Tips for applying to PhD programs. Any advice?

researchguru85

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback of my chances of getting into a Top 35 Sociology PhD program. Also, do you have any suggestions for Soc programs that I can apply to given my research interests?

My stats:

Undergraduate gpa (6 yrs ago): Overall - 2.94. Major: (Sociology) - 3.5

Graduate gpa: 3.45

-Two Sociology independent research projects in undergrad (received an 'A' in both)

-Three research assistant positions: One in underad; two in graduate school. None of these research experiences are in Sociology.

-GRE: 168 V; 156 Q; 4.5 Analytical Writing

Research interests: Immigration (primarily new immigrants and thei second-generation children), identity formation, nationalism, race/ethnicity, gender

Your advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

We can't really give feedback on chances, because chances at doctoral programs are very idiosyncratic.  They have a lot to do with not only your "stats" but also the competitiveness of the pool and the needs of the professors.  What I can say is that your undergrad GPA will be less important because it's 6 years old, and your undergrad sociology major GPA is generally in the range that programs want, but your graduate GPA is a bit low unless your program doesn't engage in the same kind of grade inflation most programs do.  Also, you said that none of your research experience was in sociology - that's going to be a problem.  Are they at least in related fields (like social psychology, anthropology, perhaps political science)?

Also, your research interests are very broad and I'm sure that most of the top 35 programs have someone doing research in at least one of those areas.  Try narrowing a little.  Are you interested in gender differences of American identity formation in second-generation immigrant families?  Or ethnicity differences in assimilation among immigrant families...etc.

Thank you for your insightful reply, juilletmercredi.  I have a professional Master’s degree. Will that affect the impact/importance of the graduate gpa? Also, my research experience is in psychology. So, I think that should be OK?

In terms of my research interests, you hit it! My interests are in ethnicity assimilation among Caribbean immigrant families. As for schools, I am currently looking at Irvine, UCLA, SUNY and CUNY.

Would you suggest that I retake the GRE given my low GPA?

Thanks again!

Hello?

Are you a URM? Did you just complete your master's degree or was it completed at least a year ago? If so, what have you been doing in the meantime? With your stats, you should be able to get in somewhere however, this will really depend on how well you package yourself mainly how well put together your story is via the Personal Statement. -Admissions Advice Online