Dentist VS Chemist

coldplay32

Hi, 

This might be a routine topic, but what do you think?

For salary, dentist is much higher ( median : $140000 ) than that of Ph.D chemist, (about $80000?)

and these days the social reputation might be...I don't know, but dentist might have slightly higher reputation than chemist.

Is there any other things which can be a stronger points for being a chemist compared to the dentist?

What do you think, frankly?

I think that this entirely depends on your priorities and interests.

Dentist:

- More Money

- Prestige? I suppose that being a medical doctor is pretty prestigous but I dont think that anyone would judge you for "only" being a scientist

- More people oriented profesion. You may like this better if you like working with tons of people and are really outgoing.

Chemist:

- If academia, better hours

- More research oriented, less people oriented (of course, you will teach so will still interact with many people)

- Great university benefits, including medical on campus and gym.

Basically, if you want a career where you have a people oriented, more routine sort of job, then a dentist is a great career. If you want a research job where you are often shut in a lab, investigating something that you are really interested in then you should be a researcher. These careers are hard to compare since they are compeltely different. I think that in order to be a reseacher, you have to be REALLY passionate about what you do. People become chemists for passion, not for money. So I think that should figure out what you are passionate about and go with that.

There's a lot to be said about the pros and cons of each profession, and it really depends on what your values/priorities are.

I will offer this, though: perhaps I am irrational, but dentists don't hold any social prestige for me. I think my perception is too skewed by moneygrubbing pain-causing dental terrorists.

Is there any other things which can be a stronger points for being a chemist compared to the dentist?

Honestly, I think you get the most success and satisfaction from a career that you love. The most (self-made) wealthy people love what they do, and work their butts off for it.

Why does your question not include that? lolzzz

Hi, 

For salary, dentist is much higher ( median : $140000 ) than that of Ph.D chemist, (about $80000?)

and these days the social reputation might be...I don't know, but dentist might have slightly higher reputation than chemist.

If you are in the US, then Dentistry > Chemistry

why..?

(1) financial and employment stability -

In order to practice as a dentist you need a degree from an accredited school in US and pass the dentistry licensure exam before you can call yourself a "legit" dentist. There are laws and regulations that protect you. You do not get the same protections with a PhD. in chemistry and the job market is already saturated (compete with foreign PhDs), many people are being forced to switch career in their 30s and 40s. The job security is highly unstable and most likely will get worse. 

(2) more prestige

I think this boils down to what you enjoy doing more. It doesn't matter so much the salary difference if you don't enjoy what you are doing.

I don't think this is true.

Do you think it's okay to make your spouse and children to relocate every 2, 3 years because there are only short-term contract jobs available? and not be able to buy a house and settle down when you're in your 40s or even 50s? 

Do you think it's okay to make your spouse and children to relocate every 2, 3 years because there are only short-term contract jobs available? and not be able to buy a house and settle down when you're in your 40s or even 50s? 

Assuming you want a family...Some people have different priorities.

If you think being a dentist is something you'll enjoy, go for it; you'll get money and fulfillment. If you don't, you'll do a lousy job and won't last long anyway. *cliche* Can you really put a price on fulfillment?  

Edited by alkylholic

I could see this if the salary difference was comparing something like 25k to 60k, but I think OP is comparing 80k to 140k. I honestly don't think 80k would make it a struggle to settle down and live comfortably.

I could see this if the salary difference was comparing something like 25k to 60k, but I think OP is comparing 80k to 140k. I honestly don't think 80k would make it a struggle to settle down and live comfortably.

He's referring to jumping from postdoc to postdoc, which would make starting or raising a family very difficult and pays in the neighborhood of $45k. The $80k figure is what you can expect as an entry level PhD industrial chemist. Edited by Vene

Don't you agree with the saying that 140K is a huge amount? I think there are so many well known awesome chemistry professors who are paid much less than that...but most dentist can earn at least 100k as soon as they graduate. seems..unnatural to me frankly...

There are plenty of people with a PhD in chemistry and years of experience making less than 50K a year, especially those born in the 80s and 90s. 

You don't see any dentists with no experience making less than 90K a year. 

Edited by Quantum Buckyball

There are plenty of people with a PhD in chemistry and years of experience making less than 50K a year, especially those born in the 80s and 90s. 

You don't see any dentists with no experience making less than 90K a year. 

REALLY??? unbelievable...

REALLY??? unbelievable...

There aren't many good jobs for chemistry PhDs born in the 80s and 90s. Most of the available jobs are just contracting work, where you work for people range from 3 months ~ 12 months at a time. Your employer is not required to pay for your 401K and other benefits by law, because you are not "technically" their employee, you  are just a contractor.

I've met many people in the industry who are afraid to settle down and buy a house because they just don't know if they will need to relocate in a couple of years. In addition, most of bench work (hands-on stuff) are being outsourced oversea, people hire employees with a high school diploma to do their experiments and run the reactions.

Welcome to Business world
Edited by Quantum Buckyball

Dentists more and more are working as an employee of a corporation and not opening up a private practice.  Dental education is not subsidized.  Many graduate with loans of $100,000-150,000.   They can't afford to open a private practice, they don't qualify for the loans with loan debt already high.  They work for a corporation.  They have to meet productivity criteria.  They have to push cosmetic dentistry to get the cash paying patient.  They often have poor job satisfaction and move from storefront to storefront.  They usually have a non-compete clause and can't leave the big box and go out on their own unless they leave town.  And yes restrictive clauses are legal in most states if they are reasonable  (50-60 miles, 2 years etc).  And they are not making over $100,000 out of dental school.

Even if they are, calculate the payment on their loans once out of school.  Loan of 150,000 over 10 yrs at 6.8% interest is a payment of $1800 A MONTH ($21,600+ a year) and the additional interest in 10 years adds up to nearly $60,000 more, so they paid out $210,000.  

So for 10 years, take $22,000 off the salary total ( adding in a few late payments).  And with the lower credit scores, they will pay more for car loans, house loans. 

Yep, not all it is cracked up to me.

If you arewere lookig for well-paying medical jobs in high demand then you should look to being a PA, not a dentist. PA's make around 90K per year and the demand for PAs is high as the number of doctors entering family medicine decreases and PA's essentially step in to become the primary medical caregiver for lots of people. PA school is similar in length to getting your master's degree and the tuiton you would pay is going to be about the same as you would pay as an in-state undergraduate at a public school. I don't know what PA school is like but you could probably do some part-time work (as a scribe or something) to help pay the bills and not rack up tremendous debt while in school. Obviously if you were from out of state and or it was a private school costs would be higher. Malpractice insurance for PA's is much less than for MDs/DOs so in the end their take is pretty close to the actual salary.

Edited by Faraday

If you arewere lookig for well-paying medical jobs in high demand then you should look to being a PA, not a dentist. PA's make around 90K per year and the demand for PAs is high as the number of doctors entering family medicine decreases and PA's essentially step in to become the primary medical caregiver for lots of people. PA school is similar in length to getting your master's degree and the tuiton you would pay is going to be about the same as you would pay as an in-state undergraduate at a public school. I don't know what PA school is like but you could probably do some part-time work (as a scribe or something) to help pay the bills and not rack up tremendous debt while in school. Obviously if you were from out of state and or it was a private school costs would be higher. Malpractice insurance for PA's is much less than for MDs/DOs so in the end their take is pretty close to the actual salary.

PA is an alternative option. You should also know that PA is a US-only degree, there are currently no equivalent degrees in any other countries. 

• 2 weeks later...

OP if you're interested in what people in academia make, I think public schools are required by law to post the salaries of their employees. Out of curiosity I've looked up what people I know are paid and the staff scientist I know makes like 60K I think? My PI makes like 160K. So... that's nice haha.

• 3 weeks later...

OP if you're interested in what people in academia make, I think public schools are required by law to post the salaries of their employees. Out of curiosity I've looked up what people I know are paid and the staff scientist I know makes like 60K I think? My PI makes like 160K. So... that's nice haha.

check again and see how long does ti take for your PI to make 160K. I'm willing to bet more than 10 years especially if you are in a public school

• 4 weeks later...

check again and see how long does ti take for your PI to make 160K. I'm willing to bet more than 10 years especially if you are in a public school

Oh yeah definitely. Not saying he didnt deserve it. He still works crazy hours too. Way more than some of the grad students even.

I don't know if dentists have residencies like doctors, or if OP would be willing to sacrifice time for a similar amount of money if it meant he did something more enjoyable to him. Personally I don't think I could ever be a PI just for the money but I could be a dentist just for the money if it meant I worked 9-5 immediately after I finished school.

Edited by fancyfeast

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

This is the most ridiculous question I've seen on this forum; congratulations.  Do you want to attend a professional school or learn a science?  This is totally an apples and oranges comparison.  

Hey Guys!  Should I become a professional golfer or a field geologist? I don't even know!