Getting a Master's degree in a language if you didn't major/minor in it?

stephenk23

My degree is in English. I'd like to get an MA and eventual PhD in French. I did not major or minor in French in university and the only French class I took in university was Intermediate French II, which I placed into after spending a summer abroad in Quebec and studying at a language center.. However, after graduation, I lived and worked in France for 8 months as an English assistant and I studied French intensively while there, during my immense amount of time off. In France, I took and passed the Diplôme Approfondi de la Langue Française at C1 (full professional proficiency) level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale. I have a certificate proving this issued by the the Ministère de l'Éducation nationale, de l'enseignement supérieur et de la recherche. Given that the only bracket higher than that is C2 (Complete mastery akin to native-level French), would I still be considered at any program even though the only French class reflected on my transcripts is one intermediate level class in which I made an A?

Edited by stephenk23

Hello,

Yes you can definitely make a case for it in your application. Most students (american) are probably at that level or B2 when they enter MA in French. It might be a bit harder to get into PhD. But you will need to have a french writing sample- about 10 pages on a literature topic.

I don't know if you might have an opportunity to go back to France, but a Master's in French in France would definitely be good as well. And much cheaper!

If you cannot, apply to MA here and research programs because there are many that will give you financial support and maybe even give you a TA job.

I am in such a program now. If you have any questions you can PM me as well.

• 2 months later...

I don't see why not.  I have only researched Spanish, but in my research the universities purposefully stated the requirement of a bachelor's degree to enter the program (no specific subject required).  But what's all this B2, C1 stuff?  I would expect a person with 4-5 years of university language study to be C2.

Yikes, I need to read a little more carefully.  C1 in a year is quite an achievement.  Are French students from the US really only B2 after 4-5 years of study?

• 2 months later...

Hello to you! I don't know if you are still looking for answers to this; I just stumbled back onto The Grad Cafe after two years.

Anyway, I am in a MA program for French, so perhaps I can answer a few questions for you. I took French through AP in high school AND did an honors BA in French, and my framework score is also a C1. Congratulations to you on your fantastic accomplishment! As far as proficiency, I think you're more than capable of doing well in a graduate program (I don't know for sure, but I'd estimate that all the other students in my program are also C1s). One thing I would advise is to be well-read on literature and history. This is something I was NOT prepared for (even with my 7 years of formal study, which was mostly formal grammar, phonetics and culture), and I have found it to be my greatest challenge thus far. This, of course, depends on your program. You'll want to look into the focus/foci of your program and be sure you're able to keep up with the material.

TL;DR: On a simple question of proficiency, I imagine they would have no issue accepting you. Whether or not they're looking for an applicant with previous French literature/linguistics (etc) coursework is the question.

Bon courage!