Raising GPA -- Second Bachelor's or individual courses or other?

doingthings

Hey, guys. According to the master's programs that I was rejected from, the sole issue with my application was my undergraduate GPA and poor performance in core courses (basic chem, bio etc) during the first two years of undergrad. I had a 2.7, and according to my calculations, to even pass the 3.0 mark would require me to take at least 6+ courses with an A in all of them. 

- I've heard from various sources that a great way to deal with this is to pursue a second bachelor's and, if I do well within the first two years, I can just apply to graduate school with my collective gpa.

- I've also heard of going to your target university and taking graduate courses as a non-degree (which isn't possible for my top choice university). 

- Alternatively, I could just apply during the next application cycle to universities with lower GPA requirements but with faculty whose research I'm not as keen on. 

- I could also work for a really long time and get more papers published before applying again, AND/OR.

- I could take subject test GRE's and score high on the GRE and subject test GRE's. 

Another issue is that the degree I received is not helping me get jobs in any field I'm interested in working in. Not enough course work in one specific topic has really screwed me over, and I'm cursing ever deciding on the major I graduated with. I feel kind of screwed.

Any and all help appreciated. 

What is your end goal school/career wise? MS or phd? acedmia or industry etc?

Also, if your goal is phd then what is your research experience up to this point? And you mention retaking the GRE but what is current score that you applied with this cycle?

Edited by bsharpe269

What is your end goal school/career wise? MS or phd? acedmia or industry etc?

Also, if your goal is phd then what is your research experience up to this point? And you mention retaking the GRE but what is current score that you applied with this cycle?

My end goal is a PhD and a career in academia, but I'd like to get an MS first and then a PhD if possible. 

I have assisted with two graduate research projects, and have one unpublished research paper and one literature review that was made in preparation for a potential research project. 

My scores for the GRE were 159 Q and 161 V and 4.5 AW.

Hey, guys. According to the master's programs that I was rejected from, the sole issue with my application was my undergraduate GPA and poor performance in core courses (basic chem, bio etc) during the first two years of undergrad. I had a 2.7, and according to my calculations, to even pass the 3.0 mark would require me to take at least 6+ courses with an A in all of them. 

- I've heard from various sources that a great way to deal with this is to pursue a second bachelor's and, if I do well within the first two years, I can just apply to graduate school with my collective gpa.

- I've also heard of going to your target university and taking graduate courses as a non-degree (which isn't possible for my top choice university). 

- Alternatively, I could just apply during the next application cycle to universities with lower GPA requirements but with faculty whose research I'm not as keen on. 

- I could also work for a really long time and get more papers published before applying again, AND/OR.

- I could take subject test GRE's and score high on the GRE and subject test GRE's. 

Another issue is that the degree I received is not helping me get jobs in any field I'm interested in working in. Not enough course work in one specific topic has really screwed me over, and I'm cursing ever deciding on the major I graduated with. I feel kind of screwed.

Any and all help appreciated. 

What you may be considering is known as a post-bacc, which is a program primarily designed for students wishing to gain entry to medical, dental, or veterinary school who do not possess the necessary science core to do so.  Some post-baccs are nothing more than a handful of courses that lead to a certificate while others are full-blown two-year programs that lead to a second B.S. degree.  As far as I know nearly all universities offer the post-bacc.

However, since the courses in question are core courses you can possibly (re)take them at a community college. There is no shame in this and the grad school is not going to give a hoot where you take the courses. A 200 level course is a a 200 level course. 

You can attempt to take grad courses as a non-matriculated student but keep in mind that there is still an application to fill out and the fees/tuition may be hefty as non-matriculated students qualify for zero aid of any kind.  The drawback is not that you cannot handle upper-level/grad courses, it is that your grades in lower-division courses were not up to par.  For what it is worth, I would go with what the adcoms are telling you.  If you apply to Program X and are denied entry into Program X and you ask those at Program X who made the decision why they made that decision, well, I would take their word as law....and not what some random friend my suggest. 

Realistically, if you retake these courses the new grade can replace the old grade, thus bumping up your GPA.  This is what is more-than-likely to happen and is another reason to take gen chem, gen bio, and so on at a community college.  I would suggest taking one or two hard classes in addition if you can, maybe differential equations or calc 3 if the CC offers them.  

Seeing as how you are going to reapply in the future I would recommend just retaking the courses instead of simply applying to programs with a lower GPA requirement.  Judging by the sheer amount of "I hate grad school...it's not what I thought..." found on GradCafe I would stick with going to a program where you and your POI have some common interests. The dropout rate for Ph.D.s is what, 50%?  (this number totally peeves me as it suggests that too many people who "want" a Ph.D. did not do their research and in reality do not have a solid reason for obtaining one.  Admissions to Ph.D. might not be as competitive if these yahoo's did not apply and take spots from those who legitimately WANT to be there).  

Sure, you can work.  There is no guarantee that you will have an opportunity to publish, though.  This could also take years to accomplish.  I would suggest finding volunteer work.

As for taking a GRE subject test.  Personally I think this is a great idea.  To retake the general test...I dunno.  Your scores are not bad and unless you feel you can score in the high 160s for quant, well...it's up to you.  However, as I previously wrote you claim that the programs you were denied from specifically listed your lower-than-desired grades/GPA in lower division courses as the sole reason for the denials. With that in mind wouldn't you agree that your GRE scores are good enough?  

What major did you graduate with?  For what it is worth it is generally not the degree that prevents jobs but the person holding the degree who does.  There are too many factors that go into getting hired.  Your degree is only one part, and a small one at that.  You could have the most sought-after degree in the world but if your interviewing skills royally suck or you come across as a complete dullard or you use "text speak", well...c-ya later. 

To summarize:

-Retake the necessary courses in question at a CC.

-If possible, take at least one "hard course" such as Calc 3 (or Calc 2 if you do not have it), Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, a calculus-based Physics course, soil science (my local CC offers this course), meteorology, and so on.

-Volunteer in something relating to conservation and/or marine science.

-Reapply to the same programs next year.  Include an addendum to your SOP stating you applied last year...was denied...the adcoms stated that the only reason you were denied were because of grades received in certain courses...you retook those courses and got As...now let me in, dammit!  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

What you may be considering is known as a post-bacc, which is a program primarily designed for students wishing to gain entry to medical, dental, or veterinary school who do not possess the necessary science core to do so.  Some post-baccs are nothing more than a handful of courses that lead to a certificate while others are full-blown two-year programs that lead to a second B.S. degree.  As far as I know nearly all universities offer the post-bacc.

However, since the courses in question are core courses you can possibly (re)take them at a community college. There is no shame in this and the grad school is not going to give a hoot where you take the courses. A 200 level course is a a 200 level course. 

You can attempt to take grad courses as a non-matriculated student but keep in mind that there is still an application to fill out and the fees/tuition may be hefty as non-matriculated students qualify for zero aid of any kind.  The drawback is not that you cannot handle upper-level/grad courses, it is that your grades in lower-division courses were not up to par.  For what it is worth, I would go with what the adcoms are telling you.  If you apply to Program X and are denied entry into Program X and you ask those at Program X who made the decision why they made that decision, well, I would take their word as law....and not what some random friend my suggest. 

Realistically, if you retake these courses the new grade can replace the old grade, thus bumping up your GPA.  This is what is more-than-likely to happen and is another reason to take gen chem, gen bio, and so on at a community college.  I would suggest taking one or two hard classes in addition if you can, maybe differential equations or calc 3 if the CC offers them.  

Seeing as how you are going to reapply in the future I would recommend just retaking the courses instead of simply applying to programs with a lower GPA requirement.  Judging by the sheer amount of "I hate grad school...it's not what I thought..." found on GradCafe I would stick with going to a program where you and your POI have some common interests. The dropout rate for Ph.D.s is what, 50%?  (this number totally peeves me as it suggests that too many people who "want" a Ph.D. did not do their research and in reality do not have a solid reason for obtaining one.  Admissions to Ph.D. might not be as competitive if these yahoo's did not apply and take spots from those who legitimately WANT to be there).  

Sure, you can work.  There is no guarantee that you will have an opportunity to publish, though.  This could also take years to accomplish.  I would suggest finding volunteer work.

As for taking a GRE subject test.  Personally I think this is a great idea.  To retake the general test...I dunno.  Your scores are not bad and unless you feel you can score in the high 160s for quant, well...it's up to you.  However, as I previously wrote you claim that the programs you were denied from specifically listed your lower-than-desired grades/GPA in lower division courses as the sole reason for the denials. With that in mind wouldn't you agree that your GRE scores are good enough?  

What major did you graduate with?  For what it is worth it is generally not the degree that prevents jobs but the person holding the degree who does.  There are too many factors that go into getting hired.  Your degree is only one part, and a small one at that.  You could have the most sought-after degree in the world but if your interviewing skills royally suck or you come across as a complete dullard or you use "text speak", well...c-ya later. 

To summarize:

-Retake the necessary courses in question at a CC.

-If possible, take at least one "hard course" such as Calc 3 (or Calc 2 if you do not have it), Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, a calculus-based Physics course, soil science (my local CC offers this course), meteorology, and so on.

-Volunteer in something relating to conservation and/or marine science.

-Reapply to the same programs next year.  Include an addendum to your SOP stating you applied last year...was denied...the adcoms stated that the only reason you were denied were because of grades received in certain courses...you retook those courses and got As...now let me in, dammit!  

Thanks for your advice, BBQ, and for taking the time to write me this beautiful wall of text! This has definitely helped to reassure me in what I should be doing. 

As for the last part about my degree: It was a degree aimed primarily at applying to veterinary school and animal science (dairy, poultry, swine). It required a lot of coursework in agricultural animal anatomy, production, nutrition, genetics, housing, etc. It wasn't until half-way through that I realized that I wanted a degree in marine sciences. After discussing a potential degree change with the marine bio advisor, she convinced me to stick with my degree and just take a few marine biology courses. 

After graduating and moving back to the states (went international for my degree), I found that I lacked the field work experience required for jobs I wanted to apply for, internships I applied for didn't want to take me because I didn't graduate from a regionally accredited university, and I lacked the fisheries coursework required of fish and wildlife jobs. 

It could just be me though.

If you want to do masters then phd then honestly, I feel like you could get into a masters program now and then do really well there and apply to phd programs. It doesnt have to be a really highly ranked school... as long as you do really well and have professors who can write letters saying that you are at the top of your class then a local state school would probably be fine.