Moving issues

I'm not an international student, but I've been living overseas for several years now and am faced with having to move my boyfriend and my dog back to the States. Luckily, neither the boyfriend nor the dog will have residency issues. However, I am spending a lot of money slowboating all the books, CDs, and various other media I have accumulated over the years. It's about $80USD for each 20kg box. The two of us had about a dozen boxes, the last time we moved. Of course, as a future academic, every one of those pieces is like gold to me... they MUST come.

I'm donating bags of clothing to charity, selling off furniture and electronic appliances, and wishing I had lived a more monk-like existence. Boyfriend is donating musical instruments to the alcoholic street musician who lives in our apartment building.

I hate moving.

Guest Cridamour

When I moved out of my parents' place two years ago, I was anticipating to stay in my home country for another year and then move to the US. In the end, it became two years, but, to the frustration of my boyfriend, I've really tried not to buy anything that wasn't really necessary. We've rented a furnished apartment and I'm also in the midst of getting a new, lighter laptop and selling my old one, selling the printer, giving away clothes that are not worth taking, but the worst thing indeed are the books! I really don't want to sell any and save them for when I'm a wealthy professor ( :D ) and have a fabulous library in my house...

On top of that, there's the administration of closing bank accounts, opening new ones, changing official residence, getting a visa, etc. Luckily, I've still got some months to take care of that!

Guest daphna

Well, most of the things will stay here. We'll either rent some storage space or close off a closet/room in our apartment (which will be rented out) and leave the vast majority of books etc. here.

We don't have that many clothes and anyway they aren't really made for Rhode Island weather, so we'll probably just take the ones that are in good condition, and buy new ones there. Same for things like bed linens etc. My laptop will of course go with us (but it's tiny, so not a problem). We will probably mail a couple of boxes with professional books, some valued personal items and things like that.

Other than that, pretty much everything will either be donated to charity, given to family members, or left in the apartment for the renters to use. I'm pretty much assuming that most of the household items we now own will anyway not really be our taste in 6 years or so when we come back.

We've known we will probably leave for a few years now, so we furnished our apartment with that in mind and bought nice buy cheap furniture. Ever since we got the acceptance letter we have also completely avoided buying anything for the house, so we wouldn't need to take it with us.

But it is certainly quite daunting to have to organize all this.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm about to move to the US for the PhD (estimated 5/6 years) and I too would like to "bring my house with me". Do any of you have any prior experiences with transatlantic movings?

I can pack "enough" clothes and footwear in the allowed 2 bags, and my laptop and random accessories as carry-on items, but how about everything else? Should I just forget about it and buy stuff as needed in the US? Won't that be a problem upon coming back?

Is there any cheap way to ship a container or at least a few large and heavy boxes? Traditional postal and UPS/FedEX/etc. services are way too expensive.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I'm currently in Porto, Portugal and shall move to Baltimore, MD.

Yeah... the slow boat is how I moved back from Oxford. It takes forever, but it is worth it, considering you pay about 1/3 or the unimaginable cost of shipping (necessary) books via airmail/parcel service.

Edit: by forever, I mean it took about 6 months to get my crate of books in Minnesota. That, from what I'm told, is longer than usual, but you're not supposed to expect your package for 4 months or so. Keep that in mind, when transporting necessities.

Hey Minnesotan!

Which boat shipping company/service did you use?? Did you have to bring your crates of stuff to the port, or did they pick it up right from your house? Thanks!

Hey Minnesotan!

Which boat shipping company/service did you use?? Did you have to bring your crates of stuff to the port, or did they pick it up right from your house? Thanks!

I'd also like to know which companies/services to look out for. Last time I was in the US I had to pay about $150 for excess luggage on the return flight, and that's only for a 25kg suitcase :P

If at all possible, I'd prefer to pack my own stuff into a few boxes (25kg/50lb each) and then have them picked up at my original house @ Europe and delivered to the destination house in the US (when they arrive I'll be there already). Pretty much like regular mail services, except for heavier cargo.

I'm glad I won't be moving furniture...