UMD, GW, Georgetown

Hi everyone!

First post here.......I just completed my applications to GW, Georgetown, and UMD (College Park).

I applied for their MS program which I will be pursuing part-time. I haven't heard from any of them yet but I'm trying to figure out which one might be the best match for me.

I'm a GTOWN graduate (undergrad) so I'm familiar with the school, and the program seems more professionally oriented which I like. GW is nationally ranked and I have read that UMD's program is really good. I've also read that GW and UMD's program are pure mathematics and little application. 

Just wondering what anyone knows about these and how they stack in relation to each other.

Edited by vashts85

I'm familiar with the Georgetown program, less so for the other two. I agree that Georgetown's MS in math/stat is more "applied". You can tell this is true because they don't even require real analysis. It is not supposed to be preparation for a PhD in math/stat, but rather, a way for working professionals to gain some quantitative skills that they can take back and use in their jobs at financial regulatory agencies, advertising companies, consulting firms, etc. I do think however that it is a decent preparation for someone wanting to pursue a PhD in a quantitative, but not proof-based theoretical field (for example, econometrics, biostats, maybe operations research...), especially if their undergraduate major was in something like econ or political science (ie, not math/stat/ comp sci). If your main goal is to get a good job in the DC area, especially in the financial or government/ regulatory space, Georgetown's program can be a great way to go since they have a lot of connections to local employers. On the other hand, if you think there's a chance you would eventually want to pursue a PhD in applied math or stats, I would probably suggest Maryland instead, since it's likely to be cheaper and much more rigorous. I have also heard GW's masters program is very theoretical, but it is also quite expensive and I don't think it provides much of an advantage over Maryland in terms of placement, though I'm not very sure about this last point.

I'm familiar with the Georgetown program, less so for the other two. I agree that Georgetown's MS in math/stat is more "applied". You can tell this is true because they don't even require real analysis. It is not supposed to be preparation for a PhD in math/stat, but rather, a way for working professionals to gain some quantitative skills that they can take back and use in their jobs at financial regulatory agencies, advertising companies, consulting firms, etc. I do think however that it is a decent preparation for someone wanting to pursue a PhD in a quantitative, but not proof-based theoretical field (for example, econometrics, biostats, maybe operations research...), especially if their undergraduate major was in something like econ or political science (ie, not math/stat/ comp sci). If your main goal is to get a good job in the DC area, especially in the financial or government/ regulatory space, Georgetown's program can be a great way to go since they have a lot of connections to local employers. On the other hand, if you think there's a chance you would eventually want to pursue a PhD in applied math or stats, I would probably suggest Maryland instead, since it's likely to be cheaper and much more rigorous. I have also heard GW's masters program is very theoretical, but it is also quite expensive and I don't think it provides much of an advantage over Maryland in terms of placement, though I'm not very sure about this last point.

Thanks for your feedback. Just out of curiosity, where did you get all your info? Just wondering if it's someplace where I can research as well.

All the programs are pretty comparable in terms of cost, unless MD's but you have to be a MD resident. The UMD program I believe is a daytime program which would conflict with my ability to work full-time while pursuing (going part-time is not really an option). I'm not really sure I'll get into that one given how competitive I've heard it is: their admissions office told me the applicants typically score in the 95thile of the GRE and the 90thile of the Math subject test.

There is a chance I would pursue a PhD but I think it's remote given that I would have to leave the workforce (right? don't see any way around this). I think that if I did it would be in Statistics, probably something with a focus on automation, machine learning, or high-dimensional Baysean inference (I think....) Any thoughts on how well or poorly prepared it'd be for that? My undergrad major was Economics so I'm not going "fresh" into any of this stuff, though I only studied basic calculus in college (taking linear algebra and Multivariable calculus now).

I think what I would like to do is remain at my job/find a new one while pursuing the degree and then use the degree to move into a bigger position. I'm particular, I'm interested in perhaps doing stuff related to big data, financial analyses, and intelligence. I think it'd be neat to work for the CIA or FBI or NSA in trying to fight terrorism or human trafficking with data analysis.

GW also seems to be the only ranked in STATS (35th or something), so I wonder how that fits in. I have a call set up with one of their professors next week so maybe that'll shed some light. What is interesting is that their program doesn't have requirements other than 2 courses, so you pick your own curriculum. I found that a little odd -- just seems like they don't care about the MS students much?

One last thing I wanted to ask is that I've heard that both UMD and GW have MS programs basically as consolation prizes for the PhD students who cannot make it through. Any truth to that rumor?

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I realise that this is 3 years after your original post but I'm new here and was wondering as to how your situation turned out eventually. Where did you end up going?

I'm asking because I'm also interested in applying to a MS in biostats at GWU and Georgetown and wanted to know which school is better in terms of better job opportunities afterwards. I'm pretty much in the same situation described by you. I finished a bachelor's and master's already, both in Economics and Geopolitics, except I did both at a university abroad, in Romania, Central Europe (I'm not American). I only moved to the US in 2014 and have been in a full time job in finance ever since while also taking Calc I, II, III, linear algebra and statistics classes at my local community college, as pre-requisites. I want to do this Biostatistics masters in the hope that it'll help broaden my job opportunities.

Any thoughts, advice?

Thank you,