How to defer loans

EccentricAcademic

Hey all,

So, I was under the impression that if you are in grad school your loans from your undergrad degree are automatically deferred. Is this correct?

Or, do you have to apply for them to be deferred? How long does that take? I've been accepted somewhere and will be going to school in mid-fall, and am going to take out more federal loans. I don't want to accidentally enter repayment while I'm preparing to go to grad school full time!

It depends on who your loans are with. I had to send in a proof of enrollment even though my school is a part of the national clearinghouse system but for some reason they never reported it to the loan company (surprise surprise). Just remember that subsidized loans do not accrue interest during deferment but unsubsidized ones do, so you might as well start paying off the interest on those anyway. Again, it depends on who your loan is with (private or government), and what their policies are.