Divisional Funding Applications

themmases

Has anyone had success with general divisional funding applications?

I was admitted to my top choice program (UIC), and they sent a funding application and a timeline with the decision. I've contacted the department before, so I know it's not common for MS students in public health to come in with funding but "most people who want to work are able to" and can network into something after 1-2 semesters. My partner and I are prepared for that, but of course I still want to apply and do the best I can. Also, I've coordinated clinical research for the last 4 years so I have some experience creating budgets and proposals. I feel like I have a golden opportunity here to quickly turn in something persuasive and professional.

What I see as my strong points:

- My experience is specifically in making other people's projects happen. Every year I help medical fellows who have never done research before get trained, start projects, and get a conference abstract accepted within 4 months of their arrival in my department.

- Versatility. My interest is in health disparities, and I would be willing to pursue a disparities angle while helping with work in almost any health problem. I've worked on projects with infants to senior citizens.

- Justifiable budget. I won't be moving, so my estimates of my expenses are based on years of budgeting. Expenses will either represent a reduction of x% from what I spent as a full-time employee, or are below my means now and are good choices for a grad student (e.g. my rent includes all utilities).

Weak points:

- Obviously I'm a masters student.

- I don't have stats experience yet.

- I don't know my advisor yet (they'll be assigned in July).

- There is one application to be considered for everything. I'm switching fields and don't feel qualified to teach much of anything.

Is there anything I'm missing? I feel like I should spend most of the time emphasizing my usefulness to the department, with a short justification of my budget. There's no stated word limit, but I'm sure shorter is better.

Thanks so much to anyone with insight!