Phd Institution Choice for getting a Job as a Computer Science Professor

mlaiguy

Hello Everyone,

I have been accepted into both a top 13 and top 30 school for my PhD. I am currently at the top 13 school and I really like what I do. But some very interesting research is going on at the top 30 school that I've always wanted to do and it will be with a world-renowned professor. My current advisor is fairly new, but he has a lot of recognition as well. My end goal is to be a professor and I understand that the rank of the school can play a big factor. Does anyone think that the rank will be that important in this scenario? Am I seeing everything clearly here? Are there factors that I am not taking into consideration?

Thanks!

In the difference between a top 15 and top 30 institution in a field like CS, probably not.  But I would look at people who teach at the universities at which you might like to teach and look at their CVs.  Where did they go to school?  Does the top 30 program come up relatively often?  Contact the program and ask them what their placement rate is like.  Where do their alumni get jobs?

In the end, though, you should prioritize research fit over ranking.