Has anyone made their final decision?

AudCSL

Anyone accepted an offer yet? What led you to your choice?

For those of us still narrowing it down, what has it come down to for you? 

Anyone still waiting to hear back from a school at this point?

I have narrowed it down to 4 schools and am hoping to get off a wait list for one school. Assuming I do not get off the wait list, my front runner is UT Dallas. While I absolutely loved the Chicago schools and the idea of attending an "elite" private school, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that taking out an extra 40-50 thousand dollars in loans is not a smart idea. UT-Dallas is a top program that gives ALL AuD students in-state tuition, which was a welcome surprise to me!! They also offer all students a 1000 dollar scholarship the first year, AND a job in the department about 10 hours a week either in a research lab, or they teach you to be a tech in the hearing aid clinic. Turning this down would be crazy right?? 

UTDallas sounds like an amazing choice! I'm of the mindset that cheaper>prestige, especially in this field. It's not like UTDallas is lacking in prestige, either :). Good luck in your decision!

• 2 weeks later...

UT Dallas is heavily geared toward the Au.D./Ph.D. track. So if you're not a big fan of research, you should probably evaluate your many options once more. Unless you have already completed the leveling courses required for the program you may have a difficult time there. UT Dallas isn't well known for nothing, they have no problem kicking out stragglers. I'd say only go for it if your heart is in it 100%.

Thank you Gorgatron and DeafAudi! I'm really glad to hear you say that because yesterday Rush offered a scholarship to bring down the cost, but in the end I decided to go with UT Dallas because of the AuD/PhD. I am interested in research and I like that they give you the option in the second year to declare that you want to do the dual track so that way you make sure it's what you really want, and have your research interests more squared away. 

I was also pretty concerned that my background would cause me to struggle in the program, being out of field. I talked to a few of the faculty members and they assured me the classes I've taken this year would be more than enough. I'm going to assume they would not tell me that if they didn't mean it since it would be worse for me to start and then drop the program. 

Congrats on your choice DeafAudi! 

Gorgatron - Have you made a decision yet?

I was accepted to my two programs on the same day, but my decision was already made by the end of the day. I'll be attending the University of British Columbia in Canada!

I'm headed to Vanderbilt! Choosing between programs was agonizing, but I'm very excited to have made my choice!

Hi there!  There's a couple of us in the SLP forum heading to Vanderbilt.  Since we'll be in the same department, perhaps you'd like to come join our

Cheers,

Matthew

I believe Boulder had ~96 applicants last year and ~120 this year. A little increase! I would hope someone wouldn't make their school choice based off where weed is legal, but you never know. Definitely not why I applied to CU! Plus, I already live in Colorado.

I had heard that for undergraduates there was a huge increase, that's why I was curious. How do you know how many applicants there were? Did you ask or did they supply that information in your acceptance.

Same here! This is my first time on this site, nice to meet a fellow classmate!  Are you planning on staying in the apartment complex?

I'm a bit late, but awesomeee! You're the first I've seen also going to CUNY. 

To answer your question, no - I'm living at home.

I'm a bit late, but awesomeee! You're the first I've seen also going to CUNY. 

To answer your question, no - I'm living at home.

That's alright! I only check here once a week anyways.  Oh! Did you get the thing about the blog for grad students at the school?  I tried to sign up, but the site said I need a code to sign up with a nonCUNY email address.  Know anything about this?