SLP Post-Bacc Programs

Hey everyone,

There were some helpful past posts on this subject on the forum and they have been super helpful to me in making the decision to switch from my current job (working in film production) to SLP.

I wanted to start a new one to see whether there were any other people here going through this process currently so we could share experiences and stories. I applied to the program at CSUN and CSULA and am feeling a little anxious about whether or not I will get in. I spoke with a great admissions rep at CSULA a couple of weeks ago who basically said they just calculate the GPAs of the applications and start offering admission from the top of the list until they fill the 30 spots (he said last year about 300 applied). I have a 3.86 from my undergrad degree but I know everything SLP related is super competitive. 

I started volunteering at an SLP org a couple of months ago and the more I grow to love the work I do there the more I grow to resent my current job so I'm really, really banking on getting into one of these two programs. Just the lack of information has made me all anxious!

Any others in the post-bacc boat?

You should be fine! I know people who got into the CSULA post-bacc program last year with lower GPAs. I'll PM you with information. This is a great field and I'm happy for you. I also made the jump and I could not be happier with my decision  :wub:

I am definitely in a similar situation! I'm making a career change after discovering the field of SLP through my current fundraising job at a non-profit. After talking to some SLPs and reading this forum extensively, I've come to the conclusion that I am ready to make the switch and have a career that's more hands-on! It is mildly terrifying though to make such a drastic change. So stressful!

I kinda came late to the post-bacc cycle this year, so I've applied to only two programs, CSULA and CSU Long Beach. Still waiting anxiously to hear, of course. 

Thanks for sharing more about your experience with CSULA, Deerye525.  I guess it's good to know ahead of time how competitive even the post-bacc programs in SLP are! Yikes! And Nala, if you have any further info on CSULA's program, I'd love your input!

I am definitely in a similar situation! I'm making a career change after discovering the field of SLP through my current fundraising job at a non-profit. After talking to some SLPs and reading this forum extensively, I've come to the conclusion that I am ready to make the switch and have a career that's more hands-on! It is mildly terrifying though to make such a drastic change. So stressful!

I kinda came late to the post-bacc cycle this year, so I've applied to only two programs, CSULA and CSU Long Beach. Still waiting anxiously to hear, of course. 

Thanks for sharing more about your experience with CSULA, Deerye525.  I guess it's good to know ahead of time how competitive even the post-bacc programs in SLP are! Yikes! And Nala, if you have any further info on CSULA's program, I'd love your input!

Check your messages! 

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I just found this site and have been referring back to last year's discussions, but it's nice to hear about what people are doing right now.

I applied to the post-bacc programs at CSULA, CSULB, Chapman, and Wisconsin-Madison. So far I was accepted to Madison, have an interview this week at Chapman, and haven't heard from either state school. I have to let Madison know my decision by May 1, so I'm trying to weigh all potential options even though I haven't yet heard from the other schools. If anyone knows anything about the pros/cons of those four programs I'd love to hear it! I've done some research myself but I'm fairly new to SLP so I'm not so aware of each school's reputations in the field. 

Any perspective would be welcome! Thanks.

I'm so glad to find others in the same situation as myself! I was so hungry for more information and already this thread has helped tremendously. 

I too was getting a little tired reading through all the old posts for information from years ago. Speaking of information from years ago, it seems that people mentioned finding out about the CSU schools in May. If I'm remembering right, when I spoke with CSULA, they said June, but I suspect they may have just been over-estimating to be on the safe side. I don't even think the application deadline has officially passed, so letting UW-Madison know before might be tricky! 

We will all have to let each other know once we start hearing back from them!

It's so nerve-wracking to wait for decisions! I've given up on hearing from CSULA before May, it seems like they notify really late. I do remember reading on some old threads that people heard from CSULB as early as this week last year. I hope that's true. Fingers crossed for all of us! I'll post if I hear anything. And again if anyone has info about the post-bacc programs at Chapman, CSULB, or Wisconsin-Madison I would really appreciate it!

Edited by madomae

I know--it is comforting to know that others are in the same position and we are able to exchange info/share stories! Thank you!!

I looked up the application deadline for CSULA and its REALLY late...April 26 or something, so that probably explains why they make their decisions late in the season. I do expect CSULB's decision to come back soon...but it feels like its not soon enough!!

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else. 

I just graduated undergrad in December with a BA in psychology and only had one SLP pre-req under my belt. My undergrad did not offer any comm. disorders courses, but I liked the school and still loved psychology so I stayed. I am currently taking two online SLP prerequisites during my free semester and plan to take more. However, I tried my luck and applied to grad programs in the fall anyway because a lot of programs seems to appreciate diversity. I haven't been accepted anywhere, though, and my other stats are pretty average compared to everyone else. So basically, my advice would be to take as many pre-reqs as possible before you apply so that they don't have a reason to second-guess your capabilities. I had a semester-long internship with an SLP in a school and she even wrote me a LOR, but if you don't have the courses to back up the intent, it may not get you anywhere! Just my experience. 

@deerye525- I realize that you have already applied and are awaiting admission. I sincerely hope that a school gives you the opportunity! My advice about not applying was directed toward others who are deciding what to do about post-bacc courses. Just wanted to make that clearer! Best of luck to you!

Okay, I have a (disappointing) update for Long Beach applicants. Since I'm in town for another interview I decided to stop by CSULB's information session this evening. The grad student who led the session told me they're running behind schedule on reviewing applications and we probably won't hear about post-bacc decisions until the end of April. Such a bummer! I was really hoping we'd know by the end of the week. Anyway I thought you guys might want to know! 

All that said, the grad student was great and the session was very helpful. Now back to the waiting game...

I gave the online programs some serious thought but in the end I really wanted to have the classroom experience. It's just better for the way I personally learn. But I've heard great things about Utah State's online program.

I should also clarify that my undergrad degree is a BFA in Acting so I have considerable catching up to do on the math/science front. I was nervous to do that online, for sure! Math has never been my strength.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as most of you, waiting (desperately) to hear from all the post-bacc programs I applied to (Chapman, CSULB, CSUF). I got rejected from  the grad programs at U Pacific and SJSU (both of which have extended graduate programs for out-of-field applicants). I interviewed at Chapman 2 weeks ago, and it went really well. They said I'd hear back FOR SURE by the end of April...but haven't heard a thing. Fingers crossed. Any second year applicants here? I am debating whether to apply again next year...

I am applying as out of field for the first time this fall, and I'm seriously looking at Portland State/UO. They apparently take everyone who applies, and it's not too late to apply for this fall!

Hello all- I am in the certificate program at CSULA and applied for the masters here, CSULA, CSUN, CSULB (special cohort), and NOVA distance program. I interviewed at CSULA in March and was notified by end oh March that I was waitlisted. They already have made decisions as of April 14. CSUN notified me mid April that I was rejected :(. CSULB traditional program made decisions as well. BUT, Their special cohort program has not, they extendended applications til June 1st, however they contacted me for an interview last week!!!!! My interview is on Thursday. My last chance! They sent 2 articles for me to review and "be prepared to discuss". Super nervous!

You should be fine! I know people who got into the CSULA post-bacc program last year with lower GPAs. I'll PM you with information. This is a great field and I'm happy for you. I also made the jump and I could not be happier with my decision :wub:

Would you mind sending me some info too? I don't have as high of a GPA but I have lots of experience :( so I'm wondering what my chances are.

I've decided to commit to UW Madison! I was wait listed at Chapman (letters were sent yesterday) and CSULB and CSULA won't notify me in time for Madison's May 1 deadline. I badly wanted to return home to California but I'm really excited about going to Madison. If anyone knows anything about the post-bacc program there, or Madison in general, please message me! 

Best of luck to everyone, and keep posting! It's great to hear about your experiences. 

Hi guys,

I just found out yesterday I got into chapman and csuf earlier. Still waiting to hear from csulb but I called them yesterday and they said they still haven't made any decisions and it will be a couple more weeks. Does anyone know whether csuf is impacted and hard to get classes? They are impossible to get anyone on the phone. Also I don't know if Fullerton is evening or night time classes? Since they seem so unorganized I am leaning toward chapman because I love how chapman seems to really help you through the process. However, they are expensive. Anyone have any advice for me or get into these programs?

Stats

3.2 undergrad psychology GPA

3.7 last 60 units

2 years experience working as a behavioral therapist