UCLA, Luskin School - 2014

I didn’t see any recent discussion pertaining to UCLA’s Luskin School of Public Policy and thought I’d get something started.

There are three points I’m hoping to get feedback on:

1. I’m curious to know how others feel about the program. How is the program perceived nationally? Any input from current and/or former students would be great…

2. For those who have been accepted, did you receive funding offers? If so, was it included in your acceptance letter, or in a follow-up correspondence? (I was accepted last month, but have heard nothing about funding. My acceptance letter didn’t address it at all.)

3. I’ve also been accepted to IU, SPEA (25% funding) and UM, Ford (50% funding). I realize both SPEA and Ford are ranked higher in the US News rankings, but I really had my heart set on UCLA… I love L.A., the campus, and was drawn to the program’s emphasis on social policy and the opportunity to work on aging- disability-related issues. However, I’d be paying out-of-state tuition (at least for the first year) at UCLA, and have verified that I would qualify for in-state tuition at Michigan (because my parents still live there). If I don’t receive a pretty solid offer from UCLA, I would be foolish to keep them in consideration, right?

I've had a very difficult time finding info on UCLA, and I live in California. I'd say that Goldman and USC do much better jobs at selling their programs.

I went to Berkeley as an undergrad and came in as an out of stater. My parents moved to California shortly thereafter but it took me almost a year an a half to get residency. UCs make it VERY VERY difficult, so there is that to consider...

I've had a very difficult time finding info on UCLA, and I live in California. I'd say that Goldman and USC do much better jobs at selling their programs.

I went to Berkeley as an undergrad and came in as an out of stater. My parents moved to California shortly thereafter but it took me almost a year an a half to get residency. UCs make it VERY VERY difficult, so there is that to consider...

Didn't realize establishing residency was so difficult in California... appreciate the heads up.

I see you were accepted to Luskin, but like me, haven't received a funding offer. Was there any mention of it in your decision letter? Based on my other letters and what friends have told me, I was under the impression schools generally address funding (either include an offer, let the applicant know decisions are TBD, or let the applicant know they won't be offering anything) in admission letters. My Luskin letter didn't address it at all.  

I actually emailed them directly the day I got a notice from them and was told that all funding had been doled out. To be honest, I feel a bit burned by UCLA. I'm a big fan of the UC system in general and I love the school. However, I just got a sense of general disinterest from their admissions department, and even found their admissions letter to be a bit brusque.

For me, USC and UCLA are very very similar programs, and given that USC offered full funding and went out of their way to make me feel wanted, I won't be considering UCLA.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from UCLA?  I've visited the program a few times and really liked it, and am kind of bummed that there's been no word from them....

• 3 weeks later...

I was accepted into this program as well. I was initially offered NO fellowship, but as soon as I told the UCLA people about my full-ride offer at Madison, they "suddenly" said they can offer me an $18k fellowship from the department. They are also looking into getting me more funding and maybe even a guaranteed TA or research assistantship for the second year, but none of that is guaranteed. 

I am leaning toward Madison because of the full ride, but I feel like UCLA could offer me better networking opportunities because I plan to eventually work with ed policy in California. I'm really torn.