GWU Elliott or UCSD IR/PS…Need some help here, thanks!

I’m really in the middle of a tough decision: MA International Affairs, Elliott School, GWU or Master of Pacific International Affairs, IR/PS, UCSD. There is no significant difference in the cost of attendance.

Here is my analysis of the advantages of both programs.

GWU: Location, reputation, rich internship opportunities and alumni resource

UCSD: Strong focus on quantitative training and intensive curriculum

I’m more leaning to UCSD. First, my undergraduate is foreign language studies, and no full-time employment experience. I guess what I need most is to learn some hard skills which can possibly lead to jobs. Though a lot of people are saying there are more opportunities at D.C. and Elliott is a great school, as an international student with limited academic/professional background, I don’t think those resources can do the most good. After all, the effect of networking still needs to be built on individual strengths. Second, I’m interested in the academia and may finally do a PhD. UCSD has stronger departments in political science and economics. I guess that may be a better fit.

So I really hope to hear about any thoughts or comments on my decision process. Thanks a lot!

hey marwanslm,

I'm pretty much in the same situation, debating between Elliott & IR/PS. A huge factor for me is that Elliott gave me $0 and IR/PS gave me a full ride plus stipend. I have only heard great things about both programs, but if all things were equal I would have to say the DC locale for Elliott is a big draw. But the funding has really tipped everything for me and now I'm leaning heavily toward IR/PS. I did my undergrad at UCSD and know it's an amazing school. However, I'm still going to the Elliott Admit Day to see if I can be swayed! 

I think if you're sincerely interested in a PhD, UCSD is the way to go. The poli sci department is top notch and consistently ranked among the best.I was a poli sci major and had some really great courses and professors.

Also, there are quite a number of international students in San Diego and everyone is incredibly friendly and welcoming.

Hi, @ceid90,

Thank you for the information. It's quite interesting that IR/PS is particularly popular among international students and Elliott School seems not so attractive. Many friends of mine (like 6-7) all received ad from IR/PS with no funding and still going. I guess the environment of California is so irresistible. But many people also told me that D.C. is also a very diverse place. So there may be some other things to think about besides academics and work opportunities.