Iowa State University vs Virginia Tech for PhD in bioinformatics?

kandoigaurav

Which is a better option for bioinformatics: PhD at Iowa State University or PhD at Virginia Tech?

I've received fully-funded admits for PhD in Bioinformatics at both Iowa State and Virginia Tech. I would like to work on genomics utilizing machine learning, networks biology, systems level analysis and the likes.

I'll have a chance to do 3 rotations at Iowa State before I choose my advisor. I will also have an opportunity to do a summer internship in my first year, since it is a part of their course itself.

On the other side, my advisor at Virginia Tech is a newly appointed assistant faculty who is tenure-track. I am his first and only recruitment this year. His background is however in evolutionary biology though he insists that I'm free to continue working on my present theme of something similar to that. Would it wise to be under him considering his primary interest is completely different than mine?

Which would be a better pick among these two universities? I'm not inclined towards teaching after my PhD, however research scientist at a laboratory or in industry is still good for me.

How do these compare with each other in terms of future opportunities, networking, internship prospects, success rate, location, reputation etc?

What kind of evolutionary research does the Virginia Tech professor do? Evolutionary biology is pretty broad and touches on all other areas of biology so I'm not seeing at as impossible that your interests mesh up, especially considering the bioinformatics program has decided he's a fit for their department.

Otherwise, I'd honestly look at Iowa State for research fit.

Edit: But wasn't yesterday the deadline for accepting funded PhD offers?

Edited by Vene

Hey

His main interests are: Evolutionary theory; population genetic modeling; behavioral ecological modeling; the evolution of recombination; modularity; conflict and cooperation,

He did said me that he's recruiting me for bioinformatics analysis and I should be free to choose what I work on. Now, the downside which I see is that, I'vent explored much domains of bioinfo and would be glad to know about various other research projects going on. However, at VT I'll probably end up doing all by myself. The prof also mentioned that he wants me to be independent and thus he wouldn't want me to constantly approach him for everything. Yes, thats good, because it'll make me independent but then I won't have senior students to look upto when I'm stuck.

He's actually from biological sciences department and his name din't feature in the bioinformatics program faculty roster, maybe because he's pretty new. 

He was generous to give me 2 more days to think upon and then let him know!

Edited by kandoigaurav

That sounds more like he's trying to hire a research associate than that he's taking on a graduate student. I know that to some extent we need to be independent, but if you're going to effectively be a bioinformatics consultant I feel that's crossing the line from student to employee.

Yeah I agree with teh above... it sounds like he wants you as more of a reserach associate and I am not quite sure he would be the best mentor based on how new he is to the program and everything else you ahve said (of course, without knowing him, I could be absolurelt wrong here). I think that Iowa state sounds like it would provide a better reserach experience.