Harvard Vs. Scripps

keca4813

So I want to do Chem Bio and was accepted to both places.  I can't decide which school to go to for my PhD.  I visited both - really liked both while I was there.  Can't figure out which would be best.  Any helpful advice?

I mean yeah warm weather is nice... but in terms of program or whats gonna be better if I want a teaching career? Which do you think?

If you want to teach, then I'd say Harvard because Scripps doesn't offer you the chance to teach undergrads. If you just want to focus on research though, choose Scripps. 

Harvard for a teaching position for sure, but I would say that the weather and culture are better in San Diego. The research depends on the PIs youre interested in and the name of the insitutions will bring you forward the same amount.

If you have undergrad teaching experience and it turns out you're more productive and happy at Scripps than Harvard, then the potential teaching experience at Harvard might become a nonfactor. During your visit to CCB it's worth asking the grad students if they learned something from their teaching experience.

If you want to teach, then I'd say Harvard because Scripps doesn't offer you the chance to teach undergrads. If you just want to focus on research though, choose Scripps. 

At Scripps you have the opportunity to TA the grad courses, or if you want you can TA undergrads at UC-SD.

At Scripps you have the opportunity to TA the grad courses, or if you want you can TA undergrads at UC-SD.

Interesting! I was aware of the grad course opportunity at Scripps, but not the UCSD opportunity. 

Pretty sure I was on both visits with you (OP), but after visiting both, I'd choose Scripps over Harvard. Both are very prestigious institutions in their own right, but for me, Harvard students seemed like they weren't as happy as the students at scripps. Also, at both institutions you would have the ability to teach, so I wouldn't factor that into your decision. Honestly, go with your gut. You'll be successful either way. 

Interesting! I was aware of the grad course opportunity at Scripps, but not the UCSD opportunity. 

Well, to be frank most students probably aren't interested because for a lot of students, one of the perks is not teaching undergrad courses (obviously this is a personal opinion).

So is the reason that TA'ing at UCSD not very common/well heard of because not many people are interested and not because it's difficult to do? One of the things I don't like about Scripps, from the little research I've done, was that I thought it would be hard to teach there, so that's why I'm asking.

So is the reason that TA'ing at UCSD not very common/well heard of because not many people are interested and not because it's difficult to do? One of the things I don't like about Scripps, from the little research I've done, was that I thought it would be hard to teach there, so that's why I'm asking.

I wouldn't say it's not well heard of; it was one of the first things I remember reading about Scripps Chemistry. I think the bottom line is that if you hope to end up in academia you should try to get some teaching experience on your resume. Chances are [at any large public institution] you will be teaching several hundred undergrads in some introductory couse and I imagine the hiring committe would like to see that it won't be your first rodeo. If you intend to go to a small LAC, then this is even more true.

Edited by Faraday

I'm in the exact same situation, actually.  You can't go wrong with either program with regard to the science, so it mostly comes down to personal preferences.  Being interested in many different labs is great, but If there is a particular PI that you really want to work for, then go to that school; you only pick 1 PI, after all.  The weather and the university vs. research institute atmosphere are probably the biggest differences (Harvard does have the Broad), so if you feel strongly either way on those two issues, then those could also be a deciding factor.

I'm probably leaning towards Harvard because I'm really excited about several Harvard labs and only 1 or 2 labs at Scripps, I enjoy teaching and like being in an environment where teaching is seen as more than a nuisance/distraction, and I don't want to have to need a car in grad school.  These are all, obviously, personal preferences and not objective value judgments, so the most important person to listen to when you're making this decision is you!

Happier people at Scripps.....which could be because many people go to Harvard because it's Harvard. Having said that, if you want to go into consulting, then Harvard makes more sense. If you want to do science, then pick the better labs and the nicer place in terms of living.

Edited by wishfulthinking2

Happier people at Scripps.....which could be because many people go to Harvard because it's Harvard. Having said that, if you want to go into consulting, then Harvard makes more sense. If you want to do science, then pick the better labs and the nicer place in terms of living.

I think you're making a lot of unfounded assumptions here, but what do I know?  I'm only a fourth-year at Harvard.

Edited by prolixity