Good Laptop for a Grad Student

chi0

So since I'll be going back to school, I'll need to get a laptop computer. I've been using a desktop since undergrad, but it's time to switch to a laptop for use in the lab or during my commute to school. Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive model that would be appropriate for engineering grad school use, or has anyone been shopping for a new computer and come across a good deal? I'd like to keep the price under $800, and I'll probably just be using it for MS Office and e-mail/internet (I'll hold on to my desktop for photo/video, itunes, etc.). My company gets a discount with Dell but I'd like to hear if anyone has had good/bad experiences with Lenovo, Toshiba or Sony laptops as well.

And does anyone have a strong preference for PC vs. Mac as it relates to getting schoolwork/research done?

A mac is out of the question for me because it doesn't offer full support of some of the languages I use, but my friends who don't have this problem all say great things about macs. However, some have been of the opinion that it's not worth spending more on a mac if the only thing I'm going to do with it is surf the internet and use LaTeX/Word. I have a IBM/Lenovo laptop which is 5 years old now and I'm really pleased with it. It's been my only computer throughout the time period and I use it extensively. The battery's been shot for about a year now, but aside from that it's as good as new. I'll probably get a new computer when I move to the States, and I'll probably want it to be a new Lenovo. I'd love to hear what people here recommend.

I'm a power user and overall computer junkie so keep that in mind.

If you're looking for solid build quality, go for a Lenovo. They break the bank and are boring as nails to look at, but they are solid (think Toyota or Honda).

If you want something with design flair, great hardware for the price, go for a ASUS. They don't have much of a reputation yet and some would say they look silly, but they pack a lot of performance for the price (think Mitsubishi).

If you want something that's very mainstream without many frills, reasonably priced, and fairly reliable, get a Dell (think Hyundai).

HP, Gateway, and Toshiba are other mainstream companies which don't really stand out in any way. HP offers many different SKUs so you can get pretty much what you want, but their reliability and build quality leave something to be desired. Toshiba is kind of, meh, all the way around. Gateway makes a few great gaming laptops (their FX series), but their mainstream laptops are a bit big and unwieldy compared to the competition.

That's my $.2

So since I'll be going back to school, I'll need to get a laptop computer. I've been using a desktop since undergrad, but it's time to switch to a laptop for use in the lab or during my commute to school. Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive model that would be appropriate for engineering grad school use, or has anyone been shopping for a new computer and come across a good deal? I'd like to keep the price under $800, and I'll probably just be using it for MS Office and e-mail/internet (I'll hold on to my desktop for photo/video, itunes, etc.). My company gets a discount with Dell but I'd like to hear if anyone has had good/bad experiences with Lenovo, Toshiba or Sony laptops as well.

And does anyone have a strong preference for PC vs. Mac as it relates to getting schoolwork/research done?

If you're only going to use a laptop for MS office and internet, check out cool netbooks! :P Extremely cheap and sexy looking ones..

If you want to go ahead with a laptop, I advise against Sony ones, esp vaio. Almost every single sony vaio laptop I know of had problems with their keyboards within a few months, some had battery issues but I don't know if that was a general problem but the quality of the keyboard was definitely a widespread problem.

I own a HP pavilion DV series (2025) laptop, its about 3 years old. Its endured some extremely rough handling.. I used to pick up my laptop and hold it by its screen.. one hinge broke off, it still looks and works fine.. it does have a few heating issues but that's to be expected in this Indian summer (40-45 deg Celsius!). However HP laptops have issues with their cd drives.. this is a general problem. Most hp laptops people own here have issues with the cd drive.

I also had a toshiba laptop 4 years ago. That had HUGE heating issues.

People here generally seem to be extremely happy with Dell. For cheaper options, people go for Acer ones.

Macs are great of course :P but for MS office and email/internet only? Get the cheapest available laptop.. you will most probably get good deals through your university..

If you're only going to use a laptop for MS office and internet, check out cool netbooks! :P Extremely cheap and sexy looking ones..

This is my plan! My Apple Powerbook is on its last legs so I'm definitely going to get a new computer this summer. I realized that the reason why I like my laptop so much is just that I like being able to bring it with me to campus to take notes, check email between classes, etc. I also like being able to work on papers sitting downstairs on my couch instead of at my desk. But, I also found it frustrating having it as my primary computer - there are some things laptops just aren't as good as desktops for. I do a fair amount of coding and it's much easier programming when you have a bigger monitor (or two!). So I've decided to get two computers - one tiny cheap netbook (probably a Dell Mini) for commuting purposes and one desktop for serious working at home purposes (also watching tv online >_>). It'll actually cost about the same as getting a high-end laptop. Plus, being a huge dork I may set it up so that I can access my desktop at home remotely via my laptop, in case I need to access files I don't have on the laptop. I may also Hackintosh my laptop because I'm really fond of OS X. (Hence why I'm thinking of getting the Dell Mini - they Hackintosh well.)

Don't forget to look into special academic discounts offered through your school!

I've used laptops daily for seven years, and as a result I managed to crunch up the vertebrae in my neck so badly that I had constant, debilitating nerve pain in my hands for months. A lot of my young, laptop using friends are also getting repetitive strain injuries, and we're all in our early twenties. My physiotherapist commanded me to get a desk top.

If you're going the laptop route, be sure to be nice to your spine! Stand up and stretch periodically, use an external keyboard when you can.

Unless you plan on gaming, I wouldn't invest too much on buying BOTH a desktop and a laptop. My suggestion is this:

1 Laptop

1 Monitor

1 Ext. Hard Drive

1 USB/Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse

And that should be all you'll ever need. For your laptop, I'd personally push for a good quality netbook. Asus ones are widely reputed to be the best of the netbooks (btw, I'm not interested in getting into any netbook flame wars). These will run XP and likely Windows 7 when it comes out, they'll play videos very nicely, they perform very efficiently, have great battery life and portability, and for the times you gotta hunker down at home and chug out some code, just plug in the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and you have your desktop. Of course, with netbooks, hard drive space is an issue, so get a simple cheap external for your storage.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were starting from nothing and getting an all-purpose setup, I'd do something along these lines.

Oh, I'd also like to put in a plug for tablet pc's. I loved mine in undergrad -- never had to ever ever use a notebook to take notes. The Asus T91 netbook tablet is coming out soon, but I don't know when. Won't that be the best of both worlds, eh?

I would never suggest a laptop as the primary computer of a student; they are not powerful enough (or rather, what power you get comes at a large price) and they have tiny keyboards and screens (or if they don't, they are too big to be portable, thus making the laptop a desktop that was more expensive).

However, as bryan suggested, you could easily turn your laptop into a desktop with a keyboard, mouse, and a nice monitor. (And since you already have a desktop, they could just share peripherals). I would DEFINITELY suggest a netbook. You will not only save in price, but also in total weight; trust me, a few extra ounces/pounds means A LOT when you are carrying them every day, with books and notebooks, etc. I would also suggest the Acer Aspire One. When I first touched this netbook, I seriously fell in love. It was elegant, came in a lovely blue color, was lightweight (less than 2 pounds), and was less than $400! I love the keyboard on it. You can easily upgrade it to 1GB (or more) of RAM, and RAM (even SO DIMMS) is so cheap these days. It can also come with Windows XP instead of linux if that's what you prefer, and with upgraded RAM it could probably even handle Windows 7, when it is released. I'm not a huge fan of buttons on the side instead of below the trackpad, but you could also just hookup a mouse. Seriously, I love this netbook.

So at $400, that still leaves tons in your budget for a nice carrying case, an extra battery, upgrades to RAM and/or hard drive (or an external hard drive), etc. etc.

I would definitely agree that for "everyday" use - word processing, web surfing, that sort of thing - the laptop plus external monitor/keyboard/mouse combination is great. You get portability and the comfort of the larger-sized monitor and keyboard. However, if you're more of a power user who does anything video or audio editing related, plays games, or does a lot of coding work, the processing power of a netbook simply isn't enough. Even with my regular laptop, I had to use the computer science lab often because code just took too long to compile on my own computer. (My thesis work was especially ridiculous - it took hours for the data processing, even on their desktops! I took a lot of nap breaks in the student lounge while waiting for it to finish...) So, that's why I'm planning on the desktop + netbook combo. I want the extreme portability of a netbook but the processing power of a desktop - and that's pretty impossible to find in a single computer.

do macs have sturdy keypads ? I'm used to hammering away at a Lenovo at work, but i'm thinking of getting a mac (I do want to know what it feels like, to be a mac-snob :D)

I have an iMac, and am not a "mac snob" (my other computer is an XPS running Ubuntu, and my laptop runs Vista). Honestly, my mac is my favorite computer. Yes, they are generally more expensive, but OS X is a very intuitive OS, and I really like the video/photo editing options. I have one of the newer mac keyboards, which is essentially a notebook keyboard without the notebook, and I've found it perfectly study and comfortable. The keys are small height-wise, so you don't have to push them down as far as you might with an older keyboard, but they still have a nice amount of resistance and a pleasant, muted keystroke sound.

I currently have a 17" Toshiba laptop with external USB mouse so I don't need an external keyboard. It's basically my desktop notebook because it has 2GB ram and 80GB HDD. I have an external hard drive where I store my excess files. I do NOT carry it around campus.

Should I get another laptop (12-14" Toshiba preferable) or a netbook? I'm planning to attend a program where computers are required in classrooms.

I have an iMac, and am not a "mac snob" (my other computer is an XPS running Ubuntu, and my laptop runs Vista). Honestly, my mac is my favorite computer. Yes, they are generally more expensive, but OS X is a very intuitive OS, and I really like the video/photo editing options. I have one of the newer mac keyboards, which is essentially a notebook keyboard without the notebook, and I've found it perfectly study and comfortable. The keys are small height-wise, so you don't have to push them down as far as you might with an older keyboard, but they still have a nice amount of resistance and a pleasant, muted keystroke sound.

thanks - an intuitive OS should be a nice change !

I am not an Apple "fanboy", but I wouldn't use any other computer for my academic work. Aside from being greatly intuitive, OS X is the most reliable OS I have ever used on a laptop. TimeMachine is an absolute godsend (automatic backups) and the multi-gesture trackpad does wonders for increasing productivity (switching between windows, scrolling, zooming, etc.). I've never had a system crash and the computer remains "snappy" after extended use (unlike windows and its registry from hell!).

In my experience, XP would crash spontaneously and I found myself constantly formatting the hard-drive (maybe once a year). I was plagued with multiple system crashes and I actually lost a 25 page paper once (grr). I tried Ubuntu for a bit, but I had issues with the wireless card and putting the computer in sleep mode. I think Linux works best with the desktop variety (or so I've been told by IT gurus).

Honestly, I know Macs have a premium, but I think the lower end MacBook is an excellent choice. With a student discount, I'm sure it'll be around $1,000 and will retain a much higher resale value than its PC counterparts. The screen size, weight, and battery life are perfectly accustomed to academic work. Also, as a word of caution, I would advise against purchasing a netbook. Have you tried to type on those things? It's nearly impossible and you always have to squint! I would suggest a 13"-14" screen (I've used 12.1, 13.3, 15.4).

If you're not interested in purchasing a Mac, I would suggest an Asus... solid build, excellent specs, and great price point.

Not gonna lie, I have a Mac, and I'm in love with it. I'm not in love with the company or anything since I could barely care less, and I'm not an Apple snob since I don't know enough about computers to even be capable of snobbery about them . . . that being said:

1) Unlike my old Dell, my Mac has never spontaneously died on me (knock wood),

2) The process for getting help with it is relatively easy, compared to being on hold with tech support for HOURS,

3) It's pretty. Since I don't know anything about "insert technobabble here," prettiness definitely ranks high on my criterion for gadgetry.

But, here's the down side: I have a MacBook Pro, and it was beastly expensive, especially compared to the going rate for PCs. Even the substantial student discount I got at the time did not make the purchase remotely bearable: it took months of saving, which essentially meant months of eating string cheese for each meal of the day. At the same time, I've got to say that my old Dell ended up costing me much, much more over time in money and sanity, what with the four (count 'em: FOUR) times it died for complicated internal reasons that I still don't understand. Despite the giant initial investment, the fact that my obscenely expensive laptop is still running well (knock wood again) is worth it for me. I guess this is why I'll probably be forever grateful to Apple: turning my computer on in the morning is no longer an anxiety-filled event.

I'm a devoted Mac user. For all the complaints about pricing, Macs are actually fairly competitive with similarly-spec'd PCs - they just don't offer a down-market model. However, when my MacBookPro got stolen (sadness!), I couldn't afford to replace it right away and ended up purchasing a Lenovo tablet on serious discount. I hate Vista but am researching getting Ubuntu up and running instead, which looks like a manageable project for a quiet weekend sometime soon.

Since the OP set an $800 budget, Macs are out (starting at $999, and I don't think student discounts are that steep). For PCs, I'm solidly in the IBM/Lenovo camp. I help maintain and repair the laptop fleet for my department of 150 people and much prefer the ThinkPads to the Dells and Vaios I also have to deal with. They're completely solid, easy to buy parts for and repair when things go wrong, generally loaded with fewer junk utilities you'll curse/uninstall... and unlike macs, periodically end up on sale. If this is going to be your primary or sole computer, I'd definitely endorse them. If your desktop is still up and running, the idea of a netbook for taking notes in class is fine, but not necessarily a great choice for anything requiring heavier processor power.

I would definitely shell out the extra $200 for a mac. I've been a mac user all my life and have owned 3 laptops (2 iBooks and my current MacBook) and I have loved all of them for a variety of reasons:

1.) They can take a beating: I am not computer friendly by any means - I drop my computers, pick them up by their screens, and my dog walks all over it trying to give me kisses. The only reasons the first two died were because I let one iBook swim in soda (don't ask) and the other one fell from my desk onto our tile flooring (but it took awhile for it to kick the bucket).

2.) They're idiot friendly: I am not a computer person by any means, but I can navigate my mac with ease - installing, downloading, etc. is pretty simple and straight forward.

3.) They're tech support is the best: Genius bar -- need I say more?

4.) They're* pretty: I'm a girl so what do you expect?

5.) They last a long time: If I hadn't drowned one in soda and dropped the other one I wouldn't have ever needed to replace the first one.

I know money can be tight (and it is with me), but I am so happy that I shelled out the extra cash to get a MacBook. It is so portable and can do everything a PC can from the convenience of my own lap! I've never had a desktop and don't really worry about it. So, even if money is an issue, I would definitely consider a Mac.

*happy now? Geez...

2.) Their idiot friendly: I am not a computer person by any means, but I can navigate my mac with ease - installing, downloading, etc. is pretty simple and straight forward.

3.) Their tech support is the best: Genius bar -- need I say more?

4.) Their pretty: I'm a girl so what do you expect?

Not to be really mean, but typing "they're" isn't that much harder :)

Anywho, people mentioned Linux, and I'll only throw in a word of caution. I run it myself and actually set it up for my stepdad to use and he hasn't had any issues whatsoever. So, why would I caution anyone? Because, for example, in his case it took me a couple of hours of looking at source code to get the ethernet card to work. Linux can be great if someone sets it up for you and that person installs everything you ever need so you never have to mess with it yourself. Or... if you have lots of time on your hands and desire to google things on regular basis. You can also setup a dual-boot and tinker with linux when you have time (that probably won't happen in grad school :))

The Mac suggestions aren't bad, just because they are indeed easy to use and you won't deal with viruses/malware as much (people just don't bother writing those for OS X apparently :)). They are expensive, like everyone pointed out. If you're gonna look at other manufacturers, I'd really recommend Asus. Their hardware has always been reliable for me. Something like this, for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220518

I'd also recommend reinstalling the OS once you get it, just to get rid of the random programs that come preinstalled, but that's just my preference :)

Anywho, people mentioned Linux, and I'll only throw in a word of caution. I run it myself and actually set it up for my stepdad to use and he hasn't had any issues whatsoever. So, why would I caution anyone? Because, for example, in his case it took me a couple of hours of looking at source code to get the ethernet card to work. Linux can be great if someone sets it up for you and that person installs everything you ever need so you never have to mess with it yourself. Or... if you have lots of time on your hands and desire to google things on regular basis. You can also setup a dual-boot and tinker with linux when you have time (that probably won't happen in grad school :))

I second this; linux generally runs well on desktops, but a lot of the drivers for laptops are much more difficult to set up, if they even exist. Dell and HP both sell a few laps pre-installed with linux (and so does ASUS, ACER, and a number of other places), and I would say to never, ever run linux on a laptop unless the laptop came with linux/drivers or you are a serious computer enthusiast/programmer. This is doubly true of tablets or anything else with crazy driver requirements. I also love the dual-boot option (works much better than wine, in my opinion) but again, really only on a desktop or a laptop that came with linux already.

I'd also recommend reinstalling the OS once you get it, just to get rid of the random programs that come preinstalled, but that's just my preference :)

Also seconded for anything that came with a windows OS; a nice clean fresh install does wonders, even for a monster like vista.

forgot to mention one link, for people interested in trying this option: http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

Find your model there and go nuts :)

Much appreciated - it links to a couple how-tos I hadn't found yet.

I second this; linux generally runs well on desktops, but a lot of the drivers for laptops are much more difficult to set up, if they even exist. Dell and HP both sell a few laps pre-installed with linux (and so does ASUS, ACER, and a number of other places), and I would say to never, ever run linux on a laptop unless the laptop came with linux/drivers or you are a serious computer enthusiast/programmer. This is doubly true of tablets or anything else with crazy driver requirements.

Yeah; I wasn't advising that as a solution for the OP so much as commenting on personal experience. Then again, I think it's not unreasonable to expect that a demographic as comparatively young and educated as gradcafe has any number of people who could pull it off.