Lab experience is all over the place?

southwhale

Hi guys,

I just joined this forum so hopefully this is in the right section! I would appreciate any help/advice; sorry for the length!

I'm planning on applying to masters programs in conservation biology/conservation policy this coming fall. I would ultimately like to work in the field of wildlife conservation, and do not have plans to continue to a PhD program. 

I'm finishing up my junior year at a well-ranked university and I think I've done pretty well. I will probably have around a 3.8 when I apply, and am double majoring in Neuroscience and Spanish. That's where I start to worry, because neither of these majors directly relate to my intended field. I have taken several biology classes, but do schools like to see applicants with a related undergraduate major?

Also, what worries me more is the lack of direction in my work experience. I've been lucky to have the opportunity to gain a lot of research experience in my undergraduate career. I worked for a year in a biopsychology lab, a year in a cognitive neuroscience lab researching memory, and now I currently work in a microbial ecology lab. Over the summers I also work in an industrial analytical chemistry lab and have experience working within different areas of that lab as well. 

I feel like I have been lucky to acquire so many different laboratory skills, but I'm worried about the fact that it doesn't really relate to what I want to pursue. My decision to pursue conservation biology was kind of a late one, and was kind of based on a couple classes, as well as the realization that I don't want to do research as a career.

Will it be looked down upon that I have this experience in a research setting, but I don't intend to apply in in a masters program?

Thank you for your help! 

All I can offer is my experience. I was a biology major with a chemistry minor who did a senior research project on algae. I then worked for a year doing product development and formulation for a major chemical company. I am now heading to do a PhD in biomedical science with absolutely zero research experience in the field.

Also, I wouldn't quite say your neuroscience major is completely unrelated, it's still a life science degree and to a large extent at the undergraduate level they are interchangeable. You may get a program or two wondering why you're looking at conservation biology, but I'd imagine you'd still have a solid background in general biology theories and will be able to quickly leap into the field. I also imagine that your ecology work will help you.

I think that for you, more than anyone, your SOP will be super important. You need your SOP to give a very clear picture of why you want to do conservation bio and it needs to be convincing. Your experience can either be seen as wishy washy or as positive since you tried so many things and so you know for certain what you want to do. Make sure your SOP gets across the latter.

Also, most people write about what makes them different or stand out in their SOP. You know what makes you different! Make sure you "sell" yourself and your experience. I am sure you can think or skills you picked up from your diverse experience that most students would not have. You need to talk about these skills.

Edited by bsharpe269