Jacksonville University

Anyone heard about their new program starting Fall 2014. They recently got their pre accreditation. What are your thoughts about attending/applying to a school that hasn't received its accreditation yet? 

I had never heard of this until I saw your post.  I just sent them an e-mail though asking to get more information about the program and when they would find out about accreditation.  How did you hear about this school?  Are you an undergrad there?

I'd be interested in learning about this, too. I am from Jacksonville and would not mind moving back there. And I would assume it would be slightly less competitive to enter than other programs in the state. After graduating from this program would we have all the rights and abilities as we would from an accredited school?

I can let you guys know what the director says in the e-mail once she e-mails me back.  The other thing I was wondering is if they would mainly only accept their undergrads because it is a new program and nobody has really heard of it yet?  I wouldn't want to apply for nothing like I did to one school this year that only takes their undergrads (they never told anyone about this).

I randomly heard about it on google actually. I was searching for florida schools with speech pathology programs and i saw it. Ive emailed with the director a few times. Its a brand new program. First cohort is Fall 2014. Im going to finish up my bachelors first through USF then apply for the Class of 2015 and see how the first class goes haha I dont want to be the guinea pig really! The director of the program is from UF though. From reading the information about it, it seems that they decided to start a new program due to the shortage of SLP's. If you google it you will find new articles ect of the starting of it. They were awarded there 5 year pre accreditation recently. Not sure how i feel about attending a "pre accredited" school but at this point if its less competitive than i wont have a choice. 

Both the graduate and undergraduate program are new, so I don't think they would show any preferential treatment. Also, I attended an Open House, and there were about 50 eager women there and 1 or 2 males. They plan to admit about 30. So chances are, it's still competitive.

Do you know if they have already completed the enrollment for the fall 14 cohort? Or anything about deadlines for applying for 2015?

I dont really know anything about this program, but I looked into it yesterday just because I hadn't heard of it before, and I think their deadline isn't until June 1st.

Hey guys! So it is pre-accredited because they are sort of on like a prohibitory basis. If ASHA gave them the ok to start accepting students for fall 2014, then they are confident that the program will be successful and the school could potentially be accredited before school starts in the fall. I am pretty sure I am attending Salus University which is in the Philly area. They are in the same situation as Jacksonville, but they said all the students are protected under ASHA. It is still just as competitive, but they seem to be accepting applications for a longer basis. Salus has a lot of other health grad professional programs, so I am pretty confident that the SLP program will do well. If you are okay with being some sort of guinea big then these schools would be perfect. Both schools also seem really excited about their new programs and very interested in their students. Hope this helps! 

Hey guys! So it is pre-accredited because they are sort of on like a prohibitory basis. If ASHA gave them the ok to start accepting students for fall 2014, then they are confident that the program will be successful and the school could potentially be accredited before school starts in the fall. I am pretty sure I am attending Salus University which is in the Philly area. They are in the same situation as Jacksonville, but they said all the students are protected under ASHA. It is still just as competitive, but they seem to be accepting applications for a longer basis. Salus has a lot of other health grad professional programs, so I am pretty confident that the SLP program will do well. If you are okay with being some sort of guinea big then these schools would be perfect. Both schools also seem really excited about their new programs and very interested in their students. Hope this helps! 

Do you feel it would be risky to attend a school that doesn't have full accreditation status?  Do you know what happens if for some reason they don't receive full accreditation, for example would our credits transfer?

Do you feel it would be risky to attend a school that doesn't have full accreditation status?  Do you know what happens if for some reason they don't receive full accreditation, for example would our credits transfer?

Yea I am pretty sure they would transfer. ASHA would not give them an okay to accept applicants if they didn't think the program would be unsuccessful. Salus told me that if something happened to the program I would be protected under ASHA.

I feel the same way. If ASHA pre accredited them then they shouldn't have a problem after that. I want to see how the first fall 2014 class goes than i may apply for fall 2015! Jacksonville is an awesome area to live in ive heard. They do have otehr health care related programs here as well so I believe it is a reputable school. 

Has anyone gotten a response? I emailed the program director over a week ago but I have not heard anything back. I tried using the school application but it did not ask for a place to upload personal statement, resume, etc. I am not sure I am using the correct application.

I can let you guys know what the director says in the e-mail once she e-mails me back.  The other thing I was wondering is if they would mainly only accept their undergrads because it is a new program and nobody has really heard of it yet?  I wouldn't want to apply for nothing like I did to one school this year that only takes their undergrads (they never told anyone about this).

Have you heard back from them yet?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel the same way. If ASHA pre accredited them then they shouldn't have a problem after that. I want to see how the first fall 2014 class goes than i may apply for fall 2015! Jacksonville is an awesome area to live in ive heard. They do have otehr health care related programs here as well so I believe it is a reputable school.

Jacksonville is an awesome place to live? Hahahahaha. I've never heard anything so funny and untrue in my life! ;)

• 6 months later...

Anyone heard about their new program starting Fall 2014. They recently got their pre accreditation. What are your thoughts about attending/applying to a school that hasn't received its accreditation yet? 

I toured it and LOOOOOVE it. It has an amazing clinic with state of the art equipment, wonderful and intelligent faculty with VERY big names. It's a fantastic choice.

I just went to their open house. Their facilities are really nice, but they do not have a onsite clinic. Clinicals begin in the second semester at various placement sites.

What kind of big names?

Most of the professors are from the University of Florida. One was from U of Mississippi, and another from U of Iowa. 

The director said they don't have score/gpa cutoffs, and that they really do look at the whole package (SOP, LOR, resume, etc). 

Yes, everyone in their faculty is super nice. I think the idea of off-site placement is to be able to increase their cohort size once their faculty grows. Many of the private practices in Jacksonviile have agreed to collaborate in the process. I think it's a great idea.

Edited by gendertreachery