FLAS question

yuanzhu

Is FLAS considered a prestigious fellowship? As in, is it the kind of thing that would look good when applying to PhD programs?

It seems like I'm one of a few 1st year masters students to be offered one at this specific institution, which is awesome, but will it help me much outside of the financial realm?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by yuanzhu

A FLAS award is definitely awesome. A free year of MA-level study is something hard to come by in this day and age. As far as prestige... If you are working in the language/area studies field, or perhaps politics, then it is fairly prestigious (in my opinion). FLAS has been around for decades. Can't hurt to have it on your CV. It looks impressive in my opinion.

Edited by molodoychelovek

I am applying for a summer language study and was told it was prestigious also to have it on your CV. I'm not doing a foreign language studies degree but need to study a language well in order to conduct research. 

Is FLAS considered a prestigious fellowship? As in, is it the kind of thing that would look good when applying to PhD programs?

It seems like I'm one of a few 1st year masters students to be offered one at this specific institution, which is awesome, but will it help me much outside of the financial realm?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I have received an academic year FLAS for both years of my MTS at HDS, and though I have heard it referred to as "prestigious" by university administrators, I don't feel it is a particularly competitive grant. Financially, it is really awesome.  Why is your focus on prestige? Have you received something else, and are debating which to accept?  You can PM me if you have any other questions.