Re-applying to the same program?

structuralBio

So I didn't get in anywhere and will be re-applying next year. other than lowering my standards and applying to way more schools, I want to re-apply to one of the programs that I interviewed at and really liked. I've heard that committees don't like to see the same applicant twice and you shouldn't re-apply to the same program, because your rejection is even more likely the second time, is that true?

I don't think so. I reapplied to a school I got rejected from last year and got an interview this year (one step further than I got last year). However, if you got an interview and are reapplying I think you should only do so if you have improved your application (i.e. got much more research experience or have decided on a new research goal). Though truth be told, the only person who can really give you a yea or nay is the grad school itself. Don't be afraid to contact the admissions coordinator of that school and tell them that you were disappointed by the rejection but would like to reapply for the next admissions class.

I agree, I applied to the same school three times, was wait listed the second time, and accepted the third time. I second kimmibean's recommendation to improve your application before reapplying. The way I see it is that we obviously REALLY want to be there if we are going through the trouble of reapplying and working on our c.v. Good luck!