SPEA would for me. 

Any advice or information would be super useful! 

Thanks! 

@met latte That is my program! 

@MPAallday thanks! That is what I was hoping. I am planning on visiting all the schools but I almost feel foolish not jumping at SPEA's offer since it would be extremely unlikely that either of my other schools would be willing to match it.

Hi,

I have actually just been having these same thoughts since I received funding info from SPEA earlier in the week. I don't see too much about SPEA on these boards either, so thanks your starting the conversation!

SPEA will also be the cheapest program for me at this point, which is definitely a factor. I have to say I am impressed by their admissions faculty/process. I was accepted back in November and they have reached out to me via phone and email multiple times asking if I have any questions I want need answered to help make my decision. I know this has nothing to do with the education/program, but not all have been like that :)

I noticed you are doing the dual MPA/MSES program. I only applied for the MPA program, but if I got there, I'm hoping I can pursue the MPA/MAAA (arts administration) track -- they said it was an easy add on. That's a pro for me. I've never been to Bloomington, but hear it is beautiful.

May I ask what kind of funding you received (not amounts .. more the type!) I was offered a Service Corps fellowship. The program sounds like a great resume builder .. I just keep going back and forth like you said!!

Good luck in your decision process!! I didn't really give you any answers, but at least you aren't alone :)

It's great to hear about someone else considering spea! I was getting nervous (kind of) over the lack of spea discussion haha. I was given a %50 tuition waver and free health insurance plus a 7k a yeah assistantship making it super cheap since according to my friends who went to IU for undergrad living there is SUPER cheap.

They have also been great about answering questions and I always felt like I could reach out to them. In addition they seem to have good employment stats even in DC. I'm going to admitted students weekend and am hoping to learn more about internships and employment prospects when I am there!

I got the offer by email but they have always been really helpful over email and the phone so if you haven't heard yet I would reach out to them to see what your funding status is!

@etownenviro -- That's a great funding package -- congrats on that! Knowing that it is pretty cheap to live there is a nice pro as well. I'm hoping to make it out for the accepted students day, too. I'm hoping that will give more clarity to my decision! It's a bit of a drive, but I think it might be worth it.

@ArtsyGirl thanks!! I received an email with the information last Tuesday .. the 11th I think? Good luck! I hope you hear something soon!! I'm excited about the MAAA option there. I applied early and now have been thinking I should have just applied for the dual right off the bat, but they did say it was easy to add on. I would like to get into some nonprofit museum fields so it wouldn't hurt!

So I think (just by reading this thread) that IU has already sent out some acceptances. Has anyone else, besides myself, not heard back from SPEA yet? I'm getting nervous, since Experience Day is right around the corner.

@MPAallday I would email or call them! They have been SUPER helpful and responsive so I'm sure if you haven't heard yet there is no harm in asking. I received my acceptance by mail so there might be a delay with that?

@awex I am also hoping that admitted students day will give me some much needed clarity on this difficult decision! I wasn't expecting it to be so hard. 

@MPAallday I agree with the above posters about calling or emailing. They really have been super helpful during the entire process for me! When did you apply? I think it is on a rolling admissions schedule (maybe?). I submitted my application back in October and received an answer right before Thanksgiving. It was faster than I expected, but, from what I can understand that isn't their "busy time" for apps and that it may take longer for answers if you apply during like Dec, Jan, and etc. when schools receive a lot of applications at once. Good luck!

@MPAallday I would email or call them! They have been SUPER helpful and responsive so I'm sure if you haven't heard yet there is no harm in asking. I received my acceptance by mail so there might be a delay with that?

Possibly! I think I might call or email them.

@MPAallday I agree with the above posters about calling or emailing. They really have been super helpful during the entire process for me! When did you apply? I think it is on a rolling admissions schedule (maybe?). I submitted my application back in October and received an answer right before Thanksgiving. It was faster than I expected, but, from what I can understand that isn't their "busy time" for apps and that it may take longer for answers if you apply during like Dec, Jan, and etc. when schools receive a lot of applications at once. Good luck!

I applied in January but one of my recommenders waited until late February to submit his LOR -- which probably means my application was processed close to the priority deadline.

@MPAallday I'm also waiting for an answer from SPEA. But I've this feeling that we'll receive it shortly :)

Awesome! Yea, like I said before, my application was processed rather late, which probably explains the late response. :)

I visited SPEA a few weeks back and was extremely impressed with their staff, teachers, and overall feel of the place. Very grounded in academia and formidable values vice some of the pretentious attitudes you encounter at other elite schools. I was accepted in January (MPA/MSES) but have yet to hear about funding. I received funding from UW Evans and UT LBJ/McCombs (MGPS/MBA), but to be honest if I receive any from SPEA that is where I will be next fall.

rmarc- Thank you so much for your SPEA review! It is the last school I am visiting but you are making me even more excited about seeing the school and speaking with professors. I hope SPEA finds you some funding for you!

I am!! I am also going to SPEA's day on April 4th so I can get the full comparison. I'm hoping that will make the choice more clear since right now I'm pretty torn. It's nice to know someone is grappling with the same decision!

@sparkles21 what did you think of Duke's admitted students day? are you planning on going to SPEA's next weekend?

I don't know how helpful stats will be since I think they care more about your letters/essays and things like that. 

Here are mine anyways:

Undergrad: Top 10 non ivy university with a decent amount above a 3.5 majoring in a science

GRE: 159 Q/160V/4.5 W 

I also have 1 year of work experience and worked almost all throughout undergrad.

I think my stats are about in line with the average-lower end of what you will find on this message board BUT I don't think this board is an accurate sample size of everyone applying so take all this with a huge grain of salt!!

Best of luck!

• 3 years later...

Hello

I need to decide between this $$$$ and Duke Sanford$$.  At SPEA I can get dual degree at same time in MPA/MSES vs MPP at Sanford? Is there anyone planning to go to SPEA? Could you share how did you make this decision? What other options you had? Could anyone share reputations of schools duke or Indiana?  I am an international student and have no idea of any of these schools :( Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

@gateway11

I am also considering SPEA MPA-MSES. and am an International student. SPEA is ranked at the top of both public affairs list and environmental policy-management list. But not sure how the school is for international students. Still I am impressed by the coursework and SPEA's reputation. So, looking forward to it. 

Can someone please comment how SPEA is for International students. Particularly in terms of employment opportunities after graduation, because governments won't generally prefer non-US students, so I will be trying for private sector positions.