CV

ajgolemb28

I was debating on going back to school ( I received my BA already) to take some more biology/chemistry courses. I took A&P and a basic biology 101 course. I did not take any chemistry courses.  I feel like my CV need more biology based course to make my CV more competitive when applying for graduate (master programs) school. My area of focus is forensic anthropology.   I would be taking these lower level courses at a community college ,so the cost would be small. The courses I was looking at taking were general chem 1&2, microbiology, organic chem 1&2. Any suggestions on what else? I really feel like my CV is not competitive enough. I would love everyone's opinion on this.

Edited by ajgolemb28

i think you should volunteer somewhere in order to get some hands on experience? For example, you can call your local forensic lab and see if you can convince them to work on something (anything) with you. Also, you can try contacting a professor at a univ. / college near you and find a professor you can work with on a topic you are interested in. Offer your help in gathering data, or just assisting them with the research they are doing. This might be helpful to you and for a professor you want to work with at your PhD institution (might even get a letter of recommendation out of it) 

i think you should volunteer somewhere in order to get some hands on experience? For example, you can call your local forensic lab and see if you can convince them to work on something (anything) with you. Also, you can try contacting a professor at a univ. / college near you and find a professor you can work with on a topic you are interested in. Offer your help in gathering data, or just assisting them with the research they are doing. This might be helpful to you and for a professor you want to work with at your PhD institution (might even get a letter of recommendation out of it) 

I work with my professor/mentor on some case work and I also volunteer at an archaeology dig/lab.  I will try to contact the state police to see if they need any help and more professors around my area! Thanks for suggestion! :)

Edited by ajgolemb28

If you're thinking that you need more biology and chemistry because you read the CV I sent you, I should tell you that I only had those courses because I was pre-med and then in medical school. My interest in physical and forensic anthropology came during medical school. While I did position my broad science background as a strength and as something to make me stand out from the standard anthropology major applicant, I'm not sure if you necessarily need to take all those courses.  I think the biggest thing might be getting experience in a bioarchaeological or skeletal laboratory of some kind, and also getting to know the people at the programs you are thinking of going to. 

If you're thinking that you need more biology and chemistry because you read the CV I sent you, I should tell you that I only had those courses because I was pre-med and then in medical school. My interest in physical and forensic anthropology came during medical school. While I did position my broad science background as a strength and as something to make me stand out from the standard anthropology major applicant, I'm not sure if you necessarily need to take all those courses.  I think the biggest thing might be getting experience in a bioarchaeological or skeletal laboratory of some kind, and also getting to know the people at the programs you are thinking of going to. I

I was feeling that I needed more bio classes before I read what you sent me. I guess I am just having doubts about my CV, even though I know I have experience. :unsure:

this sounds kind of dumb, i know...but do Forensic anthro people do field school type of things? if so, you might want to get involved though i am sure you know more about it then i do :) .

I was feeling that I needed more bio classes before I read what you sent me. I guess I am just having doubts about my CV, even though I know I have experience. :unsure:

Oh ok. I would think that the more science background you can get, the better. One thing I was told by one of the now-graduated PhD students at MSU was that the broader your knowledge and skill-set, the better. Obviously, you want to prioritize and get ready for the next application season, so if anything, for now I would maybe think about things like gross anatomy, osteology & forensic anthropology. While I do think that the other courses you mentioned might be helpful, I'm not sure the effort in taking them would give you that much of an advantage for you applications. That's just my take.

Hmmm well I can only count from my experience. I didn't have a whole lot of biology background when I applied, then again I took biology in college which was lab based.

However to graduate in anthropology I did have to complete two biological based courses that included a lab, that was Forensic Anthropology and Fragmentary Osteology.

Most of my experience came outside of the classroom though, going to a bioarchaology field school, working at the forensic anthropology facility on campus and creating my own thesis project.

I know Indianapolis is heavily focused on anatomy and chemistry so if you want to apply there, take an anatomy and physiology course as well as a chemistry course. But that was the only school that ever suggested I needed more courses, every other school I visited was more interested in my field work and experiences. 

this sounds kind of dumb, i know...but do Forensic anthro people do field school type of things? if so, you might want to get involved though i am sure you know more about it then i do :) .

I have taken two forensic short courses at UTK, and I am about to take my second one at Mercyhurst! lol, it's not dumb. Forensic doesn't really have a set field school. :D

Hmmm well I can only count from my experience. I didn't have a whole lot of biology background when I applied, then again I took biology in college which was lab based.

However to graduate in anthropology I did have to complete two biological based courses that included a lab, that was Forensic Anthropology and Fragmentary Osteology.

Most of my experience came outside of the classroom though, going to a bioarchaology field school, working at the forensic anthropology facility on campus and creating my own thesis project.

I know Indianapolis is heavily focused on anatomy and chemistry so if you want to apply there, take an anatomy and physiology course as well as a chemistry course. But that was the only school that ever suggested I needed more courses, every other school I visited was more interested in my field work and experiences. 

This is very good to know. I am hoping to visit at least two of the school I am interested in over the summer.

Some courses that would help is anatomy, osteology, and entomology. Besides those I doubt you need anymore classes

The only one that I haven't taken is entomology because none of the schools I attended offered it. I will look around to see if any other schools near me offer it.

Makes sense for Indy, since they are technically a human biology program.

I was debating on going back to school ( I received my BA already) to take some more biology/chemistry courses. I took A&P and a basic biology 101 course. I did not take any chemistry courses.  I feel like my CV need more biology based course to make my CV more competitive when applying for graduate (master programs) school. My area of focus is forensic anthropology.   I would be taking these lower level courses at a community college ,so the cost would be small. The courses I was looking at taking were general chem 1&2, microbiology, organic chem 1&2. Any suggestions on what else? I really feel like my CV is not competitive enough. I would love everyone's opinion on this.

Anatomy? Gross Human Anatomy? Biological Anthropology? Physiology?

Hopeful- my mind blanked. Your right why put courses on your cv?most schools make you list the relevant courses in the app itself so why waste the space on your cv?

That's what I meant.

To be perfectly honest, a list of relevant courses probably isn't going to improve your CV that much.  Schools are looking more for hands on experience than a bunch of science courses.  By all means, if it would make you feel better and more knowledgeable in your field, take some extra science courses.  I don't know exactly what you plan to focus on, so some more science might help you.  But it isn't absolutely necessary.  Most forensic anthropologists I know have spent more time working with coroners offices, local law enforcement, and working with human remains in the anthropology department than stocking up on chemistry and bio classes.  I think these real world experiences will offer you more in terms of CV padding if that's what you're looking for.

I see you're in Michigan.  Ohio State University offers a pretty good forensic anthropology field school during the month of May that I think is still accepting applications (google it).  

To be perfectly honest, a list of relevant courses probably isn't going to improve your CV that much.  Schools are looking more for hands on experience than a bunch of science courses.  By all means, if it would make you feel better and more knowledgeable in your field, take some extra science courses.  I don't know exactly what you plan to focus on, so some more science might help you.  But it isn't absolutely necessary.  Most forensic anthropologists I know have spent more time working with coroners offices, local law enforcement, and working with human remains in the anthropology department than stocking up on chemistry and bio classes.  I think these real world experiences will offer you more in terms of CV padding if that's what you're looking for.

I see you're in Michigan.  Ohio State University offers a pretty good forensic anthropology field school during the month of May that I think is still accepting applications (google it).  

I have to agree.

I added a list of relevant courses on my CV but emphasized the field work and out of classroom experience I have. It wouldn't help to take some technical writing courses, let them know you can write for publication.

I distinctly recall speaking to Dr. Dirkmaat, Dr. Nawrocki, and Dr. Latham and them telling me that a strong background in the sciences was essential. Speak with a few physical/forensic anthropology professors and see what they say about what you can do to make your application the best it can be for next year. 

As far as actually putting courses on the CV...probably not essential. They'll show up on your transcript if you do take them and I'm not even sure anyone reads them anyway. 

I distinctly recall speaking to Dr. Dirkmaat, Dr. Nawrocki, and Dr. Latham and them telling me that a strong background in the sciences was essential. Speak with a few physical/forensic anthropology professors and see what they say about what you can do to make your application the best it can be for next year. 

As far as actually putting courses on the CV...probably not essential. They'll show up on your transcript if you do take them and I'm not even sure anyone reads them anyway. 

I actually didn't finish this post before posting it and then waited too long to edit it. (I have a toddler). I meant to add that I actually ended up putting some "relevant" coursework on my CV (relevancy determined by me I guess) because as a non-anthro major I started to get nervous that admissions committee types might initially scoff at at application from someone without an anthropology major. I wanted to make sure they knew I had a buttload of physical anthro and archaeology coursework as well as research experience. It was probably completely unnecessary. 

I also meant to add that with the time you have left before you apply, I would agree that practical experience is probably going to give you "more bang for your buck" on your application. I hadn't taken any courses for a couple of years prior to applying. It was all about getting into the lab as much as I could, short-courses, etc. Anything I could get involved on.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken two forensic short courses at UTK, and I am about to take my second one at Mercyhurst! lol, it's not dumb. Forensic doesn't really have a set field school. :D

There's actually a VERY good forensic anthropology field school that is offered through Ohio State.  I'm not sure when the deadline is but I'm sure it might have already passed since the field school is coming up quickly.  So if you do want to do it then I would suggest looking into doing it next summer.  I was thinking of either doing it or going overseas and doing a dig at an ancient Roman site.  But seriously, look into OSU's field school.