low uGrad GPA + 2 master degrees = apply for Phd?

girodanobruno

Hello everybody ,

I realise that part of my question is repetitive, but could not find a satisfactory answer to my predicament, so here goes: 

Low undergrad gpa in biochemistry ( aprox 7/10, where 5 is the minimum passing grade and 10 is the maximum) from a european university.Bad moves and wrong choices...Now trying to improve the situation : MSc degree in neuroscience ( at the moment, in the top 3% of my class, admitted with a 9.95/10 ,scholarship) and a MSc degree in chemical biology (considered somewhat of an elite program,research oriented and offering great LORs , obviously not related to neuro).I will be finishing both of them in 2015.

Wanting to apply to a few top-end phd's in the EU(Swiss) in neuroscience and found a few labs that tackle my (narrow) interests.There is the possibility of applying directly to the phd coordinator (and thus maybe having a better chance).

Also I should mention that I have some experience in bioinformatics that could be applied to neuroscience to some extent.

My questions are : 

1.Classical question: does a good/great GPA at Msc level outweigh undergrad gpa(at least to some extent)?

2.Two master degrees better than one or viceversa? In my mind, it would be somewhat of minus.What do you guys think?

3.Would a GRE subject test in biochemistry help to offset the mediocre GPA or would it be a waste of time?

4.LORs from someone in the field vs LORs from someone outside the field?

Any other questions/suggestions are appreciated

1. In my experience, a good Master's gpa can balance out a lower undergrad gpa. I had a low undergrad GPA when I applied during my senior year and was rejected everywhere. I got a Masters in an unrelated field and had an excellent gpa since I left undergrad, and I now have two acceptances at good schools. 

2. I'm not sure why you think two masters is worse than one? I assume you're enrolled in some kind of joint program since you're finishing them at the same time. I don't see why that would hurt you?

3. You should look at the requirements of the schools. If they require or even discuss that test on their admissions website, it would probably be helpful to take the test. if none of the programs require it or mention it as an option, it's probably not helpful. 

4. Generally, it's more important to pick letter writers who can talk about you and your abilities from personal experience than writers who are well known. Academic letters are usually better than non-academic letters. If you have research experience that's relevant even if it's not strictly in the field, a letter from your PI probably would be valuable. But a letter from your manager at Chuck-E-Cheese (even if you're the most amazing employee ever) won't be as helpful as a good letter from a professor. 

Thank you for your advice.

I would think that having two master degrees in different subfields of biology would send a "not a clear purpose in mind" kind of signal.

In regards to the LORs I should rephrase the question: would it be better to have them from someone withing the field of neuroscience (considering that this is what I would like to persue) or someone from a related field ( bioinformatics, chemical biology)? the lab I am after  is mainly neuroscience centered but also has a twist of bioinformatics.Considering that they require 2 LORs - should I go with 1 from each field?

I think that you are thinking too much into the # of masters thing. Plenty of people take a while to figure out their interests or are interested in a couple areas. The important thing is that you have figured it out by the time you apply and will be able to write a clear SOP on your interests and goals.

Your masters GPA should make up for your ugpa. They want to see they you can handle the coursework of the program and strong masters gpas will show that.