Assistantships

Ceci

Firstly, I hope a topic like this doesn't exist yet.

I was just curious if assistantships for first year graduate students, aside from Ph.D., are typically not awarded?  Perhaps do many universities feel that a first year graduate student should focus solely on studies?

My department doesn't offer first year's assistantship opportunities, but that we are more than welcome to apply within other departments with vacancies.  While I attempt to do this I'm seeing, even though it is only April, that they have been filled.  Which leads me to my next question, is networking a key component to obtaining an assistantship? 

Any advice on assistantship obtainment would be very much appreciated.  Thank you all for your time.

This is one of those things that varies widely from school to school and department to department. You would be hard-pressed to find an English department that doesn't offer assistanceships to first years, MA, MFA, or PhD. I know that KU, in English, used to accept more students than they had assistanceships for and farmed students out to local community colleges as adjuncts for teaching experience and a paycheck (no actual help with student expenses).

I'm not sure where you're headed, but you can check into the community college teaching thing.

I wasn't awarded an assistantship either, but I am on an unofficial waitlist. I'm hoping I receive one by my second semester. I've applied in other positions but have yet to hear any feedback. If I secure one for my first semester, I might die of happiness.

• 2 weeks later...