Fedloan Deferment - EDUCATION RELATED DEFERMENT REQUEST

natebassett

Hi, so if you have loans through the department of education (which you probably do), there is a form that you can fill out to get defered if you are in a graduate program with a fellowship. Here's my question - I got an assistantship from UIC where my tuition and fees are paid and I have to be a teaching/research assistant. Does this qualify me for deferment?  

Edited by natebassett

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can defer them. It doesn't matter if you have income. The only requirement is that you be enrolled at least half-time. I have a fellowship that pays my tuition and a stipend and my loans are deferred. However, the interest does continue to accrue. You can pay it if you want or you can just let it be added to the balance.

Yes, you can defer them. It doesn't matter if you have income. The only requirement is that you be enrolled at least half-time. I have a fellowship that pays my tuition and a stipend and my loans are deferred. However, the interest does continue to accrue. You can pay it if you want or you can just let it be added to the balance.

Did you have to fill out paperwork to defer or did it happen once your new school registered you as a student? Also, did it defer once classes started or when you signed up for classes?

When I went from undergrad to my masters, I just gave them a call. One of my loans had lost it's grace period due to a scheduling conflict when I was doing community college but they still agreed to defer it if I showed them my acceptance letter. I didn't have to pay anything after I asked them to do that.

Did you have to fill out paperwork to defer or did it happen once your new school registered you as a student? Also, did it defer once classes started or when you signed up for classes?

I had to fill out paperwork. I'm not sure when you can submit the paperwork. For me, registering for classes and starting classes happened within a week of each other. The website for the loan agency probably has information about deferment. If not, you can call them and ask how to get the form. The form will be specific to the lender. In my case, I had to submit a form for my federal loans and a form to my private loans (originally borrowed from Citi and now managed by Discover)