Asking for an Extension on Making a Decision

AKCarlton

I know this has been briefly brought up among this thread, but I sincerely need advice. Here's my predicament:

• I have been offered acceptance at my top choice, but they can't tell me if I have funding yet...However, they need a decision by April 15 (even though I just was given acceptance today, April 9).
  • I have another offer of acceptance at another school, and they said I'm wait-listed for funding and the latest they can let me know about funding is May 1.
  • On the other hand, I'm still waiting to hear back about first-round decisions from my last school....

Do I have a right to ask my top-choice to give me at least until May 1st or 2nd to give them a decision?

The graduate director and I have been on good terms this entire time and is very well aware they are my top choice, but I need to know more about funding before I can make a decision.

Edited by AKCarlton

You can ask, but I'd say it's unlikely they'd let you defer significantly past April 15th. 

They likely have a waitlist as well, and they risk losing people on that waitlist the longer you wait to give them a decision. 

You have a right to ask, you don't necessarily have the right to an extension. Also remember that basically what you're telling them is that you want to hold out even longer on the chance of getting off a waitlist somewhere that you really want to go. 

That said, in either case you aren't funded, which makes the deadlines (maybe) less of an issue for the school. 

I don't want to come off as a buzzkill, but if you still haven't heard anything from that last program it may be a rejection. I have lots of past experience in getting rejected, and half of them came in late April :wacko:

Yeah, I agree with the previous posters: it never hurts to ask. You could tell them "Hello, I would really like to go to there and accept the offer as it is my top choice. However, funding is very important, and I would like to know if I can get an extension, so that I can know about my funding situation before I decide?"

I don't want to come off as a buzzkill, but if you still haven't heard anything from that last program it may be a rejection. I have lots of past experience in getting rejected, and half of them came in late April :wacko:

Actually, they have yet to make their first-round decisions. I've been in contact with them every week for a while now and I spoke with the graduate director yesterday and he's just as frustrated because he's receiving phone calls like crazy from us applicants waiting to hear from them while trying to make decisions...

Edited by AKCarlton

Yeah, I agree with the previous posters: it never hurts to ask. You could tell them "Hello, I would really like to go to there and accept the offer as it is my top choice. However, funding is very important, and I would like to know if I can get an extension, so that I can know about my funding situation before I decide?"

Thank you all, I was lucky enough to receive two funding package e-mails within minutes of each other today.

So now, I can make an informed decision that is in my best interest...even though I'm still waiting to hear from Florida, I will pester the director tomorrow asking for an immediate status update...nonetheless, it seems I will make a decision by early next week!