As I wait for final decision...

lucyyy19

So I was put on pending status for CSULB and as I wait for their response I am already thinking ways to improve for next year (hoping that is not the case).

I hear a lot of people say that experience has a lot to do with it. So I am asking for advice...where should I volunteer? What is adequate experience? Any constructive advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

I hope you do get in and you don't have to worry about applying again, but I do want to tell you about some volunteer work that I have done.  For the past three years I have volunteered a few hours a week at an online hotline.  It was really great, because it was like IM and you would have clients from all over the world.  And since it is on the internet, you don't have to be in a specific place either (it was the only volunteer job that I was able to do in my room in my pajamas!).  I thought it was good experience, and I was able to say a lot about it in my personal statement, which is also important.  You are right that experience is important, but it is equally important to demonstrate what you have learned from it.

If you want more information about the hotline I use, feel free to message me.  Full disclosure is that it is sponsored by a religious organization so some of the training is faith-based.  However, it is far from a prayer line and really operates like a regular hotline once you get past the training.  Just thought you and anyone else should know in case that would be a deal-breaker.

Hello Catlovers141,

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Your advice is greatly appreciated. I would love to hear more about the hotline and will be messaging you shortly.

Thanks again for your help!!

Look at being a CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocate.  Interesting work if they accept you into the program and each CASA office or area seems to have little things that are different. The CASA in Contra Costa County has you pick a child, agree to a two year commitment and attend training meetings before your sworn in that lasts a month at least two times a week.

Timing is just bad for me right now, however, this is something I'm very interested in and will end up pursuing in the future.

I thought so when I went to my local one and they talked about the challenges and opportunities that comes with being a CASA. Gina, gave it to us as straight as she could while keeping confidences, letting us know that it isn't for everyone, but for those who go through the training and want to be part of the program the rewards are many personally. She has been with one child for 5 years, her choice and the childs choice to keep in contact.  

I am wait listed in Wilfrid Laurier for MSW - 2 Year Program. Does anyone know how likely I will get an admission in the Fall 2014 batch? 

I have also applied for the same program in University of Toronto. Has anyone heard from them yet? 

Which one is better? Wilfrid Laurier/ UofT? In teaching and placement assistance?