NSERC CGS-D September Payment?

edf3050

I'm a PhD candidate at University of Toronto and I have received NSERC CGS-D2 ($35K/2 years) in this round of competition. I have chosen to start award from September 2014 and I was wondering if anyone knows how much cheque will I be receiving. At University of Toronto, September installments are all refunded and I need this information so I can plan my budget for next year. 

Thanks.

Congrats on the CGS-D2 :)

This is something dependent on your school. I had the CGS-M back when the CGS-M was more like the CGS-D instead of the OGS (i.e. NSERC pays the school which pays me) and all fellowship awards at Queen's paid out at the beginning of each semester. So, in September, January, and May, I would get a cheque from my school's financial awards department paying 1/3 of the CGS-M award each time. The pay I got for TA/RA work came in monthly paycheque, from the school's Human Resources department. I got all of this information from Queen's at the beginning of August or so, and your school should let you know soon too!

For comparison, I currently have a PGS-D at a foreign institute and I get my paycheque twice a year, in September and April. It makes budgeting much more difficult when most of your pay comes only twice a year (and uneven intervals -- 7 month + 5 month instead of 6+6). With the CGS-D, you should have plenty of reserve/emergency cash (unless you have a lot of expenses) but if you want some tips on how to budget when you only get paid twice or three times a year, I can help out with that :)