GSAPP OR TAUBMAN FOR URBAN DESIGN ?

HELLO GUYS! 

Need suggestions and advice all of you enthusiasts out there!

WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THAT I HAVE TWO OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM

1- GSAPP FOR MSAUD PROGRAM 

2- tAUBMAN , Michigan for Urban design! 

Even though Columbia has been top of my list of schools for urban design since day one, i am slightly inclining towards the program at 

Taubman as well, knowing the great repute of the school. 

Obviously, as a place to be , i am more keen to go to New York city!! Was never a crazy IV LEAGUE Fan or anything!! 

ALSO Michigan has offered a scholarship of 10000$ and clearly Columbia would not! Just hoping that its not over-rated just because its an IV LEAGUE?

Please help me do a fair analysis of the two, so that i can choose the best! 

Hey,

You are still somewhat luckier than I am I guess. I only got one acceptance--Columbia GSAPP urban planning program.

I know the tuition is huge, but on the bright side, isn't NYC a great city for urban planning students to live and learn??? I mean comparing to cities like Isacca or Boston, perhaps NYC is really good!

Contact me if you wanted to buddy up..

mrsonysun@gmail.com

I did my undergrad (B.S. Arch) at Taubman and was just accepted to their M.Arch II program. If I had done my undergrad anywhere else, there is no question I would here for grad school. They are a fantastic school, I just feel that I have learned so much here that I would like to get some more perspective from another school. Their facilities are almost unrivaled (especially by Columbia), and they have a great Urban Planning department as well. Forget the Ivy League crap. We are not business majors, and an Ivy education does not mean nearly as much as it would if we were. What matters is design faculty and fabrication/research facilities. While I'm sure both schools have great faculty, Columbia does not even come close to Taubman's fabrication/research capabilities. 

I would choose Taubman. Especially if they're giving you money. While you're right, it is nothing like NYC, but Ann Arbor is a great place to live as well. 

HELLO GUYS! 

Need suggestions and advice all of you enthusiasts out there!

WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THAT I HAVE TWO OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM

1- GSAPP FOR MSAUD PROGRAM 

2- tAUBMAN , Michigan for Urban design! 

Even though Columbia has been top of my list of schools for urban design since day one, i am slightly inclining towards the program at 

Taubman as well, knowing the great repute of the school. 

Obviously, as a place to be , i am more keen to go to New York city!! Was never a crazy IV LEAGUE Fan or anything!! 

ALSO Michigan has offered a scholarship of 10000$ and clearly Columbia would not! Just hoping that its not over-rated just because its an IV LEAGUE?

Please help me do a fair analysis of the two, so that i can choose the best! 

Hi Arshia, 

Same here. I have been accepted to Columbia's MSAUD as well as the MUD at Taubman, Michigan (with a slight scholarship). It's certainly a difficult decision. Columbia is appealing despite its high cost. NYC certainly plays a big part in the decision making, especially considering employment opportunities and the like. I'd really like to get a sense of the employment opportunities for alumni from both schools. 

Another factor is the class size. I think the MUD at Michigan has 7-8 students. I'm not sure about the MSAUD but it may have 50 or so. 

Have you made a decision yet? Good luck.

Edited by PaperElephants

Hey! Well after an indepth analysis, I have taken a decision of choosing Columbia for various reasons.

Firstly, NYC being the major reason, followed by the possibilities and opportunities it brings along with itself.

Secondly, the program at Columbia and their curriculum how they zoom into different scales etc, appealed me more. I want to be in a more of an urban set up and palate to study urban design, thank focus at a more urban renewal sort of situation keeping deteriot in mind.

Thirdly, would definitely like to go for a class of around 50.

Let me know if you want help as well. Share your decision as well.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

For those of you at GSAPP, wondering how it went based on your expectations? I'm considering MIT DUSP, GSAPP MSAUD, and Harvard HKS/GSD, and would like to get your opinion on the strengths of each in terms of applied learning (as opposed to theoretical/historical studies) and types of jobs students take after graduating. I'm particularly interested in work internationally. 

Thanks!