Security Studies: Denver Korbel vs Pitt GSPIA

wolfie53

Hello all,

It appears these types of thread plague the forum so I apologize but it appears everyone is gearing up for admissions deadlines and what not. Basically, I believe that there is a strong chance I will receive a rejection from AU SIS. I already got rejected from GWU Elliott so it basically leaves me with my two acceptances: Denver Korbel and Pitt GSPIA. Both are with no intial merit aid and GSPIA will be out of state tuition. From first look Denver seems to be more attractive at the moment despite the higher pricetag. They appear to have more connections in the MA in security studies than GSPIA does but GSPIA is conviently located closer to DC and NYC, but I don't see that making much of a difference as both programs have semesters in DC.

As it stands I might just risk indebting myself if it means being able to build a network with Korbel. GSPIA is less but would still be 32K a year tuition. Cost of living seems to be similar in both cities.

Since I am not familiar with "insider's views" on both schools I thought I would open it up to the floor to discuss the reputations of each.

• 11 months later...

I was accepted to Korbel and GSPIA, but I chose Korbel.  I don't have any insider information, but Korbel offered me 15k a year and I would rather spend two years in Denver.  You have a tough choice though.  From what I found when I was researching schools to apply to, both programs are very similar in quality and substance.  

Hello all,

It appears these types of thread plague the forum so I apologize but it appears everyone is gearing up for admissions deadlines and what not. Basically, I believe that there is a strong chance I will receive a rejection from AU SIS. I already got rejected from GWU Elliott so it basically leaves me with my two acceptances: Denver Korbel and Pitt GSPIA. Both are with no intial merit aid and GSPIA will be out of state tuition. From first look Denver seems to be more attractive at the moment despite the higher pricetag. They appear to have more connections in the MA in security studies than GSPIA does but GSPIA is conviently located closer to DC and NYC, but I don't see that making much of a difference as both programs have semesters in DC.

As it stands I might just risk indebting myself if it means being able to build a network with Korbel. GSPIA is less but would still be 32K a year tuition. Cost of living seems to be similar in both cities.

Since I am not familiar with "insider's views" on both schools I thought I would open it up to the floor to discuss the reputations of each.

For what it's worth, I would recommend Korbel.  Beautiful location with and great quality of life.  Korbel has a solid ranking in the last FP listings. 

I am having a similar problem deciding.  The question I have is about degree requirements. Gspia is a 48hour degree while Korbel is a 90 hour degree??  I understand that Korbel is on the quarter system, and not semesters, but how does this add up?  Are Korbel classes still 3 hour, or are they more?  Any insight highly appreciated!

I am having a similar problem deciding.  The question I have is about degree requirements. Gspia is a 48hour degree while Korbel is a 90 hour degree??  I understand that Korbel is on the quarter system, and not semesters, but how does this add up?  Are Korbel classes still 3 hour, or are they more?  Any insight highly appreciated!

Korbel classes are 5 credit hours per.  Most students take 3 courses per quarter.  

I definitely loved the courses and opportunities from Korbel's International Security program based on my research. If I didn't get accepted into Elliott, I would have chosen that as my next option :D .