***HELP*** Which Social Work concentration should I stick with? Casework, Group Work, Admin...

I know that this question depends on a person's personal convictions and interests, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts. Please let me know your experiences with whichever concentration you are studying. How has it helped you in the work field?

Edited by Aurora Jane

Be interested to see what folks have to say.  My school has a generalist concentration, but you can choose electives to concentrate in whichever area you choose.  I'm finding myself interested in the clinical side, but I would like to learn a  lot more.

I am planning on going the clinical route because I love working with clients on an individual level, but eventually I do want to get into macro policy work. I have heard that going clinical is probably the best option if you like both macro and micro, because you need the clinical skills as a base skill set regardless. However, please feel free to disagree with me! :)

From my experiences and what I've gathered from other people in the field of social work and social services, there are certain aspects of our work that just can't be taught in class, through theory and publications but can only be gained through practice. With that said, I think that getting experience working with individuals one-on-one, whether it be through individual therapy, group settings, or case management, is the most educational and effective way to prepare you for whatever you see yourself doing in 5-10 years. If you want to get in the macro or policy side, you would have had experience working with the populations and people that you are creating a policy for-- do you see what I mean?

I hope this makes sense but I personally think that the value that a social worker gains working in the field, working in the trenches is something you can replace with a course or book. 

Hope this helps you a little! Good luck.

I am planning on going the clinical route because I love working with clients on an individual level, but eventually I do want to get into macro policy work. I have heard that going clinical is probably the best option if you like both macro and micro, because you need the clinical skills as a base skill set regardless. However, please feel free to disagree with me! :)

Thank you for your comment. Most people have expressed these same ideas. Clinical skills serve as a great foundation for future exploration in the field, whether it be more of an individual approach or group based. 

From my experiences and what I've gathered from other people in the field of social work and social services, there are certain aspects of our work that just can't be taught in class, through theory and publications but can only be gained through practice. With that said, I think that getting experience working with individuals one-on-one, whether it be through individual therapy, group settings, or case management, is the most educational and effective way to prepare you for whatever you see yourself doing in 5-10 years. If you want to get in the macro or policy side, you would have had experience working with the populations and people that you are creating a policy for-- do you see what I mean?

I hope this makes sense but I personally think that the value that a social worker gains working in the field, working in the trenches is something you can replace with a course or book. 

Hope this helps you a little! Good luck.

Yes, I completely agree. If I get into this master's program I will be going into a completely different field. I need the experience along with the theory. I am a  "hands on" learner and I think that I will benefit greatly from my 560 hours of required field placement. 

I don't see anything to disagree with! Thank you so much for your comment! 

Be interested to see what folks have to say.  My school has a generalist concentration, but you can choose electives to concentrate in whichever area you choose.  I'm finding myself interested in the clinical side, but I would like to learn a  lot more.

See I wish that UCONN's MSW program had a general concentration! I chose to concentrate on Group Work. I've submitted my application months ago, but I am kind of wavering towards Casework now...