How does "transferring" work?

I'm a first-year in a T-10 PhD program. A couple weeks ago, I learned of some fairly serious, long-term medical issues in my family and, as a result, I'd like to live closer to home. There is a T-40 school in my hometown that's a good fit with my research interests. How does "transferring" work? Do transfers always formally apply along with the other applicants? In other words, did I miss the boat for next year or are there other admission processes for transfer students?

(Note: I do know that "transferring" PhD programs isn't the same as transferring in undergrad and that I'd likely have to repeat most of this year's coursework. In this situation it seems worth it.)

I'm not sure who to talk to about this since I do not have strong relationships with any faculty members yet and, quite frankly, it's a very personal matter. I appreciate any advice that folks can offer.

Does your advisor know the person? I think your advisor would be pretty sympathetic to your plight, given that you would only try and transfer to that school. You'll need to apply like everyone else though. You might contact them (after you talk to your advisor) to see if they have a spot. You are going to have to let them know. Another place you might post is on academia.stackexchange.com I think the advise there will be a bit better since there are professors at high ranking depts that respond to posts, and might better know the situation.