Nonresponses contribute to my unbridled rage!!

Guest Squirrely

That's what I've been doing. It's worked for everyone but UMass. They're just rude in that office. They finally sent over a mass e-mail to me and 44 other people telling us that we're on the waitlist. When I e-mailed to ask where I was positioned on the list, I received no response.

Mass e-mailing about waitlist? darn, that saved the person who is encharged of notifying a lot of time and and calories spent on key stroking.

That's quite inelegant.

I emailed today and 10 mins after I got a reply. I got accepted!

They wrote that my decision letter was sent march 19th. However, the program administrator was kind enough to attach a pdf version of the letter with the email.

It doesn't mention any financial aid though.. I guess I didn't get it :( I always thought that I was so lucky to be debt free, I guess my luck just ran out.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone heard from the Cornell or Ohio State art departments? I'm getting pretty crazy waiting for emails or letters to arrive. It's almost April! Should I take this silence as a rejection?

Also, my rejection letter from Syracuse apparently got lost in the mail. They sent me back my slides with no letter, at which point I called the grad office and confirmed the rejection, though the secretary said that they had sent the letters out the week prior. Why do so many grad offices insit on using snail mail?!Things get lost in the mail, and they only add to my INCREASING CRAZY!!!!!! (Crazy is a noun now.) This is MY LIFE AND FUTURE we're dealing with!

I agree, snail mail is frustrating. I received a rejection letter from U Illinois-Chicago dated March 15, and it didn't arrive in the mail until today! Luckily, I had already seen my status online, so it was no shock. Still, I don't understand why they insist on prolonging our agony. Maybe its because letters are personal enough to be polite, but distant, while emails are much more personal? I think I would just rather know my status than have to deal with the "polite" "we received more qualified applicants than we expected" response. It's like a band-aid...the sooner you pull it off and get it over with, the less it stings.

Waiting for two of my top schools' admission decision has slowly drained my energy. And my humanity. I have smiled less, stared at the wicked computer more, and became a paranoid. I started to think that I would join one of those groups where people sit in circles and say... "Hi... I have a tremendous hatred toward graduate admission officers."

I hope I'm not losing my patience, hope, as well as my sanity.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard from UCSD a couple of days ago with a rejection (I expect this). I still haven't heard from Brown University... isn't that ridiculous?

I applied to Brown's CS masters program in the beginning of March (as a backup since I hadn't heard from any PhD programs yet), and I've already heard back with an acceptance. Though I think they have a completely different process for the PhD program. I've since decided to go to UCSB's PhD program, but I was actually surprised at how fast Brown got back to me. Still no word from USC, however.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use