CIHR DRA 2014 anyone?

echob

Was suprised that I couldn't find an existing thread for CIHR Doctoral Research Award. We find out in 2 weeks time and I am getting nervous!

Anyone else freaking out? The chances are so slim, but I still want to know!

I'm a SSHRC applicant but I take interest in monitoring CIHR and NSERC threads as well. I hope we all hear some good news within the next two weeks. Good luck :)

I'm a SSHRC applicant but I take interest in monitoring CIHR and NSERC threads as well. I hope we all hear some good news within the next two weeks. Good luck :)

Thanks! You too. I'm always curious as well

do you guys wanna share your stats? (this is anonymous afterall). The number of awards is less this too year, so i don't think i have a chance

last year i applied, i had 1 first author paper and 1 coauthor paper, i was ranked like 36%?

this year i applied, i had 2 first author, and 2 coauthor paper, and 2 that were in press?

this is my last chance applying too

I don't mind sharing my stats. They were quite atrocious. I think I was 78%? Close to the bottom.  That year, I had 2 first author papers.

This year, I have 3 first author papers in strong journals. I'm not holding my breath though, considering what happened last year.

Nope, Queen's. You?

It's kind of ridiculous. One of the reviewers scored me high, the other not so much.  So subjective.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting!  I just wanted to post my stats.  I applied in 2012 with 3 first author publications in good journals and ranked at 19%.  This year I just have an additional coauthor paper published, 2 first author papers submitted and one second author paper submitted.  

I find it interesting to hear the stats of those who were and who were not successful - it really shows that a great deal of this is luck.  

Likewise depressedphdstudent - looks like you have a really strong application this year.  Hoping for the best for all of us!

Ahh… same! 

Any idea how many applicants the foreign award gets? I could never find any stats on that. I'm guessssing ~150, but could be way off. 

It's my first year applying & feels funny not having anyone around me be in the same situation...

Last year when I applied, there was no breakdown in DFSA vs. non-DFSA on my notification letter. When I talked to the program director of the grant, she had said that they basically just take the top 10-12 that are in the pool of people that would've received a CGS-D as it is. So you still need to score in the 10-15%ile overall or whatever it comes down to this year. FYI last year I was in the 20th %ile. Had 1 primary author, a couple second/third etc author papers and a few abstracts accepted at major conferences. My major hit was all from one reviewer. One reviewer gave an overall score of 4.40/4.90 and the other didnt even give one score greater than 4.20 on any of the sections. It is a very subjective process. 

So if less than 10 DFSA people score in the awarded percentile, they will give less than 10 awards? 

Question: from previous posts, the notification is given via email and on researchnet; where on researchnet do they show the information? Under the completed tab, below the award.. or…? 

You sound like you were very close last year, and your record seems pretty good (I bet even better this year), good luck!

1. Yes this is apparently correct, but in reality never happens. Also, the tend to split up 50/50 DRA/DRB categories for the DFSA.

2. It should be an email and then check on research net under completed or current activities. I can't remember which one. Then it will give you a notification letter, rankings etc. as a PDF file

Good luck!

Where do you go to school?

For all of you who are waiting, here are the stats:

DRA Committee A: 750 applications, 84 approved

DRA Committee B: 526 applications, 60 approved

Question for you depressedphdstudent (perhaps not so depressed anymore?).

Are you already attending your university or starting in the fall?

im already attending. this is actually my 3rd year of phd, i was a masters student first year and transferred to PhD

why? ask  your q anyways , i can always ask around to see if they know your answer

Edited by depressedphdstudent

OOh sweet. This is my first year PhD, so I put requested funding of 3 years, BUT the latest expected graduated date I could put in my application was Dec. 2016. It didn't allow me to input anything later.  My PhD will probably take until 2017. Just wondering if I'll get 2 years or 3 years of funding from CIHR. Have any idea?

I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow when they officially post the funding decisions on their website.

Edited by echob