Can a DUI affect getting a field placement?

cylk123

Hi all,

New to this forum here and I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I got a misdemeanor DUI a few years ago and was wondering if that will affect my ability to get a field placement. I know continuation/completion of any program is contingent on field placement and I'm worried that my background check will cause potential placements to turn me down.

Thanks!

I think your best bet would be to talk with the field advisors directly. They would be able to answer your question the best way. From going to information sessions, many faculty/admissions have told us that having something on your record doesn't necessarily keep you from being placed for field work. However, it can make it more difficult to be placed in certain agencies. I'm sure if you are upfront and honest with the field faculty from the beginning as you are right now with us, that they would try their best to work with agencies to place you! :)

You also might want to investigate the licensing regulations in your state. Even if the school/fieldwork requirements are satisfied, it would be unfortunate to complete two years of study only to discover you were unable to practice due to the arrest. However, I'm pretty sure you're not the first potential MSW student to pursue a degree following a DUI, so there should be a good deal of information (and guidance) on the topic. Good luck with your studies.