Applying to Theoretical Chemistry, Subject GRE (Physics): To give or not to give.

epinephrine

Hi,

I'll be applying for a phD program in Chemistry, and I want to specialize in Theory. I am wondering whether or not to give the Physics subject GRE. These are the factors I am considering:

1. A strong background in physics is always good for theoretical chemists.

2. I've done several physics courses but because of time constraints, I haven't scored great grades in them

3. I am fairly confident of doing reasonably, on the basis of the subject contents.

4. It's expensive

5. Preparing for it will take up some time in a generally stressful semester- and I can't be sure of how well I'll do!

6. I don't know how much of a difference it will make on my application.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks.

Edited by epinephrine

It depends on the schools you are shooting for. Most schools don't require any subject GRE, and many state that  subject GREs are 'optional'. Of course, if you take it and get a good score, it will look great on the application, especially for top 10 programs. But research experience, GPA, rec letters, publications are way more important. I got in very strong programs including a top 10 in theoretical chem without subject GRE, so it can be done.

You can PM me for my $0.02. Good luck.

IF you did not do well in your intro physics classes then an average at least or strong physics GRE would probably help your application quite a bit in my opinion. You would probably have to put quite a bit of time into preparing so you would just have to think about whether you have the time to do that and also whether taking it would take too much time away from research which could help your applicaiton even more. You can always give it a try and then just not send it to any schools until after you get your scores. Since you did not major in phsyics then I think that anything over 50% even would be impressive on yourresume since you lack many of the classes that other students taking it would have.

Have you take generally all of the physics classes that are on the physics GRE? You will be up against, for the most part, only physics majors, so you will have to be really prepared for it. 

I kind of doubt it would help it that much. You could always take a practice test, treat it like a real test, and see how you do.