PhD advisor's background completely different than my research interests.

kandoigaurav

Should I join my to be advisor if he has a background in a very different domain, in evolutionary biology, than my research interests like genomics, machine learning, predictive modeling, systems biology, and cancers?

He says that he is recruiting me so that I can work on cancers. He has some great ideas about evolutionary biology and cancers but no prior experience in what I'm currently doing or wish to do.

He insists that I'll be free to continue what I'm doing or do something related which I'm interested in. So, would be wise to join him considering his background is entirely different? I have no affinity for evolutionary biology.

Note: I've another offer from a university where I can do lab rotations and then pick up on my advisor.

Is this advisor a new faculty who desperately needs people in the lab? Could you ask him what specifically he has in mind for you to work on, and why does he think that you are a good fit? These are important things to know. Also, are you a masters student or PhD student?  

I agree that you should be careful because sometimes professors will say one thing and then when you get there, the reality is something else. Sometimes this is just misunderstanding or maybe something changed (e.g. a grant they were applying for to fund your project didn't go through over the summer). 

I am not sure how much the prof has already explained to you about your future project. If it sounds like a definite project is planned and if you think that is a good project for you, then it might be a good opportunity still. Some other things to consider are backup plans--are there other profs you could work with at that school if this prof doesn't turn out well? Also, it might be a good idea to talk to the other graduate students to ask about this prof--is this prof known for telling students one thing and then changing their projects?

Is this advisor a new faculty who desperately needs people in the lab? Could you ask him what specifically he has in mind for you to work on, and why does he think that you are a good fit? These are important things to know. Also, are you a masters student or PhD student?  

I guess he is, because I'm the only student he would be have. He doesn't really have a specific project idea in his mind for me. He wants me to continue using what I'm currently doing for what he wants to do. I'm a PhD student.

I agree that you should be careful because sometimes professors will say one thing and then when you get there, the reality is something else. Sometimes this is just misunderstanding or maybe something changed (e.g. a grant they were applying for to fund your project didn't go through over the summer). 

I am not sure how much the prof has already explained to you about your future project. If it sounds like a definite project is planned and if you think that is a good project for you, then it might be a good opportunity still. Some other things to consider are backup plans--are there other profs you could work with at that school if this prof doesn't turn out well? Also, it might be a good idea to talk to the other graduate students to ask about this prof--is this prof known for telling students one thing and then changing their projects?

He is recruting for the first time and my funding would come from TA in biological sciences department. It doesn't sound like a definite project. And, I wont be able to change the prof at the university if things don't turn out well. He joined as a faculty in 2012 and is recruiting for the first time this year.

If that's the case, I will be really cautious about it. Even if he wants to coach you well, given what he wants you to do is not his expertise, you will be left to dry when obstacles arise. Unless you are really really lucky to have an outside mentor who is there to help (I highly doubt there will be another PI willing to coach someone else's student), otherwise, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Don't choose a PI who needs you more than you need him/her.

If that's the case, I will be really cautious about it. Even if he wants to coach you well, given what he wants you to do is not his expertise, you will be left to dry when obstacles arise. Unless you are really really lucky to have an outside mentor who is there to help (I highly doubt there will be another PI willing to coach someone else's student), otherwise, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Don't choose a PI who needs you more than you need him/her.

Yeah, it does seem that he needs me much more that I do. He has always gone long to find details about my funding, collaborate with the prof whose lab I wanted to join but she had no funds to support me. Thanks for bringing in light these views as well. I never thought from these views.

I'll probably choose the other university (Iowa State Univ) where I can rotate before deciding my major advisor. Cheers!