New York, Israel, and Debt

Hello all,

I am applying to two schools:

The New School (NYC): MA in International Affairs (two years) | $100,000 of debt (tuition + living expenses)

IDC Herzliya (Israel): MA in Government (one year) | $38,000 of debt (tuition + living expenses)

Why am I considering studying in Israel, you may be wondering? Because I am interested in conflict resolution, diplomacy, international security, and the Middle East.

Would it be absolutely ridiculous to study at IDC Herzliya? Given that the school is pretty much unknown in the USA, would going there jeopardize my career? I would love to study at The New School but am terrified at the prospect of racking up $100K of debt...

Thanks in advance for all input.

Edited by mranderson

I'm curious as to why you're limiting yourself to just those two schools. From what I understand, there are great opportunities for your areas of interest at a host of other schools as well.

Yeah, it does seem odd that you're just looking at those schools.  These days, almost every school has a program in international security or conflict resolution and at most schools you can do Middle East regional studies.  If cost is a major concern, you should think about spreading your net more widely, including applying to schools that are a) cheaper and b )where you stand a chance of getting some grant-based funding.  It might be great to do a summer abroad at Herzilya, if Israel is your specific country of focus.

Edited by Gov2School

I agree with the above. Not only are there many programs in conflict/dispute resolution and/or peace studies, nearly all of them will have at least one (if not several) professors whose main focus is on the Israel/Palestine conflict. Of those, not all of them will offer you RA/TA positions or scholarship opportunities, but many will. Of those that don't, the tuition is still far cheaper than the New School and cost of living is much better than that of NYC.  

I'm not saying don't apply or attend the New School. But if you are worried about finances, there are several other options. 

it doesn't have to be a DC program (though not sure what you mean by tame? New School seems like a pretty standard program to me). What I'm really saying is that when I think about Masters degree programs with strong reputations in either Middle East area studies or conflict resolution, neither the New School nor Herzliya comes to mind.  Doesn't mean they're bad programs, but if money is a concern to you,  you could find programs that offer what you want that are either cheaper or more likely to give you financial aid. 

I particularly like The New School's International Field Program and the option to work on a consultancy project with the UN, Human Rights Watch, etc. in lieu of a thesis. Furthermore, the class sizes are particularly small. In short, the program has a very strong professional focus - seemingly more so than the DC schools, from what I've seen.

Would you be so kind as to recommend some schools with strong reputations in Middle Eastern conflict/security?

I should note that I do not wish to pursue a degree in Middle Eastern Studies or something similar, which would geographically limit my career.

Edited by mranderson

Well, MPA/MPP/MIA type programs require students  to do internships over the summer.  And Georgetown, SAIS, American, GW, etc are very career oriented. One of the great things about going to those schools in fact is you can intern at institutions in DC while you're in school, so you can be building professional contacts and experience while you study.  New York is good for that as well, especially if you want to try to intern at the UN or other similar international organizations.  But if I had to pick a program that's strong in international security and regional studies in New York, the first that pops to mind is the MIA at SIPA.  

It seems like the goals and interests you've articulated so far are extremely broad.  You might benefit from taking some time off to work in the field before going to grad school.  That could give you a better sense of what the professional environment is like and help focus what you're looking for.  That in turn will give you a good sense of what the essential elements of your future grad program will be.  Also, many of the top programs like to see strong work experience before they'll accept you.  

It's kind of a broad interest, if only because the world of conflict and security jobs that center around the Middle East is itself quite broad.  You could focus on Israel/Palestine, focus on resource security, focus on human security/displacement, focus on Turkey, the Gulf, North Africa, and have any number of specific focuses within that.  You could work for the government, or for a nonprofit, or for a think tank. You could do analysis, public affairs, consulting.  Conflict resolution is itself a really broad field.   All I'm saying is that there are lots of roads you can take, and spending some time working in the related field can help narrow your thinking about what you want to do and which degree would most help you do that (and from which schools).  If you're a PCV, you already have a leg up on a lot of people looking for jobs in this field in DC especially, so it's a great time to assess your options. 

I have my own bias (a graduate of Tel Aviv University), but why IDC? Honestly, it's not as well known as the Israeli universities abroad, and less well-regarded domestically as well...why not try a program at one of the Israeli universities (Hebrew University, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Ben-Gurion, Bar-Ilan)? You'll get better name recognition, access to better faculty (especially if you can get your hebrew to a level that allows you to take classes in Hebrew) and probably a lower price as well...

a lot of schools in the US that do give financial aid even have exchange programs with Herzeliya, I know LBJ for one does so you can even do both and not pay at all.

I have my own bias (a graduate of Tel Aviv University), but why IDC? Honestly, it's not as well known as the Israeli universities abroad, and less well-regarded domestically as well...why not try a program at one of the Israeli universities (Hebrew University, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Ben-Gurion, Bar-Ilan)? You'll get better name recognition, access to better faculty (especially if you can get your hebrew to a level that allows you to take classes in Hebrew) and probably a lower price as well...

I was considering Tel Aviv University's MA in Security and Diplomacy, but I was told that IDC's program is more reputable. Additionally, TAU's program is more costly.

I am also interested in knowing how employers in the USA would perceive an Israeli diplomacy/conflict-related degree, if anyone has some insight. I am concerned because the country is so polarizing; I feel like people either love Israel or hate it. I would also hope that employers would not assume I'm biased due to my studies in Israel, but maybe that's an unrealistic hope...

Edited by mranderson

I was considering Tel Aviv University's MA in Security and Diplomacy, but I was told that IDC's program is more reputable. Additionally, TAU's program is more costly.

I am also interested in knowing how employers in the USA would perceive an Israeli diplomacy/conflict-related degree, if anyone has some insight. I am concerned because the country is so polarizing; I feel like people either love Israel or hate it. I would also hope that employers would not assume I'm biased due to my studies in Israel, but maybe that's an unrealistic hope...

told by who? again, i'm not trying to be dismissive, but locally IDC is known as the place rich kids from north Tel Aviv go to buy business and law undergraduate degrees. I'd be very wary of a graduate degree from a non-university institution in israel...