PhD Application

TheProcess

Everyone, 

I got my BA in Religion back in 2008.  I've since decided I'd like to get my PhD in anthropology.  I have a 3.85 GPA, taught English in Korea for 2 years, lived in the Philippines recently for a couple of years and I speak Filipino.

Firstly, I was wondering what my chances are of getting accepted into a PhD program.  Secondly, I'd like to know at what programs I could study the Philippines.  I've done quite a bit of research myself but I can only find two programs (Texas A&M and University of Georgia) that have professors interested in the Philippines.  Ideally, I'd like to focus on Filipino drug mules and human trafficking or indigenous tribes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what universities I could study at?  Should I get my Master's first simply to get back in the swing of things and reacquaint myself with the current state of anthropology?

What say all of you?  Any information is greatly appreciated!

The Process

Edited by TheProcess

68 views and no replies? :)  Somebody has to have some words of wisdom.  Is the Philippines just not an oft studied location or what?  Would it be better to focus on Indonesia, Cambodia or India?

The Process

I'd say look into a Masters degree, that would help you get into the swing of things.  Contact the professors at those school. Also, look to see if there are any articles published about your interests and then contact the authors.

I see that you have done a bit of research and that's great!  I would recommend continuing to search for academic articles on topics that interest you and then looking up their authors.  This will help you a lot in finding what you're looking for.

If there are only two schools that offer what you want, just tailor your application to those schools and apply to them.  It also doesn't hurt to email the professors who work in the Philippines and ask them for reading suggestions or other programs that offer similar foci.  They will definitely have some resources for you.

In terms of gauging your chances of getting into grad school, that's literally impossible.  To improve your chances, the best things you can do are have a solid understanding of the topics you want to go on to research so you can write about them clearly in your statement of purpose, have excellent letters of recommendation, and contact professors at your schools of interest beforehand to get your name on their radar. 

Edited by strudelle

What are you interested in methodologically? A project on the legal/political dimensions of human trafficking would look very different in comparison to, say, an ethnographic project that focuses on ritual in Luzon tribal groups. Considering your lack of background in anthropology, a masters might be best for you. A good friend of mine transitioned from a B.A. in Politics to an M.A. program in Anthropology; she said it would have been impossible to go straight into anthro because of her lack of field experience. (This may differ depending on specific subfields, though!)

That said, you probably don't need to limit yourself to someone working on your country of interest (in this case, the Philippines). I imagine that you could be mentored by a number of researchers with expertise in Southeast Asia, your theoretical interests, and your chosen methodology/subfield, whatever it happens to be.

Good luck! :)

I agree with hj2012 - you don't need to be mentored by someone working in the same country as you. If you are interested in studying drug trafficking, you may want to look for other anthropologists who focus on issues related to drug trafficking, they will be able to provide you with a lot of theoretical and methodological support that then you could apply to your specific area (the Philippines). 

I also think strudel's suggesting of contacting professors you've identifies as having relevant interests to see if they might be able to suggest other programs is a great idea! I had a number of POIs I contact point me towards other researchers whose interests fit with mine.