VCU vs UTK (or) How to go about choosing schools

lolapola

Hi! I'm looking for some advice. 

I just received word that I've been accepted to the VCU Sculpture + Extended Media program with full funding for the first year, plus stipend (-5,000 dollars in fees + additional living costs). I am so thrilled to be accepted into such an amazing program, but I am struggling with my decision in light of another offer I have in a completely different program. The University of Tennessee Knoxville Printmaking program has also enthusiastically offered me a full ride for all three years, plus a more generous stipend, and the possibility of a fellowship (for the first year). 

Different though they are, these are both amazing programs in their own regard, and I'm certain they would afford me great opportunities. What I'm really struggling with is how much the financial aspect of graduate education should play a role in my decision. VCU is offering less, and there isn't a guarantee that the second year will fully funded (depends on their 2015 budget). With Tennessee I won't have to worry about money at all, but I find myself more excited at the prospect of going to VCU. My work is based in printmaking, but recently has moved into the sculptural realm, and I feel that although Tennessee would be a great place to hone my skills (I love the idea of mastering a craft), VCU might offer an environment where my work can continue to grow in new and exciting ways that I've never even considered. 

On top of this, I'm an international student without the ability to visit either of the campuses...How does one decide?? I, of course, know how lucky I am to have this problem, but I'm genuinely stuck, and any help or further information on either of these programs will be so gratefully appreciated :)

www.pallavi-sen.com

I think it just depends on what you truly want to focus on, sculpture or printmaking. The full tuition waiver and stipend for 3 years at UT is about as good as it gets. VCU is good aswell though. Its a good problem to have. Good luck!

Hello lolapola,

I also received the offer into VCU MFA Sculpture + Extended Media program and a similar funding from them. Even though there is no guarantee for funding for the second year,the interim director told me that it was more than likely we will receive a similar funding package. They are legally protecting themselves since the funding for their program may not be consistent as programs like UTK's MFA .  

There are a some competitive MFA fellowships/awards that you can be nominated for or apply to. I have a running list of fellowships and awards for graduates and post-graduates/emerging artist who work in Sculptures/Installation/New Media. 

I am visiting VCU this week or next and I don't mind taking pictures of the facilities and sending them to you. Even though it won't be the same as visiting yourself, at least you have some ideas of the equipments and facilities at VCU.  I assume you will want to see the printmaking studios, fiber studio, and sculpture equipment. Just inbox me if you would want like to have photos of such. 

Also, VCU is located in Richmond. Even though Richmond doesn't have a big art scene,VCU connects the students to NY via visiting artists/critics. Also, Richmond is an hour and half via car from Washington DC.  I think they have something NY but I am not sure of the details yet. Making connection is crucial in any career. VCU offers more of a chance to connect to well-established individuals than Tennessee. (I lived in TN most of my life and I can assure you there is not much there in regards to the art world)  . UTK has a beautiful campus though. 

I also received a full tuition waiver from another school with a huge stipend. However, I will not pass up VCU offer. They are the best in our area and our body of work will develop much more quickly.  As you say, VCU will allow your work to develop in ways you may not imagine. They have a great fiber Department. But yeah...VCU is where it is at. Haha.

Edited by raku

The VCU sculpture facilities are just sick.  The most amazing I've ever seen. 

You've been accepted into two of the very best programs in two very different media.  Congratulations.  I tend to agree that VCU will probably continue the funding.  Why don't you call them and ask?  Tell the graduate coordinator you have this great offer from UTK.  It sounds as though you really want to work in sculpture, but you could probably continue to do sculpture as well at UTK.  If your goal is eventually an academic job, think about which area you might want to teach.  If it's just about exploring your art, go the place that stimulates you the most.  Really, I think you can't go wrong with this choice.

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for helping me with my decision! Really! I know this message is terribly late (I was hiking in the Himalayas, trying to decide on colleges with too little oxygen around) but better late than never! After reading your replies and looking at the work of past students and teachers once more (well, many, many times over) I decided to attend VCU! My communication with the faculty has been very promising so far, and through the university's administration is not as efficient as I would like, the department itself seems to be very proactive and extremely willing to answer all sorts of questions. 

Money remains an issue, but from what I have heard it's possible to get more funding once I am in school. There are also funds available for travel if I am showing work in other states/countries, and that is just fantastic since distance has prevented me from doing things before. So as long as I can manage something for the $4K in fees, I should be fine. 

I have benefited so much from this forum, from all of you who have answered my questions, and from all the thoughts that have been shared on the different threads...I would love to return the favour :) I'm going to be in Richmond in about two weeks, and if anyone has any questions about what VCU feels like, what the studios are like, anything really, please let me know! Perhaps after a few months have passed, I can post something about my experience there.

Good luck to everyone who is starting school this fall, and also to those who are considering applying! 

• 4 weeks later...

You were all correct. VCU is fabulous. We had a presentation of everyone's work yesterday and I have never before been in the company of people who are ALL so good at what they do, so driven, and so passionate. So much work that is refreshing, strong, and exciting. I feel so lucky :)