SLP Post-Bacc Programs

Hi guys,

I just found out yesterday I got into chapman and csuf earlier. Still waiting to hear from csulb but I called them yesterday and they said they still haven't made any decisions and it will be a couple more weeks. Does anyone know whether csuf is impacted and hard to get classes? They are impossible to get anyone on the phone. Also I don't know if Fullerton is evening or night time classes? Since they seem so unorganized I am leaning toward chapman because I love how chapman seems to really help you through the process. However, they are expensive. Anyone have any advice for me or get into these programs?

Stats

3.2 undergrad psychology GPA

3.7 last 60 units

2 years experience working as a behavioral therapist

I don't have any insight about chapman or csuf, but I do know that CSULB should notify you soon (I think I received my acceptance around the mid-April, but maybe they're taking longer this year). CSULB is 3 semesters long, with classes meeting Monday through Thursday from 5-7:45pm. You are definitely guaranteed classes because you only take courses with your cohort (not with undergrads). There's only about 40-ish people per cohort, and everyone takes classes in the same sequence.

One important thing to note about LB: if you intend to apply to their master's program for the following fall (2015), they tend to give priority to undergraduates and postbaccs who have taken at LEAST 36 units of CD coursework by the time they submit their application. They will consider your application, but typically students come in with more classes completed by the time they apply. 

The classes themselves are challenging, but not unbearable. You have the opportunity to complete your 25 clinical observation hours ONLINE via a website called Master Clinician. There are so many students (undergrads, postbaccs, and graduate students) that they can't possibly fit everyone in the clinic rooms at the same time. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

I don't have any insight about chapman or csuf, but I do know that CSULB should notify you soon (I think I received my acceptance around the mid-April, but maybe they're taking longer this year). CSULB is 3 semesters long, with classes meeting Monday through Thursday from 5-7:45pm. You are definitely guaranteed classes because you only take courses with your cohort (not with undergrads). There's only about 40-ish people per cohort, and everyone takes classes in the same sequence.

One important thing to note about LB: if you intend to apply to their master's program for the following fall (2015), they tend to give priority to undergraduates and postbaccs who have taken at LEAST 36 units of CD coursework by the time they submit their application. They will consider your application, but typically students come in with more classes completed by the time they apply.

The classes themselves are challenging, but not unbearable. You have the opportunity to complete your 25 clinical observation hours ONLINE via a website called Master Clinician. There are so many students (undergrads, postbaccs, and graduate students) that they can't possibly fit everyone in the clinic rooms at the same time.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much! That was really helpful! Do you mind telling me what your stats were going into the post-bacc program? I'm trying to decide if I have a chance or should just give up because I have to give chapman a deposit soon and csulb is saying they are behind schedule and will be a few more weeks.

Edited by Molz

Thank you so much! That was really helpful! Do you mind telling me what your stats were going into the post-bacc program? I'm trying to decide if I have a chance or should just give up because I have to give chapman a deposit soon and csulb is saying they are behind schedule and will be a few more weeks.

No problem! I'm glad to be of some help to you :) my stats: 3.5 overall, 3.7 in last 60 units (I took some courses early in undergraduate that I realized were NOT for me...). Prior to LB, I had some observation experience with private practice SLP's, had worked as a summer camp counselor for 7 years, worked as a writing tutor for both elementary school kids and undergraduate students. I think you'll be fine! Some of my friends have a few years of behavioral therapist experience, which will definitely boost your application. 

I accepted my spot at LB over a spot at Washington (for post-bacc last year) due to money. In the end, you'll get the same pre-requisites so I'd recommend saving your money for graduate school, if possible. If you're willing to put down the deposit and wait for LB to save money, I'd say go for it! But definitely keep in mind what I mentioned about applying to LB's grad program--they informed us that they recommend you apply (to their program) after you've completed all of your classes to give yourself an edge. Don't be discouraged though: there are many other Grad programs that will accept you with fewer than 36 units of CD work completed (but definitely look at their websites first!!!!!!)

And keep up your behavioral aide experience, maybe try some different settings and write a kick-ass statement, and you'll be okay! Apply outside of CA to ensure yourself a spot (CA is INSANELY competitive and tend to favor their own undergrads because they're familiar.). I'm going to graduate school outside of CA because of this!

Thank you! You have been so helpful! Where did you end up deciding to go to grad? How hard is it to maintain a good GPA in the post-bacc program? I'm telling myself I HAVE to get a 4.0 in the program but I know these classes are going to be much harder then what I'm used to and four classes at a time is a lot.

Thank you! You have been so helpful! Where did you end up deciding to go to grad? How hard is it to maintain a good GPA in the post-bacc program? I'm telling myself I HAVE to get a 4.0 in the program but I know these classes are going to be much harder then what I'm used to and four classes at a time is a lot.

Sent you a personal message :)

Molz, on 30 Apr 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:snapback.png

Hi guys,
I just found out yesterday I got into chapman and csuf earlier. Still waiting to hear from csulb but I called them yesterday and they said they still haven't made any decisions and it will be a couple more weeks. Does anyone know whether csuf is impacted and hard to get classes? They are impossible to get anyone on the phone. Also I don't know if Fullerton is evening or night time classes? Since they seem so unorganized I am leaning toward chapman because I love how chapman seems to really help you through the process. However, they are expensive. Anyone have any advice for me or get into these programs?

Stats
3.2 undergrad psychology GPA
3.7 last 60 units
2 years experience working as a behavioral therapist

Hi! I've actually completed my post-bac program at Chapman and had a good experience there.  It was super intense since it was an accelerated program.  I don't recommend doing an accelerated program because the materials that are to be covered in the allotted time was overwhelming.  However, it is do-able.  I worked full time and basically gave up my life for 10 months and managed to get a 4.0.   I can provide more specifics if you want to send me a message.  I really enjoyed most of my professors and they were great instructors (who gave me excellent LORs).  I felt like I learned a lot since I was an out of field major as well.  I finished my post bacc program back in the fall. There was actually one girl who was in my program who was in the CSUF post bac program and then dropped out and transferred to Chapman's.  She said it was really impacted (at CSUF) and after one year, she couldn't wait any longer.  

However to give you some tips for future reference when you're actually applying to graduate programs.  The thing I really don't like about Chapman is that the CD graduate department are not affiliated with the CD post bac program and they emphasize this (after the fact! which was very frustrating).  I got in to CSUF graduate program for fall 2014 and my other good friend (also from Chapman's post-bach program) got into CSUF (spring 2014).  She said that a lot of students from CSUF post-bach program was accepted into their graduate program (28 postbach students). However, I cannot say Chapman's post bac students get the same treatment.  To my knowledge, only 3 students (out of 25 postbach) got into their graduate program.  I will not attend Chapman or CSUF in the fall as I got into my #1 choice, SFSU.

{post bac programs: csulb, csuf, csula}

Prior getting into Chapman, I was rejected from these schools.  

{life after post-bac}

For the fall of 2014,   I applied to 7 graduate programs, got waitlisted at 1, accepted at 3 (top choices) , rejected at 3 (back-up programs).  

If I can give you any other advice is that keep your eye on the 4.0 and stay within the ABA field.  I studied day and night and didn't sleep a lot because I was determined on getting that 4.0.  My GRE scores were not stellar but not bad either.  

My stats are:

3.2 in my last 60 units (before post bac) -Psych. major

after post bac 3.68

4.0 in major

5 years of experience ABA

BcABA coursework (1 year)

bilingual

1 year research experience (under grad)

1 year teaching abroad experience

Good luck! 

Edited by capheslp

Hey guys,

So I'm an English major from UCLA with a 3.38 GPA (hoping to raise it to a 3.4 by graduation), and a vast amount of experience with kids (Big Brothers Big Sisters, tutoring, preschool teaching) who wants to get in speech pathology. I applied to Chapman, CSULA, and CSULB's post-bacc programs. Much to my dismay, I got rejected from Chapman recently, and I think it may have been a result of lacking shadowing experience, which they seemed to emphasize in the interview. However, in the short amount of time I had, I couldn't find anyone to shadow. Does anyone know if the latter two cal states I applied to look for shadowing experience in their post-bacc apps as well? And are my GPA and experiences decent enough, and/or are there ways to strengthen them?

I'm just feeling let down at the moment. I really want to get into this field, but the rejection has been a major slap in the face.

Hello everyone,

What about for people who have lower GPAs? My undergrad GPA was a 2.9 but I'm taking Post-Bac classes and trying to get As. Does anyone have suggestions on schools I can possibly get into or what to do?

Hey guys,

So I'm an English major from UCLA with a 3.38 GPA (hoping to raise it to a 3.4 by graduation), and a vast amount of experience with kids (Big Brothers Big Sisters, tutoring, preschool teaching) who wants to get in speech pathology. I applied to Chapman, CSULA, and CSULB's post-bacc programs. Much to my dismay, I got rejected from Chapman recently, and I think it may have been a result of lacking shadowing experience, which they seemed to emphasize in the interview. However, in the short amount of time I had, I couldn't find anyone to shadow. Does anyone know if the latter two cal states I applied to look for shadowing experience in their post-bacc apps as well? And are my GPA and experiences decent enough, and/or are there ways to strengthen them?

I'm just feeling let down at the moment. I really want to get into this field, but the rejection has been a major slap in the face.

I think the state schools are more concerned about the last 60 units of GPA then Chapman, what is your GPA for that?

Oops I guess I forgot to mention that I was a transfer. My GPA for the last 60 units was 3.38, and my community college GPA was 3.85.

Do cal states then care more about grades than experiences?

From my understanding they do. Csulb looks at experience too I believe but not as much as chapman.

I think it's mostly based on GPA. Didn't LB only require a 1 pg. letter of intent? That's all that I submitted with my application. CSULA was the same way too because all they asked was for transcripts. They need to start telling us whether we're admitted or not..

snapback.png

Hey guys,

Hi fellow Bruin (I graduated '08). Your GPA is actually pretty decent for Chapman and may not be as competitive for the cal states.  I applied with a 3.2 in my last 60 units and got into Chapman but got rejected at all the cal states.  Although I think what really helped is that my work has been in the autism field and I had my LOR from a Speech Language Pathologist.  They do want to see that you've shadowed or have some volunteer experience related to the field.  I highly suggest you try to get some volunteer work that will allow you hands on observation with an SLP.   I know a girl from my cohort who had gotten her experience here:

http://pshc.org/contact-us.html

They're always looking for volunteers.  Just email them your interest.

If you need to work, try getting jobs at a school and that will allow you plenty of opportunities to overlap/meet with an SLP.  Since you're still at UCLA, go see if you can get some experience at the UCLA Lab school (http://www.labschool.ucla.edu/about/)   right next to the (MBA) business building.  There's an SLP at every school site.  

Don't give up.  I've been trying to break in the SLP field for the past 3 years.  I got rejejected my first year applying to post bacs.  I used my year off taking classess at community college to raise my GPA.  I took ASL and other developmental courses I felt would benefit me in the field.  Make sure you have your statistics, biology, and chemistry courses completed.    I got in my second year applying.  I completed my post bac program this past fall and now I'm about to start a graduate program this coming fall.  Don't loose hope!  You have to keep trying and use the year you have "off" productively prior to applying again. 

Best of luck! 

Edited by capheslp

Wow, thank you so much for your input! It's really helpful to hear from someone in a similar situation as myself. I'll still have my fingers crossed for the two cal states, but I feel a little better overall if things don't go as planned. Thank you also for those resources, I'll definitely check them out!

I just called CSULA and the woman I spoke with said they would start sending out emails the second and third week of May! Isn't the second week this week? :o She also said if we don't receive an email during that time period, we can call the first week of June. They'll have a list of names of those that were supposed to have received an email. Lastly, if we get an email (which might be in our spam folder) we're supposed to reply back by a certain date. Time to get anxious!

I just called CSULA and the woman I spoke with said they would start sending out emails the second and third week of May! Isn't the second week this week? :o She also said if we don't receive an email during that time period, we can call the first week of June. They'll have a list of names of those that were supposed to have received an email. Lastly, if we get an email (which might be in our spam folder) we're supposed to reply back by a certain date. Time to get anxious!

Thanks for the info! Has anyone talked to CSULB recently about when we will be hearing? I feel like I've called too many times

I just heard from CSULB right now! They are apparently changing their program to a 4 semester program (Fall, Spring, Summer, and Fall) starting this fall! First I have heard of it. They sent out an letter asking if I wanted to move forward in the application process. They want a decision by next Friday.

It seems so strange that they are making such drastic changes to the program this late in the application process!

I just heard from CSULB right now! They are apparently changing their program to a 4 semester program (Fall, Spring, Summer, and Fall) starting this fall! First I have heard of it. They sent out an letter asking if I wanted to move forward in the application process. They want a decision by next Friday.

It seems so strange that they are making such drastic changes to the program this late in the application process!

I just got the email too! Seriously had a mini heart attack. Haha. I least they emailed us.

I just saw that too! seriously wouldn't they have thought of this before everyone applied?? I kind of don't mind the changes though because I planned on taking a year off to work as an SLPA but does this mean we won't be getting a decision until well after may 15th? I have a deposit due at another school on this coming monday!

I just saw that too! seriously wouldn't they have thought of this before everyone applied?? I kind of don't mind the changes though because I planned on taking a year off to work as an SLPA but does this mean we won't be getting a decision until well after may 15th? I have a deposit due at another school on this coming monday!

That's sure what it seems like! Unless they already have a list of people they like and are just going to be seeing who responds. Unless they have been spending all their time on this instead of reviewing applications.

Did anyone check their status on the eagle sign in for csula? Mine switches from complete to incomplete for some reason, but I called last month and they said it could switch because they're still reviewing apps. I'm guessing we could check here to see if we accepted or not. :(

How do you guys feel about the changes CSULB made to their program?

How do you guys feel about the changes CSULB made to their program?

Seems like it would be good if you were looking for a job as a SLPA but I would be upset about delaying an MA program another year.

I'd like to know why they are doing it right now, instead of for the following year. 

Edited by S_Cybelle

Why would you have to retake courses? I'm not happy about delaying the MA program either. Although I can see how that will help our chances of getting into a MA program if we have all the classes completed when we apply. I don't understand why we need to take those extra two classes when other programs don't require them though. It is also going to cost more now. And it is definitely confusing that they are doing all this so last minute! They are my first choice but I feel like they need to explain a lot now!