Reapplying for next year

esimanon

So I wasn't accepted into either school I applied for (UCB and UCLA). I will have to reapply. Anyone else going to reapply? What do you think you will change? What do you think you will do differently?

Hey esimanon! My boyfriend encourage me to call UCLA and ask what they would have better liked to see on my application to make it strong enough to be accepted in next years...

I still havent called.. but kind of want to.

Next year, look to apply wider and to more schools. The competitiveness for these programs in a state that can barely afford any kind of aid to public education is bound to be rough. 

Good luck next year and take care

What things do you think you will change?

I'm thinking of doing some volunteer work (Crisis intervention for sexual assault victims) and just adding a year of experience to my resume (currently working for a nonprofit that provides services for foster youth - working on finding family members of children whom were removed to foster life-long family connection for these children)

My GRE's weren't so great so I will be retaking them.

And I will be rewriting my essays - I suspect that's where I messed up - possibly got too personal.

I was messaging with someone else and I told her this, thought I'd share here as well...

So last year I applied to UCLA and it was the ONLY place I applied, unfortunately, I was rejected. I was really upset, I don't think I ever cried so hard lol but I set out to do what I needed to, to get in to grad school. For me, I felt my grades from undergrad weren't that great, I messed around in community college and by the time I got my act together at CSU Fresno, the damage was already done. My experience in the field was also pretty minimal, just my one year interning with CPS, mentoring an at-risk kid, and doing an internship overseas as a camp counselor for underprivileged kids. So after graduating with my BA in Social Work in May of 2013, I went back to school as a post-baccalaureate and took 12 units, raised my GPA drastically from a 2.9 to a 3.7, re-took the GRE and earned a better score, really put time (4 months) into my statements, and started working in a group home. Unfortunately, UCLA rejected me again this year, but I applied to 3 other schools this time around, 1 of which has already accepted me with Title IV-E (SFSU) and I have an interview with Berkeley next week for Title IV-E. So don't beat yourself up over UCLA or any other school, I've learned UCLA is one of those programs that really looks at more established individuals, with at least 3-5 years of experience, and doesn't feel the need to give a chance to many people fresh out from their BA who also have major potential. Don't let this hold you back, things happen for a reason, I was told that a lot last year after I got rejected, and I thought it was full of shit lol but seriously, they do happen for a reason. I got a full ride to SFSU and hopefully Berkeley will offer the same, and none of it could have been possible if I didn't go through what I did.

When you re-write your statements, stay away from the sob stories, those panels have heard it all. I would definitely recommend writing about why you want to be a social worker, tying it to your experience, and what you've learned from it. Also what I feel helped me is that I wrote about what I'd like to do my Masters thesis on. That shows you are ready for graduate school and have actually put in some thought as to what you'd like to focus on, which sets you above the other potential applicants. Moreover, make sure you write your statements in a way that you aren't just going to that particular school to learn about social work; you should already know what your place in this field is, the program will merely be an asset to enhance and fine tune your skills, that's all. What I was told was not to sound like a social work text book. They already know what social work is about, they want to see how you interpret it, what you hope to gain from it, and how you plan to implement it.

Edited by swrker14

I was messaging with someone else and I told her this, thought I'd share here as well...

So last year I applied to UCLA and it was the ONLY place I applied, unfortunately, I was rejected. I was really upset, I don't think I ever cried so hard lol but I set out to do what I needed to, to get in to grad school. For me, I felt my grades from undergrad weren't that great, I messed around in community college and by the time I got my act together at CSU Fresno, the damage was already done. My experience in the field was also pretty minimal, just my one year interning with CPS, mentoring an at-risk kid, and doing an internship overseas as a camp counselor for underprivileged kids. So after graduating with my BA in Social Work in May of 2013, I went back to school as a post-baccalaureate and took 12 units, raised my GPA drastically from a 2.9 to a 3.7, re-took the GRE and earned a better score, really put time (4 months) into my statements, and started working in a group home. Unfortunately, UCLA rejected me again this year, but I applied to 3 other schools this time around, 1 of which has already accepted me with Title IV-E (SFSU) and I have an interview with Berkeley next week for Title IV-E. So don't beat yourself up over UCLA or any other school, I've learned UCLA is one of those programs that really looks at more established individuals, with at least 3-5 years of experience, and doesn't feel the need to give a chance to many people fresh out from their BA who also have major potential. Don't let this hold you back, things happen for a reason, I was told that a lot last year after I got rejected, and I thought it was full of shit lol but seriously, they do happen for a reason. I got a full ride to SFSU and hopefully Berkeley will offer the same, and none of it could have been possible if I didn't go through what I did.

When you re-write your statements, stay away from the sob stories, those panels have heard it all. I would definitely recommend writing about why you want to be a social worker, tying it to your experience, and what you've learned from it. Also what I feel helped me is that I wrote about what I'd like to do my Masters thesis on. That shows you are ready for graduate school and have actually put in some thought as to what you'd like to focus on, which sets you above the other potential applicants. Moreover, make sure you write your statements in a way that you aren't just going to that particular school to learn about social work; you should already know what your place in this field is, the program will merely be an asset to enhance and fine tune your skills, that's all. What I was told was not to sound like a social work text book. They already know what social work is about, they want to see how you interpret it, what you hope to gain from it, and how you plan to implement it.

What a thoughtful response. I am defintely moved by your post and I know it will help all of the readers. Thank you

Such a great response - I completely agree with everything you wrote and will take the next steps to make myself a better applicant - and CONGRATS to your successes! :)

My graduate thesis advisor (who ironically has an MSW himself, though he taught/worked in criminal justice) told me at the beginning of admission season that many MSW programs are quicker to admit the older student with a few years of work and life experience under their belt. I would venture to guess that my work experience really boosted my application, and I'm sure it will yours. So, definitely work, work, work. Prove that you can work under pressure, multitask, etc. Those were all things brought up in my interview. I think retaking the GRE would be beneficial, as well. Tone down the SOP and make sure you're asking the right people for LORs.

And above all else, don't be discouraged. I've found that a lot of my "rejections," literally and figuratively, have been blessings in disguise.

I was rejected by UCLA, but was accepted to SDSU.  I didn't immediately apply for an MSW, and worked an extra 4+ years to make sure I was confident to apply. Part of my confidence came from the fact that I did laboratory research as a psychology undergrad with two people, one being a well cited expert in autism behavioral therapy. 

I too retook the GRE, and actually improved my writing score from a 4 to a 4.5 

With the SOP, I really feel that you have to present yourself and what qualities you can sell to show you can work hard under pressure. I had experience with autistic and lower SES youth in the school systems, and put it in on there. 

Don't be shy to go back in your past with your volunteer history as well. I specifically showed that I had an interest in a social-work related profession by saying I had done extensive volunteering with the elderly while in high school. 

Really also don't be afraid to connect with your LOR, and ask them if they can provide a reference that has all the information that makes you qualified for the job.  If you did more than take a class with a professor, and actually had some one on one contact, talk to them and let them know if they can write for you, and if there's any additional information they may need. 

I think its really important to also look at the two programs, and branch out to other programs as well. I heard great things about UCLA and Cal, but I've also heard some negative and legitimate issues that made me glad that I didn't get in. 

One more thing: Please feel free to try and contact current MSW students and ask them about their experience. Don't ask them how to help you, but ask them more about the university's program, so you can get a feel out of how to tailor your SOP.

Please don't waste precious time and energy on the GRE-- I have heard straight from UCLA and Berkeley admissions that they essentially just look at whether you took them. Unless you're a PhD applicant, they are a formality and would not have been the reason your application was denied.

esimanon,

I'm sorry to hear that you got rejected from both schools you applied to---that must be a very tough pill to swallow.  If I may add (or contribute) to this post with some of my own thoughts, here goes nothing...

First, if you haven't already it might be a good idea to contact the admissions offices in a couple months (once the chaos of admissions processes are over) to find out what you could do to help bolster your application since you're planning on reapplying in the Fall.

Second, it's important to note that your new application (particularly your SOP) needs to be different from the original (assuming you're applying to the same programs), and to show what you've done in the past year or so to help improve your application (e.g., any volunteering opportunities you've had, retaking the GRE, etc.)

Third, make sure that when you talk about your past & current experience (especially if it's not directly related to social work), that you tie in that experience the best way you can.  For example, I served in the military working as a steam-propulsion engineer and I continued that for a couple years when I got out of the miltary.  Though that experience had nothing to do with social work, it showed me how much I prefer working with and understanding people vs. machines. 

With that said, it's important to find some kind of theme or "common thread" that you can weave into your SOP.  This might be a passion/goal (e.g., working with children, older adults, etc.), but what's key is that you have a theme that all the experience, examples, etc. point to.  This will help connect certain key points throughout your SOP and will help you steer clear of simply answering the question prompts and moving onto the next question.  The SOP is by far the most important aspect to an MSW application, and as several people have mentioned, requires a fair amount of time and devotion to writing.  I myself took almost an entire year to write my SOP.

Lastly, please don't get discouraged.  If there's anyone who's had doors slammed shut in their face and feeling like there's nowhere to turn, it'd be me.  A wise person once said that for every shut door, there's an open window.  Remember to stay positive and focus on those things that can help you improve as a person overall in order to turn you into a stronger candidate.

You're doing the right thing in being open to feedback, criticism, and ways that you can improve yourself.  :)

@nightwolf1129- Wow. Thank you.

Once again, I am blown away by the thoughtful support I have received from being a member of this forum - thank you, thank you, thank you!

Although my ego is bruised, I know that I am a good candidate for graduate school and I will be taking the next year to do the very things you suggest - especially revising my SOP. Having gone through the application process, my goals are a lot clearer and I know just what I want to achieve with a MSW and in going to grad school - I think the admissions committee could sense that I was still working to make a clear goal in mind. 

I currently work for HSA in SF - where I work to find long-term family connections for children who have entered the child welfare system. My work is great, but I don't have much direct care experience so I've decided to apply to intern at SFWAR (SF Women Against Rape) to provide crisis intervention and counseling to sexual assault victims. I hope that my continued work and this additional internship will not only expand my ability to provide support for others, but make my application shine. 

I ultimately want to apply for the Children and Family Services concentration at UC Berkeley, UCLA and SF State - to have a shot at the Title IV Stipend. Any thoughts or recommendations on how I can achieve this goal??

You guys are great... :)

Edited by esimanon

I keep coming back and reading this post. All these amazing words really do help those of us who are struggling with the rejections. I just found out I was turned down by PSU and to be honest I'm pretty devastated. I have over a decade of work experience, though not in social work, and recently returned to finally finish school while raising my daughter. I have a 3.92 with a 4.1 in my major, anthropology. I had a lot of folks review my statement, many of whom are social workers, and they thought it was really strong. I have volunteer experience in social work, though only just under a year of paid experience. I know my letters of reference were all strong. Other than more experience, I'm not sure how to improve my chances....

The only thing I can think of is research interests - do they align with the faculty at that school? Maybe connect with some professors and as specific questions about their research.

The only thing I can think of is research interests - do they align with the faculty at that school? Maybe connect with some professors and as specific questions about their research.

Maybe? I think I also just don't have enough recent experience. My daughter is only two so for the last couple of years I just did school and raised her while supporting us on financial aid. I was hoping that my grades, life experience, work history, sop, and letters would be enough to make up for that. I guess not. It's a bit frightening since I now have no financial aid or job and a child to support. Ahhhh life! Oh well, I'll just keep saying "it will all work out" through clenched teeth. ;)

Also, just so you know, I actually thought of you when I got the news today. I have been stalking this site lately, of course...ha, and have been so impressed with your ability to take all of this in stride and to use it as a motivator rather than something that holds you back. I don't doubt that you will be an excellent social worker.

You can make it work, just keep pushing forward and you will succeed - that's the only result to perseverance! And your daughter will be very proud of her mom :) 

Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

How, if I may ask, were you able to receive a full ride? Was there a specific scholarship for SFSU you applied to? 

• 3 weeks later...

What things do you think you will change?

I'm thinking of doing some volunteer work (Crisis intervention for sexual assault victims) and just adding a year of experience to my resume (currently working for a nonprofit that provides services for foster youth - working on finding family members of children whom were removed to foster life-long family connection for these children)

My GRE's weren't so great so I will be retaking them.

And I will be rewriting my essays - I suspect that's where I messed up - possibly got too personal.

Hi where are you volunteering and what company do you work for? I am looking for a new job and a place to volunteer but i live in los angeles.

Hi where are you volunteering and what company do you work for? I am looking for a new job and a place to volunteer but i live in los angeles.

There are a TON of places to volunteer at in the Los Angeles area, you just have to look. I, personally, volunteered at the downtown's women center and at a shelter for women and children who were survivors of domestic violence. You can also try working at a group home, those types of places are always hiring it seems.

http://volunteerlosangeles.org/

https://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=Los+Angeles%2C+CA%2C+USA

http://www.laworks.com/

How, if I may ask, were you able to receive a full ride? Was there a specific scholarship for SFSU you applied to? 

I meant in regards to being awarded Title IV-E and a CA State Grant. Tuition at SFSU is much cheaper than at a UC, so essentially, it's a full ride

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...