Thoughts on NYU Draper Master's

So, who got the email this morning from NYU offering 30% tuition scholarship for entering students into Draper MA program? From what I understand it to be, it's a money grab program correct? I wish they would have offered it with my rejection to NYU's PhD program instead. I'm all geared up for Chicago at this point, but NY is still very captivating, as I have always been in love with it since my first visit. Regardless, it's not an offer of admission, but an encouragement to apply, and I really don't want to spend the money on a program that is only worried about taking my money. 

So thoughts?

Anyone heard anything positive about the program? Honestly it sounds quite interesting.  

So, who got the email this morning from NYU offering 30% tuition scholarship for entering students into Draper MA program? From what I understand it to be, it's a money grab program correct? I wish they would have offered it with my rejection to NYU's PhD program instead. I'm all geared up for Chicago at this point, but NY is still very captivating, as I have always been in love with it since my first visit. Regardless, it's not an offer of admission, but an encouragement to apply, and I really don't want to spend the money on a program that is only worried about taking my money. 

So thoughts?

Anyone heard anything positive about the program? Honestly it sounds quite interesting.  

Draper is widely thought of as a cash-cow program, but after taking one of their courses and befriending many of their students, I have to say I was hugely impressed by the rigor of the classes and the quality of their cohort.  The Draper people I know are a lot smarter than most in my program, and generally they do a lot to help people with PhD applications and whatnot.  It is very similar to the program at Chicago, but a bit longer, so it is up to you.  If you have more questions feel free to PM me or I can try and connect you to one of my friends in the program. 

Hmm, I also got the email for the program. However, I already have Masters from the UK- so im not what would be the point for me to apply. However, the creating "your own degree" sounds great after getting so many rejections - maybe its marketing technique for rejects...hehe

I saw they stated that half of the students apply to PhD programs, and of that half, they have a 90% placement rate.  Interesting. The price is still a bit high, and it's two years with the offer of 30% off tuition only good for the first year, the second year its full price at $50k.  So $86k for the two years not including living expenses is tough to consider. Chicago is offering half tuition on a 1 year program.  Uggh. I thought I was set on Hyde Park for the fall, now I'm thinking, "well, there's a shot I could still be in NY?" Frustrating. I have already placed a housing deposit, although refundable, at Chicago. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I saw they stated that half of the students apply to PhD programs, and of that half, they have a 90% placement rate.  Interesting. The price is still a bit high, and it's two years with the offer of 30% off tuition only good for the first year, the second year its full price at $50k.  So $86k for the two years not including living expenses is tough to consider. Chicago is offering half tuition on a 1 year program.  Uggh. I thought I was set on Hyde Park for the fall, now I'm thinking, "well, there's a shot I could still be in NY?" Frustrating. I have already placed a housing deposit, although refundable, at Chicago. 

Thanks for the replies. 

As much as I love Draper, you're right regarding expenses.  Living in NYC is hugely expensive and there's no way around that fact.  I'd take the year at Chicago for half off.  There are way less opportunities for Draper students to fund their own studies (no TA/RA, for example) and some of the areas of study are larger and thus students have to fight harder for resources.  You can always apply to be in NY for the PhD after your MA from Chicago. 

wow, I'm not sure why Draper keeps popping into my head. Maybe I'm nervous about moving into a program that's not anthro specific. I'm beginning to be concerned with the Latin Studies Program and how far it will take me towards the ultimate goal of attaining the PhD in anthro. I know that Draper is not specific either, but at least there is a ton of wiggle room and extra time to develop a thesis. I'm getting nervous. :unsure:

wow, I'm not sure why Draper keeps popping into my head. Maybe I'm nervous about moving into a program that's not anthro specific. I'm beginning to be concerned with the Latin Studies Program and how far it will take me towards the ultimate goal of attaining the PhD in anthro. I know that Draper is not specific either, but at least there is a ton of wiggle room and extra time to develop a thesis. I'm getting nervous. :unsure:

Hm...at least as far as I know (only the STS people in Draper, I don't know any of the other subject groups) nobody applied to anthro.  Across what I can remember there were applications to rhetoric, sociology, history of science, history and philosophy.  On the other hand, I know someone in the 2013 anthro cohort at NYU that came out of the NYU Latin American/Caribbean MA, so make of that what you will.  Draper is technically headed by an anthropologist (Nagle) so that is a plus, but I think an area studies degree will probably go further for you. 

Hm...at least as far as I know (only the STS people in Draper, I don't know any of the other subject groups) nobody applied to anthro.  Across what I can remember there were applications to rhetoric, sociology, history of science, history and philosophy.  On the other hand, I know someone in the 2013 anthro cohort at NYU that came out of the NYU Latin American/Caribbean MA, so make of that what you will.  Draper is technically headed by an anthropologist (Nagle) so that is a plus, but I think an area studies degree will probably go further for you. 

Thanks NOWAYNOHOW, 

As much as the program intrigues me, I simply cannot afford it. As a matter of fact, I am mulling the possibility of staying at UCLA for another year and completing a double minor. It could also very well be that I am experiencing anxiety about the forthcoming changes and having second thoughts on the actual worth of attaining an MA outside of the anthro specific field. The problem I see would be that reapplying for PhD programs this fall will likely present the same outcome as this season, as not much by way of application strengthening has occurred. I don't know, I'm sure I will be going to Chicago, I am just getting cold feet. 

Hi all,

I'm a graduating Draper student starting a PhD this fall. Just posted this overview of the program before I saw this thread. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Great write up! It was exactly what I was looking for! Congrats on your PhD acceptances as well!