Duke vs McGill vs UBC for PhD chemistry- so confused.

proboy92

I have been admitted to several programs for PhD in chemistry but i narrowed down my choices to Duke, McGill and UBC. I got funding from all of those schools and each has professors who match my interest about organic chemistry/ catalysis . 

I would like to work in industry after graduation. Many people suggested me to go for Duke because of its brand name.  What would you guys choose if you were me? I am so confused...

I think a little more information is needed. Did you get a chance to visit any of these schools, specifically, meet any of the professors you are interested in? Regardless, I think it'd be best to send the professors an e-mail stating who you are, that you've been accepted into the program, that you're interested in specific aspects of their research, and if they are planning on taking students in the fall, as well as maybe a one-page CV of your best research and academic accomplishments. This will help you narrow down your list, especially if the professors you are interested in are not taking any students. It'll also stir some interest with a professor if they find your CV impressive, and will help them and you get into a research group of your choice. Professors want the best talent in their group, and also the most motivated students, and by being proactive, you may show this to them before you ever meet them face-to-face.

If the professors have websites, e-mail the students as well to ask questions about what it's like to work for them and within the department...try to keep it to factual questions (i.e. how many hours do you work, how often do you meet with Professor X, are you required to attend seminars, etc.) because students may feel uncomfortable revealing their opinions in writing (especially if they have negative opinions). You can also use these websites to check where graduates end up in the workplace. Is there a particular lab that produces many students that go into industry, or do they mostly end up in academia/working for the government/doing a non-chemistry related job? This will probably be of interest to you.

I won't be able to give you a school choice, because I have not attended any of these schools myself, nor am I in the organic division, so I do not know the prestige factor/strength of the program/innovative research being done in the field. In the end, my suggestion would be superficial at best, and based on your interests (organic chemistry/catalysis), knowing which professors are taking students is probably priority #1 for you to determine. Hope this helps!

wherever you'd succeed and kill it. I worked in industry for a guy who went to UOntario. He killed it and is head of catalysis now at a ripe young age. Just go where you'll do well and you will get a job (as long as we have a good job market)

I agree with asaprocky. I don't know about the whole brand name thing with Duke because both UBC and McGill are respected internationally, too. I think the three programs are comparable in terms of rankings/reputation so just go with your gut on this one :)