popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

On February 7, 2017 at 9:46 PM, BlueNahlchee said:

Energy drinks (i.e. monster drink, etc). I never understood why so many of my college friends drank them copiously (I personally have never tried any Monster drinks, and I don't really plan to).

Seconded. 

Also, re: beverages, I don't get the appeal of the iced (sweetened?) teas at Starbucks. Are they like Italian sodas or something? If I have to go to Starbucks I'm only shelling out for coffee. 

4 hours ago, nooncity said:

Seconded. 

Also, re: beverages, I don't get the appeal of the iced (sweetened?) teas at Starbucks. Are they like Italian sodas or something? If I have to go to Starbucks I'm only shelling out for coffee. 

Whenever I go to Starbucks, it seems like 90% of what they're selling are hot milkshakes with caffeine. Now look, if you want a raspberry mochaccino with whipped cream, go for it! Drink them to your heart's content. But don't pretend like you're drinking a coffee. You're drinking a hot milkshake with caffeine. 

Same thing with muffins. THEY'RE CUPCAKES WITH NO FROSTING, PEOPLE!!! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! 

A muffin and frappuccino for breakfast = a cupcake and milkshake for breakfast

I'm not judging; I'm just saying, call it what it is.

6359823432901222641042011106_30sfXe3.gif

4 hours ago, rheya19 said:

Whenever I go to Starbucks, it seems like 90% of what they're selling are hot milkshakes with caffeine. Now look, if you want a raspberry mochaccino with whipped cream, go for it! Drink them to your heart's content. But don't pretend like you're drinking a coffee. You're drinking a hot milkshake with caffeine. 

Same thing with muffins. THEY'RE CUPCAKES WITH NO FROSTING, PEOPLE!!! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! 

A muffin and frappuccino for breakfast = a cupcake and milkshake for breakfast

I'm not judging; I'm just saying, call it what it is.

6359823432901222641042011106_30sfXe3.gif

Can we also talk about how pretentious the fancy words you have to use to order coffee at said establishment.  I want a medium coffee.  Is that grande, tall, or vente? I don't give a crap. I want a medium.  You figure it out.

Rampant tribalism.  I remember a day when you could disagree with someone's politics/religion/morality and still like and associate with them as a person.

Bacon.

Valentines day- It's so shallow and consumeristic... and yet I still bought my students candy because we will be in class Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, Cheshire_Cat said:

Rampant tribalism.  I remember a day when you could disagree with someone's politics/religion/morality and still like and associate with them as a person.

Bacon.

Valentines day- It's so shallow and consumeristic... and yet I still bought my students candy because we will be in class Tuesday night.

Yum bacon :D Though I almost never eat it nowadays since I'm trying to watch my health haha. 

I might get some backlash for saying this, but I'm not a fan of Jimmy Johns... I don't care how super fast their delivery, etc. might be, I just don't like their sandwiches. None of their sandwiches I've tried don't taste good at all (to me, at least). 

EDIT: And speaking of Jimmy Johns, there happens to be a Jimmy Johns ad on the forum homepage. I guess they won't give up until I change my mind about their sandwiches lol.

Edited by BlueNahlchee

On 2/13/2017 at 9:18 PM, BlueNahlchee said:

Yum bacon :D Though I almost never eat it nowadays since I'm trying to watch my health haha. 

I might get some backlash for saying this, but I'm not a fan of Jimmy Johns... I don't care how super fast their delivery, etc. might be, I just don't like their sandwiches. None of their sandwiches I've tried don't taste good at all (to me, at least). 

EDIT: And speaking of Jimmy Johns, there happens to be a Jimmy Johns ad on the forum homepage. I guess they won't give up until I change my mind about their sandwiches lol.

Jimmy John's sandwiches are truly....meh. Not horrible, but not good. Definitely not worth the price. And their owner is a jerk. 

Brand names with vowels removed. Apparently people think this is cool? I could deal with it when it was just Flickr and Tumblr. Now I can't stop seeing ads for DSTLD jeans and MVMT watches and BHLDN which I would absolutely never have guessed is supposed to be "beholden" if I wasn't told so. (Also, who wants to be beholden?) Do we think we're writing in Arabic? Make it stop.

No offense to anyone here, but common names with  unnecessarily weird spellings. All parents are doing is making life harder for the kid and their teachers trying to learn the kid's name. Like Lyndsi, Jordyn, Zakery, Tailer, etc. I knew a little girl who told me her name was "Kennedy," and then her mom told me it was spelled "Kynnadi." What? 

If you want your kid to have a non-traditional name, then give them one. Don't take a common name and then use it to abuse the letter "y."

I'm going to sound like a grinch, but commercialized American Christmas. I hate the crowds. I hate Santa stuff. It now lasts from November- December 31st and I count down the days until I don't have to be around people again. 

Beer. And honestly, I've tried, I really have. I've tried cheep beer, expensive beer, foreign beer, local beer, microbreweries beer, beer with weird flavors that have no right being in beer... And every beer-lover I talk to says "oh well all those are terrible--try this one!" Guess what, my man, it tastes like shit too. I am just not hopping on the hops-train.

45 minutes ago, Charlsa said:

Beer. And honestly, I've tried, I really have. I've tried cheep beer, expensive beer, foreign beer, local beer, microbreweries beer, beer with weird flavors that have no right being in beer... And every beer-lover I talk to says "oh well all those are terrible--try this one!" Guess what, my man, it tastes like shit too. I am just not hopping on the hops-train.

It is probably the hops that you don't like, try something herbal and minimally hopped - like Empire's White Aphro (lavender and lemon peel dominate the flavor)

For me the thing I hate is flavored coffees, I want my coffee to be coffee flavored, no hazelnut/vanilla/chocolate/pumpkin spice/cinnamon etc. Just coffee, no cream, no sugar.

On 2/13/2017 at 8:10 PM, Cheshire_Cat said:

Can we also talk about how pretentious the fancy words you have to use to order coffee at said establishment.  I want a medium coffee.  Is that grande, tall, or vente? I don't give a crap. I want a medium.  You figure it out.

I hate when Starbucks employees get pretentious when you say "medium." They get that attitude and say, "Grande, Tall, or Vente?" and pull the friggin cup sizes out to show you.

I want to drag them across the counter and say, "A MEDIUM. YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT MEANS. IT'S THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE." Don't play games, little girl! I haven't had my caffeine yet.

On 2017-02-05 at 9:14 AM, gradcoffee said:

Consumption of animal products. :(

This. And...

- Any popular clothing store that smells like sweatshop when you come in (e.g., Forever 21, H&M) and just fast fashion in general.

- Tove Lo. She is everywhere. I don't know how she exploded but I find everything about her really repulsive. :unsure:

Caffeine. It actually hurts my focus by causing sweats, fidgeting, and heart palpitations, no idea how so many people use it to help them work.

Anniversaries. So much pressure, so much room for error. 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:01 PM, rheya19 said:

I hate when Starbucks employees get pretentious when you say "medium." They get that attitude and say, "Grande, Tall, or Vente?" and pull the friggin cup sizes out to show you.

I want to drag them across the counter and say, "A MEDIUM. YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT MEANS. IT'S THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE." Don't play games, little girl! I haven't had my caffeine yet.

Knowing how the service industry is, I bet any barista that does this has been conditioned by multiple customers complaining that "this is not a medium!" 

46 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

Caffeine. It actually hurts my focus by causing sweats, fidgeting, and heart palpitations, no idea how so many people use it to help them work.

Anniversaries. So much pressure, so much room for error. 

I had the same issue with caffeine when I was still in grad school. I would have anywhere between 200 and 800 mg/day, and when combined with stress, it did no good whatsoever. I finally had to give up coffee and stick to green tea with a short brewing time.

Harry Potter fan theories. Ok, maybe hate is a strong word, but the books will have been out 10 years in July.  Why are these still coming across my news feed?  I like HP as much as the next person, but seriously...

• 2 weeks later...

Summer. I can't stand hot weather. As I keep explaining to people: in the winter, I can just keep adding layers of clothing and be cozy. In the summer, there's only so much clothing I can take off before it's illegal.

38 minutes ago, AnniKatt said:

Summer. I can't stand hot weather. As I keep explaining to people: in the winter, I can just keep adding layers of clothing and be cozy. In the summer, there's only so much clothing I can take off before it's illegal.

I've been saying this for years. Glad it's not just me. Even more glad I'm leaving Texas.