How to choose a lab?

antibody89

Depends on your situation. Do you have any previous research experience? What field was it? Did you enjoy it and are interested in continuing? Do you have any other field that you're interested in? Does the program you're going to have some particular strong areas that might warrant a rotation to try it out?

Think about what size of lab you want to be in and the make-up of the lab that you're looking for ie mostly grad students, mostly undergrads, mostly post-docs, etc.

Also consider what kind of mentor you're looking for (ie more hands on/off) and don't be afraid to email grad students in that lab to ask these types of questions.

Lastly, does the lab have a lot of funding and will you be supported through your time there. Is there a lab tech in the lab or will you be responsible for making all media, reagents, etc

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. So I already chose my POI but now I have to send them an email to ask if I can rotate in their lab. Do you have suggestions on what I should say in the email (besides saying that I am interested in rotating in their lab)? Thanks!