Ph.D. Sociology in California

Shahed

Hi everyone :) I'm currently in the process of applying to graduate school and I am in the beginning stages of planning. I've compiled a list of ph.d. sociology programs in California but I want to see if I have missed any that any of you might know of.

Currently, I have the following in my list:

• UC IRVINE
  • UC DAVIS
  • UC SANTA CRUZ
  • UC LA
  • UC SD
  • UC BEREKLEY
  • Stanford
  • USC

Have I missed any that I should take a look at? I'm not looking for any specific characteristics only ph.d. in sociology in California.

Hi everyone :) I'm currently in the process of applying to graduate school and I am in the beginning stages of planning. I've compiled a list of ph.d. sociology programs in California but I want to see if I have missed any that any of you might know of.

Currently, I have the following in my list:

• UC IRVINE
  • UC DAVIS
  • UC SANTA CRUZ
  • UC LA
  • UC SD
  • UC BEREKLEY
  • Stanford
  • USC

Have I missed any that I should take a look at? I'm not looking for any specific characteristics only ph.d. in sociology in California.

Would you be able to elaborate a little more? By characteristics do you mean like you don't care about rankings etc or you don't care what the programs specialize in as long as they are in CA? It makes a huge difference, cause if it is the latter, you should seriously consider taking some time to narrow down your research interests and then start looking at schools based on if they have multiple faculty working in the area that interests you. Not only will it help you choose the right schools to apply to where you fit and will be happy, but it will most definitely affect whether or not you even get in. Again, I don't know what you meant exactly so feel free to ignore this if it doesn't apply to you lol. 

Riverside, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco. But depending on your goals, you may be doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself. Then again, California does seem to have almost every type of program you could be interested in. Good luck!

Thank you, I will take a look at those.  I have lived in the Midwest and the East coast and I did not enjoy either so I'm looking for a good fit in terms of school and life.

Would you be able to elaborate a little more? By characteristics do you mean like you don't care about rankings etc or you don't care what the programs specialize in as long as they are in CA? It makes a huge difference, cause if it is the latter, you should seriously consider taking some time to narrow down your research interests and then start looking at schools based on if they have multiple faculty working in the area that interests you. Not only will it help you choose the right schools to apply to where you fit and will be happy, but it will most definitely affect whether or not you even get in. Again, I don't know what you meant exactly so feel free to ignore this if it doesn't apply to you lol. 

I do have my research interests narrowed down, it's just that I am only looking for programs in California for personal reasons. I do know that there are programs outside of Cali that are stronger for my interests (mainly middle eastern studies, culture, islamophobia, critical race theory, and media studies) but I'd like to stay in California. But if you know of any programs that match the interests that I mentioned, I'd appreciate hearing about them :))

As you are researching schools keep an eye on departments and faculty outside of sociology that might be able to support your specific research interests. For example Santa Barbara has a great religious studies department, middle east studies center (http://www.cmes.ucsb.edu/faculty.html -list of faculty with department affiliations), and a film and media studies program that would all be good resources for your work.

Good luck!

As you are researching schools keep an eye on departments and faculty outside of sociology that might be able to support your specific research interests. For example Santa Barbara has a great religious studies department, middle east studies center (http://www.cmes.ucsb.edu/faculty.html -list of faculty with department affiliations), and a film and media studies program that would all be good resources for your work.

Good luck!

Agreed. If your interests aren't strongly quantitative, you might also look at media studies departments or ethnic studies departments as well. There are lots of great California schools with strengths in your areas of interest, so the geographical restriction isn't quite as stifling. Santa Barbara should definitely be on your radar, though. :)

Best of luck to you!

Good luck!

I did not know all of that. Thank you for your advice :)

Agreed. If your interests aren't strongly quantitative, you might also look at media studies departments or ethnic studies departments as well. There are lots of great California schools with strengths in your areas of interest, so the geographical restriction isn't quite as stifling. Santa Barbara should definitely be on your radar, though. :)

Best of luck to you!

You are right; my interests are more in theory, identity development and qualitative than they are in quanitative research so I will use your advice and look at those departments. Thanks for your help :)

Any other suggestions are definetely welcome.

Also, I would really like to find programs that are non-competitve and more collaborate. If any of you have suggestions on what qualities to look for or any specific programs that have a more collegial and supportive atmosphere, I would appereciate the input :) I will look in other topics here in this forum but if you'd like to reply here, I wouldn't mind it :))