Chances of MPP/MPA with NO public work experience

Hi! I am an international prospective student, I would like to apply to an MPP/MPA but I feel that if you don't have a public service background it is virtually impossible to get into a good college. I have a good enough GRE (Q 165, V 158) but my work experience is 1 year full time in a private sector company and 1 year part-time internship in another private sector company. I have volunteered for years in a non-profit organization, but I don't know if my work experience is good enough. 

I majored in engineering and in the future would like to work in an NGO, but when I got out of college I felt that if I started to work with non-profit right away my career would be diminished, that's why I preferred to work in for-profit first. Sory for my english.

Please help! Thanks!

Hi! I'm an international student too, and I'm about to start my graduate study this fall. Here's a little something about myself. I hope it can help you gain some confidence when you apply. I'm straight out of undergrad and my only work experience was a one month full-time internship in a local government's foreign affairs office. I had some international volunteer experience, but none of them was longer than a month. (VISA restriction sucks) Well as you can see, you definitely have a stronger background in working than I do. Since I managed to get in some schools that I really like, I believe you will too in the near future. 

I think when applying, the most important thing is to show the ad comm how you fit their program. Sure work experience in related field is of great significance, but you can still show that you're a good fit by emphasizing your other strengths, your unique experience and your motivation in your personal statement.

I hope this will help.

If you have a compelling story and good rationale behind applying (i.e. you know what your passion is and why do you need MPP degree right now) then you will be accepted to good schools ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi! I'm an international student too, and I'm about to start my graduate study this fall. Here's a little something about myself. I hope it can help you gain some confidence when you apply. I'm straight out of undergrad and my only work experience was a one month full-time internship in a local government's foreign affairs office. I had some international volunteer experience, but none of them was longer than a month. (VISA restriction sucks) Well as you can see, you definitely have a stronger background in working than I do. Since I managed to get in some schools that I really like, I believe you will too in the near future. 

I think when applying, the most important thing is to show the ad comm how you fit their program. Sure work experience in related field is of great significance, but you can still show that you're a good fit by emphasizing your other strengths, your unique experience and your motivation in your personal statement.

I hope this will help.

Hey!

I am also planning to apply for the Masters in Public Policy program and I am an International student. Can you please tell me what are the job prospects like in the Private sector for International students? Since we don't have a chance in the Public and Government sector! I would also like to work in the for-profit sector after Graduation...

Hey!

I am also planning to apply for the Masters in Public Policy program and I am an International student. Can you please tell me what are the job prospects like in the Private sector for International students? Since we don't have a chance in the Public and Government sector! I would also like to work in the for-profit sector after Graduation...

• 2 weeks later...

@aspirant: so why are you aiming at public Policy degree and not e.g. MBA if you are planning to go to private sector ?

@alloy : I have only 2 years of work experience and to get into the top notch mba schools this might not be enough. I don't want to take chance and lose another year. That's why MPP/MPA as I find it is closer to MBA. 

If I could chime in I wish to really lay down some misconceptions within this thread.

1. You shouldn't necessarily worry too much about what sector your position is in but rather the duties you undertake. I know many students who were able to get into top MPA/MPP programs while working in the private sector. Its the experience and skills that these programs are looking for. I am sure they won't judge against you for where you worked.

2. Don't think or assume that a certain degree holds you to a certain field. It seems to be a habit of people here to think that going to a certain school will mean they have to take up a career directly relating to it. Take up a masters that will meet YOUR OWN interests and capitalize on the skills and knowledge you gain. A colleague of mine got his Masters in Public Policy Administration and now works with a nice position for Yahoo in California.

Edited by KenBesonders

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I want to reiterate what the previous post.  Personally, when I went back to do my master's in public policy  (at American University in Public Policy, a decent top 15ish program) I had been out of school for a year or two and had about 0 relevant work experience. I am now about to start a PhD at SPEA of Indiana, a very top school, with very little work experience outside of the TA position I had at American.  I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no formula that admission committees follow, they look at a variety of factors and actually value having a diverse student class. My best advice would be to be honest, talk about what is commonly recommended; your qualifications (including work experience), your goals and motivations and why you fit into the program.  But also don't be afraid to talk about what makes you different and what/why you have things to offer that others do not

Second, public affairs master's programs are not really in the business of preparing students for a future in the public sector, they are in the business of preparing students for careers policy, whether that is in the public, private or non profit sector.  Personally I know a lot of peers from my program went into the private sector and I know statistically most people will move between sectors over the course of their careers. And in terms of the international bit as long as you have the necessary work authorizations your job prospect would be like everyone elses.